• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceramic clothing iron?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Been trying to look up using a ceramic clothing iron around the birds but coming up with nothing.

I was considering ironing my clothes with the birds in the living room (closed cage of course) but wasn't sure about it? It doesn't say it's non-stick, it's ceramic and just steam. Anybody know for sure?

I can wheel them out no problem, I'm just being a bit lazy and would appreciate their company during such a boring task :lol:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don't use your iron with them. I suspect my iron is non-stick & that a lot of them aren't labeled. Here is my cautionary tale.

It was a hand-me-down iron from ages ago, so I don't have documentation, etc., but thanks to it, a non-stick item snuck into my home, which was anti non-stick before I ever got birds, as is the home of the person who gave it to me.

I was doing some mini-sewing several weeks ago & ironing silk. Suddenly Marzipan began to scream. He does this for smoke too, from the neighbours, & other offensive smells that periodically infiltrate our apartment. Pistachio looked grim.

I opened all the windows. It was awhile before they were normal again. I'd not risk it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Mizzely

I don’t own an iron as I hate the smell and feel of ironed clothes but I was under the impression that ceramic (pfte and pfoa free) were safe to use. The ironing board covers can be an issue I believe as they’re usually Teflon coated

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't use your iron with them. I suspect my iron is non-stick & that a lot of them aren't labeled. Here is my cautionary tale.

It was a hand-me-down iron from ages ago, so I don't have documentation, etc., but thanks to it, a non-stick item snuck into my home, which was anti non-stick before I ever got birds, as is the home of the person who gave it to me.

I was doing some mini-sewing several weeks ago & ironing silk. Suddenly Marzipan began to scream. He does this for smoke too, from the neighbours, & other offensive smells that periodically infiltrate our apartment. Pistachio looked grim.

I opened all the windows. It was awhile before they were normal again. I'd not risk it.
@Mizzely

I don’t own an iron as I hate the smell and feel of ironed clothes but I was under the impression that ceramic (pfte and pfoa free) were safe to use. The ironing board covers can be an issue I believe as they’re usually Teflon coated
In the end I decided to take them out of the room to avoid the risk - but was wondering what others thought.

But yeah, when something doesn't mention a lack of pfte/pfoa it's not really comforting @Sparkles99 . I wish more products explicitly stated what materials they use.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would contact the company to ask to be sure :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I never even thought of the ironing board cover. Maybe that was the problem.