• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chako the Peach-Faced Lovebird

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww she´s soooo cute!!! Love her!! :cloud9: :loveshower:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
She's simultaneously the friendliest and angriest lovebird I've ever met.
He many lovebirds have you met?:chin:Looks like she is training you well.

Reactions: Ali

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
@DoubleTake I've always been a budgie owner. The only other time I've met lovebirds was at a pet store that I rarely go to with a friend who was buying hay for their guinea pigs. They seem skittish and not hand-tame. There was an energetic one in there, but wasn't really angry as much as curious nips.

Chako's such an attention hog that when I was visiting my boyfriend's house with friends, she would fly over to the dining table when we were gathered all around. She's also bonded enough to my boyfriend and his family (she thinks of them as her flock) that when she's outside with them, she'd usually be with them (though I wouldn't normally recommend someone to free-flight small birds). She also likes to attack stuffed animals, towels, figurines, and pretty much a lot of things.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
How adorable!! :cloud9:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s so adorable! Wow, 16 - she’s still looking so young and lively. :heart:

Eek, I wouldn’t let my lovebirds fly outside no matter how bonded they are to me! :o: Way too scary. He’s not afraid something could happen to her?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Eek, I wouldn’t let my lovebirds fly outside no matter how bonded they are to me! :o: Way too scary.
Same! Terrifying.

It only takes one spook, maybe a bird flying overhead, a helicopter, car sound, weird bang in the neighbourhood etc (the list is endless). I encourage your guys to rethink that. Invest in a little cage so she can go out safely, or spend time harness training.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
@fluffypoptarts @Zara I'm the same with small birds. Scary for me too. >.> I'd never let them fly outside in the open. The most I'd do with my budgies is walk outside with them with the birds inside a pak-o-bird backpack.

He doesn't usually take her outside, and only happens rarely. She usually prefers to be indoors, though the outdoors don't scare her at all. He's attempted to put a bird harness on her before, but she doesn't like harnesses. I personally wouldn't free-fly any bird smaller than a cockatiel.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and only happens rarely. S
It only takes one time.
Maybe you can make him understand? Explain the dangers to him.
I just don't want anything bad to happen to her.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
@Zara I bought it up before, and I also known him long enough and he's knowledgable with birds enough that his lovie isn't in danger. Freeflying small birds isn't a very normal occasion, not to say it isn't impossible. It's not something I'd recommend unless they have professional training in it. I also know someone who professionally free-flys cockatiels on top of free-flying cockatoos and conures.