• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cere flaking

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
Hello, my newest addition is concerning me. His cere is peeling, and the feathers above it are a little brown. He's almost 3 months old. Is it possible he has a vitamin A deficiency? Or the very beginning of a molt? Its hard to see in the picture.

He's seems normal. He has been singing and trying to get out of his cage as normal. Where I live there is not a lot of options for vets. I'm asking around for ones that have bird knowledge.

Attachments

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Hello, my newest addition is concerning me. His cere is peeling, and the feathers above it are a little brown. He's almost 3 months old. Is it possible he has a vitamin A deficiency? Or the very beginning of a molt? Its hard to see in the picture.

He's seems normal. He has been singing and trying to get out of his cage as normal. Where I live there is not a lot of options for vets. I'm asking around for ones that have bird knowledge.
I don't have any advice on what's wrong, but I'm commenting to move your post up so more people can see it because someone probably has an idea. My only suggestion would be if you don't have a vet nearby to maybe call one and see if they can give over the phone advice. Best of luck!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t really see the picture too well to be honest.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please get a better photo. Closer up tp your bird in natural window light.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
This is the best pic I could get. He's moves fast. It's pretty dry here and he eats seeds. I just started putting prime vitamin in his water. 20200809_125509.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is the best pic I could get. He's moves fast. It's pretty dry here and he eats seeds. I just started putting prime vitamin in his water. View attachment 349328
Budgies seem healthiest at 50-60% humidity. If you don't have a humidifier you can hang wet towels in front of a fan to raise it.
To be honest I don't see anything wrong with the cere in that photo. The bottom edge is where the beak grows from so there's always a little separation at the bottom, much like your fingernails and their cuticles.
It doesn't look like he needs extra vitamins so I'd hold off with them for now, at least until a vet has told you there's a problem. Too much of certain vitamins (vitamin toxicity) is often worse than a lack.

Last edited: