• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Changing cage layout - how often for hormonal hens?

Kori

Walking the driveway
Azuki is only 3 months old so just thinking about this in advance. I generally change toys and layout once a month. If/when she is obviously hormonal, should I change to every two weeks? More often?
She is so affectionate and bonded to me that I'm already kind of expecting this to be a battle... She's getting 12 hours of dark now (not necessarily sleep) and will increase that too, if needed.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Actually, birds don't like a change. It's like a tree, how often do trees change? Birds feel safe and secure if all is normal and unchanged.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I do change things around but the perches stay where they are so the birds can be safe if they get scared - their flight reflex is to go straight to a high perch, if it's not there...... ouchie!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I change the whole layout of my birds cages probably every 2 months or so, and switch perch placement etc. they are used to things being changed up by now and it doesn't usually phase them when their cage setup is different now, unless there is a big new toy they haven't seen yet or something like that. But I still keep like their favorite sleep perches in the same place consistently and food bowls in the same place all the time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can drop the daylight hours to 8 if hormones become a problem (don't ease it in - just do it) ... if you need to change the cage do it immediately when you realize there's a problem.

I'm not wording this well. It's more of an emergency act, not a schedule.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I go off behaviour. If I notice something that concerns me, the cage gets rearranged. If it was really concerning I continue once weekly till I am comfortable everything is back to normal again.

Kori

Walking the driveway
Actually, birds don't like a change. It's like a tree, how often do trees change? Birds feel safe and secure if all is normal and unchanged.
I guess that's the reasoning behind changing things about for hens, so they don't feel comfortable enough to think about laying. Otherwise I've heard it's good to change things about to keep things interesting - like flying to another tree. But I guess it doesn't have to be so often.

Kori

Walking the driveway
I do change things around but the perches stay where they are so the birds can be safe if they get scared - their flight reflex is to go straight to a high perch, if it's not there...... ouchie!
Good point! I never changed Pinko's sleep perch and in all honestly the other perches got changed much less than the toys.

Kori

Walking the driveway
I change the whole layout of my birds cages probably every 2 months or so, and switch perch placement etc. they are used to things being changed up by now and it doesn't usually phase them when their cage setup is different now, unless there is a big new toy they haven't seen yet or something like that. But I still keep like their favorite sleep perches in the same place consistently and food bowls in the same place all the time.
Yes, same. I never changed Pinko's sleep perch. I've yet to work out Azuki's favorite sleeping spot because she can always hear me coming and flies up to meet me straight away :wacky:

Kori

Walking the driveway
You can drop the daylight hours to 8 if hormones become a problem (don't ease it in - just do it) ... if you need to change the cage do it immediately when you realize there's a problem.

I'm not wording this well. It's more of an emergency act, not a schedule.
Thanks, I'll do that. And after that initial change, how often would you keep it up if she's still looking hormonal?

Kori

Walking the driveway
I go off behaviour. If I notice something that concerns me, the cage gets rearranged. If it was really concerning I continue once weekly till I am comfortable everything is back to normal again.
Thank you. I'll try and do similar.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I’ve ummed and ahhed about this for years with my avian vet! I find generally people suggest to keep things the same but I’ve finally come to the conclusion that switching things up every now and again is what’s best for my budgies! I swap toys around and will occasionally adjust perches. One of my budgies seems to get a tad territorial if I don’t, and she becomes incredibly excited and curious if she sees me switching a toy.
My budgies are weirdos though.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
My budgies are weirdos though.
So are mine...lol. I will be honest in that having a hen and as well as a male budgie I've been anticipating problems. I am probably worrying too much. There has been no signs of mating. I think Scout would be OK with this scenario but Sammy is a no go and he abides by her preferences. I do change their cage and flying stations around but it is more because I am bored with it than they are. I never change the perches in their cage however. If I ever see Sammy appearing amorous then I will change them ASAP but so far not a problem.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks, I'll do that. And after that initial change, how often would you keep it up if she's still looking hormonal?
Months.