• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Changed cages

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
My sweet Lucy, cocktail, is 16.5 years old. She has mobility issues. I think it's arthritis in her feet but unsure. About 2 years ago she had what I think was a stroke. Before then she could fly, paid better attention and all the normal stuff. Afterwards she cannot fly, she flops, she has little to no grip in her feet at times. I had posted about this in the cocktail forum and was advised to come here. Until today she had a large cage and would fall frequently. I had towels and blankets to soften the fall. She also has a harder time leaning forward to eat and drink from bowls, falling face first from time to time. I had used a cup and lid in the bowl to prevent drowning. I carry her when she is out, usually having to let her on the back of my hand so she can stand up better. Today I moved her into the smaller cage I had my conure in, I probably should have done the switch earlier. So I wonder what else I can do to make her life better and safer. Any ideas? 20211220_163407.jpg Lumii_20211220_163448192.jpg

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I have an African gray with mobility issues as well. What I did for him was to divide his cage into an upper and lower level so that the ceiling is relatively low. I lowered all his perches, covered most of his perches with vet wrap, added platform perches, lowered his food and water to ground level and removed the grate on the bottom of his cage, then lined it with lots of paper and a nice soft layer of paper towels on top in case he falls. It made a huge difference in his life. He now enjoys playing with his toys without risk of falling, his feet have improved since he has a flat place to walk on and he is braver about exploring his cage (he is also nearly blind). As far as the water goes, we sometimes put marbles in the water container for tiny chicks to keep them from drowning. That might help your bird as well.
tempImageyHjCjb.jpg tempImage42wr0C.jpg
The top is his playground where he can take a bath, and play on ground level with his foot toys. His bottom is where he sleeps at night and provides more climbing opportunities. I have to move him between the levels but I do plan on fixing it so that he can use a ramp to go between the levels. He spends days upstairs and then evening and nighttime downstairs.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
The sand perch may be bothering her feet :(

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
The K&H heated bird perch has helped my birds arthritis. I wrapped the heated perch with vet wrap to give it a little cushion and grip. I rescued a bird with an impeded ankle band. While she was recovering she couldn't grip and would some times fall. I added a second plate form (maded it out of cardboard) and the bottom of the cage I put a baby changing mattress padd with a pee pad on top and then paper towels. I didn't use a towel because I thought her toes could get stuck in the fabric.

Because your bird has a little difficulty bending over to eat why not stick some foods on a food spear and set an L shaped water dish where she can access it without bending down too far. Hope this helps.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I wasn't sure how safe it is to put the vet wrap around the heated perch so I opted for the side mounted. I just got it so Walter hasn't gotten too close to it yet, but if I know Walter I should find out in about two weeks. I like the idea of a baby changing pad, I wonder if Walter would chew it.