• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceramic and porcelain...safe?

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I know that stainless steel and glass is ok…but is ceramic and porcelain always ok, or is there some that can be dangerous? Is it a mistake to believe ceramic/porcelain kitchen “stuff” is, ok?

I have bought a pour over coffee maker for my mom, to use when my birds will be living there for a few days (while my windows and patio door are going to be replaced). I have also gotten one for myself (I myself do not drink coffee but it is intended for guests that would like some). Did I just spend money on something good or something that might kill my parrots?

I am going to give my mom the coffee set any day now and that made me panic a bit, what if it is just as bad as the coffee machine she has? Help…

I also recently got a secondhand ceramic/porcelain “cake mold” for sponge cakes and the like…is that going to be ok?

/Animallover_84

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Your ceramic pour over should be just fine. Most food grade ceramic and porcelain would be fine. I would only worry if it was fired with a non-food grade glaze. This is being sold as a food product so you should be good. When looking for products you just want to make sure they do not contain PFOA or PTFE (Teflon) if it is a heated item and that the item wasn't fired with a non-food grade glaze for items your bird may eat/drink out of.

When in doubt you can always reach out to the manufacture of the product to ask what materials the product contains as well.

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Your ceramic pour over should be just fine. Most food grade ceramic and porcelain would be fine. I would only worry if it was fired with a non-food grade glaze. This is being sold as a food product so you should be good. When looking for products you just want to make sure they do not contain PFOA or PTFE (Teflon) if it is a heated item and that the item wasn't fired with a non-food grade glaze for items your bird may eat/drink out of.

When in doubt you can always reach out to the manufacture of the product to ask what materials the product contains as well.
Ok, thank you! :whw: