• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Changing diet?

Birb_Owner

Moving in
Real Name
Cassie
Hi im Cassie ive had my baby budgie for a while now and she’s super sweet and I love her so much but I just have one problem wi the her. she only eats seeds/millet and idk how to change her diet. she won’t eat pellets and I don’t know how to encourage her to do that but I do think that she kinda likes this chop with veggies I make for her so that’s good. I just wanna take the best care I can of my beautiful girl and make sure she stays healthy.
Also she has a pink nose does that mean she’s male or female plz let me know. Tysm!!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If they're young and the cere is pink in daylight then they're a boy.

:congrats3:

:welcomegroup:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It takes them a while to get used to the pellets, from what I have read. Mine get the Zupreem extra small (I think it's a Canary on front of bag), but I'm honestly not sure they eat them, so I give them chop, a bit of boiled egg (not too much), raw spinach, Cheerios (as a treat), and other delectable budgie stuff. Good luck, and keep trying! Some have said they grind pellets to a dust and sprinkle the dust on their seed, thereby assuring that they get SOME!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Patience and routine and taking the time to eat in front of her (if you have a trusting relationship)! I have a parent-fed, hand-raised bird who given but not really taught it was okay to eat veggies, and he is just going to take patience. Sprouts are another option! Check out the "Sprouting for your budgie" sticky at the top of the budgie forum. If yours already likes chop that is a BIG deal!

For my stubborn (but very tame) little guy, me eating pellets + grinding them up with mortar and pestle and covering his chop + seeds with them taught him they were okay to eat, but he still eats them selectively when nothing else is left. Even a little variation is better than none at all!

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Try to offer pellets in different ways. Some birds will accept pellets right away and others won't. You can try crushing up pellets and sprinkling it on top of your budgie's food, adding water to pellets to make them mushy, bake them into birdie bread, add them into chop, eat them yourself, play with them with your fingers and act all excited, ect. Patience is key, and it depends on the bird. Oscar took to his pellets right away as a 3-month old baby. In fact, right now as I'm typing he's eating a pellet. Try different pellet brands as well and get creative with how you offer them. It can take months for your bird, or weeks, but just remember to keep trying. Good luck, @Birb_Owner .