• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I can confirm he is absolutely gorgeous. But I assume you are looking for a more professional opinion ;)
Hehe thank you! We think so too. Who would think such a tiny cute package contains such mischief and fun!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I'd expect between 2 and 3 more months, but some are late developers. It's nothing to worry about. Just one day you'll turn around and realise puberty is over and you have a young adult. Enjoy these coming months.
Thanks for your insight! One more question- is he likely to grow any bigger in size? He is TINY! Compared to budgies I've had previously, he's like like a miniature budgie.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He won't grow much bigger than he is, if at all. If your other budgies were noticeably larger could they have been English Budgies (show budgies bred to be larger)?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Would a Recessive Pied always have this tone of skyblue or can it vary? I think Nova is Sky Recessive Pied but she has grey on her back, not white like Flynn.
For the fun, I tried to calculate what mutation Nova and Merlin (SF Spangle violet I think)'s babies could have, but I didn't understand how this Genetic calculator worked... :huh:
1.0 = male
0.1 = female

Breeder terms.... as far as I've seen. i.e. they have 7 birds, in a ratio of 2.5 or perhaps 4.3 in terms of gender.

I had one hen that I believe was Dutch Pied. Dutch Pieds look recessive but they are actually dominant mutations. Recessive pieds will have completely black eyes and a males cere will always remain pink/tan in coloration. Dutch Pieds get the white eyering like Dominant Pieds and males will have the blue/purple cere. She was sky blue with patches of violet. That's the beauty of pieds - they can vary so much!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Beautiful!!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Ripshod do you think this 11 week old is a male or female?

I'm on the lookout for a friend for Flynn and came across this little one.
I'd hate to say from those pics. I'd really like to see clearer pics of the cere.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Miss_sj from your pictures in your cage thread (much clearer) you have a young boy.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can anyone help me find out Kiwi's gender? Kiwi is an estimated 2 months and 3 weeks old.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Ripshod Thank you for the help! I assumed he was a boy (Especially beacause he loves to stand on my head and preen my hair) but I really wasn't sure so thanks for the wonderfull help! :D
:budgie:Kiwi!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Can anyone help find out this budgies gender? He/she is young, hitting 4 or 5 months.
20190813_163444_Film4.jpg 20190324_134130.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
At 4-5 months old, I'd actually say male.... female should have a clearly white cere by now. Might need to wait a bit longer! ;)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Nova's ceres has been brown since May. at the beginning it was tan, now it looks like she has a raisin on her beak.. How long will it remain that way??

20190823_191749.jpg 20190824_111552.jpg