• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Change In Diet - Change In Droppings?

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
(Before anyone reads this I'm planning on taking them to the vet sometime in October, so I will be visiting an avian vet, I just need some experiences/advice on what people might think these issues are. :) )
I have a budgie named Manny who doesn't have tail feathers - after doing some research I've concluded that this corresponds with some type of liver trouble that I'm helping fix by getting him from a seed-only diet to the pellets/veggies/sprouts he eats now.
All three of my birds' droppings have changed dramatically since I've changed them over to pellets and veggies. I was thinking it may be because I feed them colored pellets (which is subject to change) and their mineral block is strawberry, and I tried out a new kind of millet that's pink too and that's why the urine portion of their droppings has pinkish tint?
I was worried something more serious was wrong but then I realized the light pink "juices" were from feeding raspberries and strawberries. (Not too frequently!)
I did some more research and another website (I forget which one) said that greener droppings mean that the bird isn't eating enough!

What I need to know is:
- Does feeding green food make the droppings more green?
- If the food is damp from rinsing will the excess water make the droppings runny?
- Why are some of the droppings smaller?
- How do I ensure that all of the birds are getting their fair share, and that there's not food aggression/bullying going on around the pellet dish?
- If I stopped feeding fresh veggies for three days, and let the excess liquids/green foods "cleanse out" of their diet, will I be able to tell if any of these symptoms are more serious?

I'm a serious worrier, and I need some peace of mind! Thank you!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can't help, sorry. I do know I scared myself after feeding my zons something (Blackberry maybe?) -so I understand the fear.

Others will be along that can help though.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I'm glad someone understands haha, on the other forum I was a part of the only responses I got were to "quit worrying," and to stop feeding fruits altogether if it scared me that much. o_O

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I will have to think of some responses.....
But am glad you have an appointment with an avian vet.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
It's not really an appointment, it's more of the fact that my avian vet allows walk-ins and I was going to get my birds in before winter hits here, and before I go on vacation to Utah for Halloween - I don't want my sister to deal with any health issues for me. :D

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I've heard budgie people talking about "french molt" with birds that have tail feather issues, which is really polyoma virus. Could be the issue with that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I do know that droppings are green when a bird is eating mostly seeds. When eating pellets droppings are more to the brown side. I avoided any colored processed bird foods because of the dyes, even vegetable dyes. That is why I chose Harrisons pellets and Roudybush. I don't believe water on the rinsed greens will be of any significant amounts. Mostly its the fruits that make runny droppings. What foods are you referring to stopping for a few days? How many birds in one cage and how many dished of pellets are you placing in that cage?

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I've heard budgie people talking about "french molt" with birds that have tail feather issues, which is really polyoma virus. Could be the issue with that.
I've never heard of that, so I'll check it out!

What foods are you referring to stopping for a few days? How many birds in one cage and how many dished of pellets are you placing in that cage?
I was thinking that since I feed broccoli and spinach so often I should stop that for about three days to see if the droppings go back to their normal dark color? It was just a trial-basis thing and if I didn't see any improvement I'd begin feeding them again. Now that I think about it, I tried out a new herb mix that the birds have been getting every other day for about a week so I'll stop feeding that and see if anything improves.
I have three birds in my cage and I have one dish of pellets available in the cage because I watch them on and off to make sure my female isn't too bossy, and the youngest seems to feed at a different time than the other two. Should I be putting more pellet-cups in the cage?

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Yes, eating different-coloured food will affect the colour and texture of their droppings. I refer to the leavings from Zupreem Fruity as "amazing technicolor dreampoop." :laugh: (Seriously, it hardens into nasty orange cement.) The first time I gave my conure cherries I just about had a heart attack when his droppings turned the most alarming black, until I realized that oh of course that's when happens when you mix dark red with dark greenish-brownish.

I wouldn't worry too much about aiming for a specific colour (especially if you are going with a coloured pellet). Feed them food that you know is healthy, including fresh veggies. When you taken them in to see the vet, the vet can check for health problems and if they are healthy then you can start to develop a sense for what their droppings normally look like and just watch for any changes that you can't easily explain by them eating something brightly coloured. Until you actually have an expert opinion on their condition, trying to practice "poop divination" is just going to worry you.

I'm glad you're going to get them checked out. The one missing tail feathers may have a health problem, or it could be that one or more of the others is bullying him and it might be best to house him separately at least for a while.

You might try putting in a couple more dishes in different spots so they have multiple feeding stations. Then they don't have to squabble for feeding rights, and giving them different places to forage is enriching for them anyway.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I'm glad you're going to get them checked out. The one missing tail feathers may have a health problem, or it could be that one or more of the others is bullying him and it might be best to house him separately at least for a while.
I know for sure it's not bullying or anything of the sort because that's how he looked when I bought him. So at least I don't need to worry about that! :)

You might try putting in a couple more dishes in different spots so they have multiple feeding stations. Then they don't have to squabble for feeding rights, and giving them different places to forage is enriching for them anyway.
Thank you for the tip! I put the other plastic dish in on the other side full of pellets so now there's two dishes in there.

Your advice helped so much, thank you a ton! I feel so much better about everything now!:smug:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just a note to you that plastic feeding dishes are not known to be in the "best of" category. They can get scratches in the plastic and harbor bacteria. Same goes for cats and dogs and humans. Stainless steel or crocks are better.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
- Does feeding green food make the droppings more green?
It can, but so can feeding seeds and dyes.

- If the food is damp from rinsing will the excess water make the droppings runny?
More moist foods can result in looser droppings, but so can stress and illness.

- Why are some of the droppings smaller?

Maybe dependent on how often the bird goes to the bathroom?

- How do I ensure that all of the birds are getting their fair share, and that there's not food aggression/bullying going on around the pellet dish?

Multiple food dishes...

- If I stopped feeding fresh veggies for three days, and let the excess liquids/green foods "cleanse out" of their diet, will I be able to tell if any of these symptoms are more serious?

Maybe... maybe not.... just want to say though that spinach should probably be fed in small quantities. It contains oxalic acid that binds with calcium. It's still healthy to feed, it just might be a good idea to feed other leafy greens over spinach.