• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celes hasnt been eating her food...

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Celes isn't eating her food. Rather she is eating her bedding, toys, and everything not food. I'm considering placing her in a cage with just food and water. Suggestions are desperately needed. I'm contacting my vet, but she doesn't appear ill.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
@Zara , Is there anything you can suggest? I've replaced her pellets with seed and fresh greens. I'm not sure what else to offer. She has been eating just fine until yesterday despite going at it with a toy and presenting herself for mating to my tiels.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she is eating her bedding
Consuming it or chewing it?
If she is actually swallowing it, this is very bad and can lead to crop impaction. And will need a vet to remove the material.
I would remove it. She sounds hormonal, so remove anything shreddable. Offer her some more (non shreddable) foraging opportunities, maybe a new toy if you have something on hand - a jingle toy or something with a bell.
I have Aldoras cage with no shreddables at the moment as she is a bit hormonal and would shred cotton perches, shreddable toys and have a nest built on the floor within hours. Her only perches at the moment are wooden and the pedi perch, plus the bead boing that i have fixed like a perch. (you can see it a bit in the video I posted yesterday about her new foraging toy)
Removing everything and having only food/water and no toys/foraging won´t help as it will induce boredom.

Is there anything you can suggest? I've replaced her pellets with seed and fresh greens.
Offer the pelelts too if that´s what she normally eats. Have all three available and watch her from a distance without staring. It may be possible she is eating in secret?
Have you weighed her? I would recommend that. If there´s no weight loss I wouldn´t panic just yet, but if she is losing weight, try feeding her baby bird formula until you can get to the vet.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
The vet will see her next week on Thursday and had me switch her bedding out for something organic and I picked up bedding for rabbits and gerbils. I usually use newspaper or corn cob.

All perches are natural and I never use plastic because of this type of situation with her. I got a few more foraging toys to try and yes, she is very hormonal.

I purchased a new cage with higher space between bedding and cage base for my keets, but she'll go in there instead.

I plan to get the formula today though it might take a bit to arrive. Everything local is sold out.

Thank you.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Celes is doing much better. I'm just gonna keep her on the loose seed/loose roudybush. She does have chop in the evenings.