• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Chameleon!

T.C.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ty
If it’s been awhile & it’s eating & you have the correct setup then it’s probably fine. Even though testing for parasites is a good idea. That can sneak up on you even if they seem alright at first. And if you add any chameleons from breeders you can accidentally spread the fun from the wild caught. Captive chameleons can also get parasites from their feeders so testing periodically (about every 6 months) can keep you on top of any issues. A small load is normal & even healthy but when the count goes thru the roof they can die from either the load or trying to treat such a large number. I think my parasite testing supplies come out to like 150-250 for everything. The initial setup is the costly part. I already had a microscope from testing the beardie when I had him & sexing tarantula molts.
Yeah, the setup and all that is a little bit more expensive for chameleons verses other reptiles. Originally I had bought one from a petco store in florida. It died a few days after, I believe at that time it was due to poor nutrition.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Pet store chameleons are known coccidia carriers & it kills them when the load gets high enough & it’s always high in the petstore ones… high humidity no ventilation nightmare setups where the parasite thrives in the poop that isn’t drying out & crickets climb all over it before being eaten by the chameleon reinfecting them again and again. And petstore setups rarely have the right lighting & supplements so the animal is already stressed & in compromised health making it even easier for the parasite load to get out of hand. Beginnings of an RI are also not uncommon in petstore chameleons because of the whole lack of ventilation high humidity temp thing.

So beginning of RI, parasite load, vit a deficiency, MBD beginnings…so not an uncommon story:( It’s honestly worse to deal with than getting a wild caught haha. At least you know they were eating their vitamins, in fresh air & sunning themselves just fine out there in the wild.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
This guy turned out 10 times better than expected :starshower1:

He is officially named Amaris. I went with the Child of the Moon definition.

And this is Ayla & hopefully 19 minis. They are Ambanja Panther Chameleons if anyone missed it.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Amaris is stunning.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

And this is Ayla & hopefully 19 minis. They are Ambanja Panther Chameleons if anyone missed it.

Gorgeous! Where do you sell your babies? I’ve been thinking of getting one.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Oh my word, they're stunning! Chameleons have always been one of my dream pets, how much effort are they (roughly)? :awww:

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Amaris is beautiful :heart:

He looks a lot like a jolly rancher :roflmao:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh my word, they're stunning! Chameleons have always been one of my dream pets, how much effort are they (roughly)? :awww:
All of the effort. Like bird level, if not more :roflmao:

Plus if you look at them wrong, they try to die.
(Slight exaggeration, sort of. They require such specific parameters in heat and humidity and are so fragile, it takes nothing for a chameleon to pass. I've kept one and it was a "never again" situation)

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Gorgeous! Where do you sell your babies? I’ve been thinking of getting one.
Right now I have no one available & not currently doing a waitlist. Once the eggs hatch I’ll be putting names together but they won’t leave until probably close to 6 months after they hatch. I might have females available around 4 months old though. Panther eggs take an average of 5-8 months to hatch & that number can double if they are being slow. So the earliest I expect babies to leave is around January 2024.

They do usually have multiple clutches so I’ll probably have to dig up more eggs this month. I also have a second female that will be paired once receptive.

I don’t find them difficult but you can’t cheap out & cut corners. Helmeted & Jackson require more effort because of night temp requirements which can be a bit harder to achieve but panthers & veiled are fairly start forward. You’ll need to get the right lighting & supplements plus schedule. I use an app & smart plugs to schedule all the lighting & foggers.

A lot of people go a little crazy with regulating the environment. I don’t do that myself. I know the room temp & basking temp but I don’t measure that on a daily basis. I don’t measure humidity at all but I use real plants & a fogger at night. Real plants up humidity, doesn’t hold bacteria like plastic, doesn’t rip out tongues & doesn’t cause blockage when eaten. Humidity drops during the day & cranks up as high as you can get it at night. I do have one or two sides covered mostly to keep them from seeing each other but it also helps to keep some humidity in.

If you are going to drop any money on readers I would get a UV index reader. Mine was about $200 but is worth the money (plus accurate) to make sure they are getting the right amount of UV & that their bulb hasn’t died.

Chameleons do die fairly easy from incorrect setups but petstore or wild caught animals are basically always sick with either MBD and/or parasites. Most people also set them up incorrect because of bad petstore info & they don’t survive well under that much wrong info. If you wanted a specific species I can help you setup anything I have right now.

So yeah most days I don’t do anything with the chameleons besides the dripper for their drinking or feeding them.

This is Amaris setup. He finally has pvc/plastic covering the sides instead of paper in this photo haha. I kept forgetting to pick that up from the store.

Last edited:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Right now I have no one available & not currently doing a waitlist. Once the eggs hatch I’ll be putting names together but they won’t leave until probably close to 6 months after they hatch. I might have females available around 4 months old though. Panther eggs take an average of 5-8 months to hatch & that number can double if they are being slow. So the earliest I expect babies to leave is around January 2024.

They do usually have multiple clutches so I’ll probably have to dig up more eggs this month. I also have a second female that will be paired once receptive.

I don’t find them difficult but you can’t cheap out & cut corners. Helmeted & Jackson require more effort because of night temp requirements which can be a bit harder to achieve but panthers & veiled are fairly start forward. You’ll need to get the right lighting & supplements plus schedule. I use an app & smart plugs to schedule all the lighting & foggers.

A lot of people go a little crazy with regulating the environment. I don’t do that myself. I know the room temp & basking temp but I don’t measure that on a daily basis. I don’t measure humidity at all but I use real plants & a fogger at night. Real plants up humidity, doesn’t hold bacteria like plastic, doesn’t rip out tongues & doesn’t cause blockage when eaten. Humidity drops during the day & cranks up as high as you can get it at night. I do have one or two sides covered mostly to keep them from seeing each other but it also helps to keep some humidity in.

If you are going to drop any money on readers I would get a UV index reader. Mine was about $200 but is worth the money (plus accurate) to make sure they are getting the right amount of UV & that their bulb hasn’t died.

Chameleons do die fairly easy from incorrect setups but petstore or wild caught animals are basically always sick with either MBD and/or parasites. Most people also set them up incorrect because of bad petstore info & they don’t survive well under that much wrong info. If you wanted a specific species I can help you setup anything I have right now.

So yeah most days I don’t do anything with the chameleons besides the dripper for their drinking or feeding them.

This is Amaris setup. He finally has pvc/plastic covering the sides instead of paper in this photo haha. I kept forgetting to pick that up from the store.

Maybe one day, they sound like a pet i'd be able to handle! I love reptiles but have always been hesitant to own any. Chameleons are something which i'd love. Thanks for letting me know!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
All of the effort. Like bird level, if not more :roflmao:

Plus if you look at them wrong, they try to die.
(Slight exaggeration, sort of. They require such specific parameters in heat and humidity and are so fragile, it takes nothing for a chameleon to pass. I've kept one and it was a "never again" situation)
Sounds a bit like my hermit crabs :laugh:, i'm up at 3am when the weather changes to make sure that their temp hasn't spiked up. Plus, Sparrow thinks it's a great idea to put all of the meat products in his bowl, out the bowl, and in the hides. The hides are humid, they get mouldy. :depressed:. I love them though

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@riddick07 Wow, I didn't know the incubation was so long for panther eggs! I have both a 36X18X36 glass Exo-terra cage and a screen enclosure of identical dimensions and a mister system all set. I'm hoping to get a chameleon sometime this year, maybe.

But I'm a pretty patient person and sometimes take months to years to decide to get a pet. I adopted my second parrot after about 6 years of deliberation. My reptiles consist of four captive-bred garter snakes.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Wow just wow!!!
:swoon::cloud9::wow::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::wow::starscfe:
So gorgeous so amazing such dedication

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
There's a guy online on YouTube who hand raised a Chameleon similar to what you have and the little guy actually wanted to hang out on him and get attention. He was like a bonded bird, dog, or cat. He would try to chase him down and put out his arms to be picked up. Unfortunately during one of the cold snaps in Florida or whare ever he's at he got chilled and died. He got another one and is raising him the same way and really takes good care of him. He hasn't posted in a long time so don't know how he and his critter are doing but it was cool how fond they were of each other.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Added a second Ambanja boy. I’m thinking Rakesh for the name.

Amaris has been paired to his other girl. I decided on Elara for her name.

Elaras Lineage

She’s completely done with boys now. She caught sight of the new guy & was not having it:rofl:

Aylas eggs are doing well. Almost at the 2 month mark now!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Oh my gosh! That's seriously the coolest colored chameleon I've ever seen! He doesn't even seem real. :heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Added a second Ambanja boy. I’m thinking Rakesh for the name.

Amaris has been paired to his other girl. I decided on Elara for her name.

Elaras Lineage

She’s completely done with boys now. She caught sight of the new guy & was not having it:rofl:

Aylas eggs are doing well. Almost at the 2 month mark now!
I just can't believe the colors they can come in! They are just out of this world gorgeous.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are they bred in different colours like budgies or is this natural species variation?! If they’re bred that way did they hybridize to increase the number of colours?