• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes male looks like the mutation you wrote just like my Murphy. Not sure on female. They look so cute together.
The cere changes as maturity sets in.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Bump! Anyone who'd know what color Nova is?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Hi! I'm hoping someone can confirm my baby for me! We're getting our 2nd from a breeder in a couple weeks and it would be great to know Jo's gender for sure. When we got him (from Petsmart) they said he was a boy, so we've been calling him a him, but if we're wrong I assume I need to make sure my 2nd baby IS a boy as they'll have a better chance of getting along. Seems like I've read a lot on females not always being very nice to each other.
I apologize for the pics not being great, "he's" super active/sociable with me so it's hard to get a shot that's not blurry! lol Also, Petsmart insisted on clipping his beautiful wings (they stated was "policy") Screenshot_20190604-200656.png Screenshot_20190604-200656.png Screenshot_20190604-200815.png
so I also have tons of perches, brances, swings etc in his cage so he can move from one to the next easier. I really wish I knew more about clipping when we got him, I would have refused
Any help would be appreciated!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@JoJo&Loki Leaning towards Jo being male based on the images, but if you could get some more pictures with his cere in natural sunlight, that may help.

Surprised it was policy to clip since they leave the birds flighted... unless it's that particular store?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Leaning more to female because i barley see white rings around nostrils if you get photos in natural window light we could be more sure.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Thanks for the replies! I think the camera on my phone isn't good enough. I've gone through all my pics and can't find a better one of the cere. I'll use my daughters iPhone tomorrow in natural sunlight. The cere is purple and does sometimes in certain light appear lighter around the nostrils, but not white. Hence my confusion lol
Regarding the wings...it was weird as the 1st time we visited I spoke to them and they mentioned nothing. However, on another visit we stated we were definitely trying to tame/let the bird out of the cage and THAT is when I was told they must clip the wings
Thanks again for your opinions I'll get some better pics on a better camera in the morning!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The flight feathers should grow back in about 8 to 12 months. Have they fledged do you know?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
No, not yet. I asked how long until they'd grow back when they were doing it and was told 3 or 4 months. Obviously , I now know that's not true. I still hate myself for allowing it- had I known then what I know now I would've asked for the manager and refused. Every time I see him climbing around finding ways around the cage without flying I hate myself a little bit :(

I keep saying him lol if he does turn out to be a she I'll need time to learn to stop saying he!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ladders are good for them now. I got a tall ladder and put it on the floor up to the cage door. My budgies quickly learned how to get back in the cage. My two were cut by the breeder also before learning to fly, after I specifically asked him not to. They bother hit the ceiling a few times to test out flying after feathers grew back.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Thanks for the tip! I don't have any friends or relatives with birds, so this is exactly why I'm here! I've already learned so much just reading through posts. You guys are awesome :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wonder if anyone is able to confirm if little Flynn is male? It doesn't matter either way just curious. He's roughly 14 weeks old
He's a Recessive Pied at puberty so I can't be overly confident but he's looking like a male to me. If he is male his cere should stay pink/purple into adulthood.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
How long is puberty? What age do budgies become an adult? I still call him a baby!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How long is puberty? What age do budgies become an adult? I still call him a baby!
I'd expect between 2 and 3 more months, but some are late developers. It's nothing to worry about. Just one day you'll turn around and realise puberty is over and you have a young adult. Enjoy these coming months.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He's a Recessive Pied at puberty so I can't be overly confident but he's looking like a male to me. If he is male his cere should stay pink/purple into adulthood.
Would a Recessive Pied always have this tone of skyblue or can it vary? I think Nova is Sky Recessive Pied but she has grey on her back, not white like Flynn.
For the fun, I tried to calculate what mutation Nova and Merlin (SF Spangle violet I think)'s babies could have, but I didn't understand how this Genetic calculator worked... :huh:

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I can confirm he is absolutely gorgeous. But I assume you are looking for a more professional opinion ;)
:rofl: there would be many many budgies falling into that kind of mutation but thanks anyway :xflove:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Would a Recessive Pied always have this tone of skyblue or can it vary? I think Nova is Sky Recessive Pied but she has grey on her back, not white like Flynn.
For the fun, I tried to calculate what mutation Nova and Merlin (SF Spangle violet I think)'s babies could have, but I didn't understand how this Genetic calculator worked... :huh:
Recessive Pieds come with all the normal colour variations. Occasionally you can get one where the blue is almost totally absent so it'll look plain white or yellow and can be mistaken for lutino or albino.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Recessive Pieds come with all the normal colour variations. Occasionally you can get one where the blue is almost totally absent so it'll look plain white or yellow and can be mistaken for lutino or albino.
Thanks, that mutation thing is complicated but quite fun too, once you get into it :confused: