• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebrating a win!!!

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I am so thrilled!

I have been trying for MONTHS to introduce pellets to my Dove and House Sparrow and finally, FINALLY....they are actually enjoying them.

I dont plan on taking away their seeds. I'm just aiming for more like a 50/50 pellets to seed ratio for now, not including the extra fresh veggies.

I have been at this for months and there were so many times and so much wasted food i tossed out everyday that I was close to just giving up.

But, I stuck it out and I am so happy now that i did, because all that hard and consistent effort has paid off!!

So, for the last several months, i have been offering a variety of fresh veggies with dry and soaked pellets in Harrisons super fine and fine first thing in the morning and then again for my very picky and stubborn dove at dinner. I have altered my plan and the food options several times, everything from completely removing seed during meal times, to leaving seed in/reducing seed etc

I cant say for sure what was the breaking point, but now they both eat seed and veggies!!

My senior dove was the hardest, but finally he is more accepting of this diet. It is such a joy to watch his transition to a healthier diet, so satisfying.

Strangely enough, my House sparrow prefers the Harrisons "fine" pellet soaked, and my dove prefers the "super fine" pellets dry.

Either way, i am so happy. Yay!

Never give up!! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic news!! :yah:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That is a win worth celebrating!!

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
:yahoo:That’s great! I’m still trying to get my budgie to eat pellets and veggies

Cat G

Meeting neighbors
Woohoo! So rewarding. I also just finally got my chirpie boys to eat something other than seeds and broccoli (cut up fine and disguised as seeds, lol). Stubborn butts.