• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month of December 2016: ZoeyFredrik's Sam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

We are proud to announce the December 2016 winner :wewin:of Celebirdy of the Month:

ZoeyFredrik's Sam!

:starshower::starshower::starshower:

Here's the interview!

1. How did you acquire your bird?
Sam was purchased from a local pet store. the owner was friends with a quaker breeder and he occasionally sold his birds through the store.
I didn't choose Sam though. There were 3 baby quakers in a cage. Two of the babies came right up to the door. Sam jumped on their backs, so he was able to climb out the door. The store owner choose him, since I didn't want to pick. My mom was with me and I'll always remember her saying "oh no, not the one with the evil eye." Sam has one round and one almond shaped eye.

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Samantha, 10 yrs, male. Never changed his name, even though we learned that he was male at around 4 yrs. He calls himself Samantha, but I call him Sam and Sammy. It's Samantha if he's in trouble .

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Sam can play dead pretty well. He is also very talented with a medication syringe. He can twirl it around and stuff. He is very good a taking his own collar off. He's been wearing it for a long time, due to his heart disease and plucking. He is a really big talker. I don't know if it qualifies as a trick, but Sam is really good at weaving.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Sam loves many different foods, so it's hard to pick a favorite. He loves peas, corn, apples, and oranges. He's also a big fan of egg, noodles, and pieces of cereal. He loves pomegranate juice. He has his own glass. Of course, he loves seed. Safflower is his favorite .

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Many funny things. But if I had to pick one, it would be the time Sam snuck out of his cage. (Luckily, nothing bad happened, which is why it's funny). I came home and found him sitting on top of the budgies cage. When I walked in the door he greater me with a very happy "Hi there!", which he had never said before. He was very proud of himself.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
Sam has enriched my life in many ways. I never knew how lovable a parrot could be. I never knew how smart and affectionate they were either, until I got Sam. I also learned a lot about birds from Sam and gained a greater love and respect for birds in general. I look forward to everyday I spend with Sam, he's my little Man.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Make sure you are ready for a quakers demands. They have lots of energy and a ton of personality. You have to be able to spend a lot of time with your quaker, and you must set boundries. Quakers can be territorial, and because of this can be nippy. You have to give your quaker space and at the same time let them know what behaviors are acceptable. This can be tough. Know that they are noisy. Sam can be heard outside of my house when he's in a screaming mood. Quakers can be good talkers too, and will use words in context. Quakers can be possessive of one person, but can be great family birds if well socialized. Quakers can be pluckers, so you must be careful of this. If you think your Quaker is plucking don't hesitate to take him/her to the vet. There can be an underlying cause that needs to be treated.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Sam isn't as active as he used to be. He used to be a crazy active little bird. He's is at a moderate activity level now. He had spurts of playfulness followed by some down time with naps.
Sammy isn't too loud. He has one or two screaming sessions a day (happy to be alive kind) and then he is normally pretty mild noise wise. He's very chatty though, and he'll talk with you through out the day. occasionally he'll pipe up if he sees something outside his window . He'll yell "little bird, little birdy" in a specific voice to let you know he's uncomfortable .

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Sammy is a very quirky bird. He has this thing where, when walking long distances he turns and walks sideways like he is on a perch. Sam loves to be in the kitchen (not when cooking of course). He loves pots, pans, cups, glasses, silverware, and really, really loves Tupperware. If he can get into the refrigerator he will. He'll quickly climb down my arm and head on in. He loves to look in the kitchen cabinets and occasionally will hang out with the glasses and cups. He is fascinated by the silverware drawer. If its his time of the year and he spots some Tupperware, hide your eyes.
Sam is also a foot stalker and loves to nibble toes. If you have on slippers, sometimes he'll walk by and announce that you have slippers. When Sam talks he leaves out the /r/ sound in a lot of words. He says things like "geen, ganma, supa". But then says things like "right, there, and bird" perfectly. He also calls himself a Quake-kay, on occasion and really emphasizes the last syllable. He is terrified of cylindrical objects, including perches. Wrapping paper is evil to him. He knows the sound of the closet its in and it sends terror through him. Yet, gigantic stuffed animals are not scary. He loves stuffed animals. Sam loves the color yellow, probably because I fed him formula from yellow cups when he was a baby. He also likes to tunnel under blankets and play hide and seek. Oh, and he loves to look at his feet.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
It would have to be... "Mommy, I'm a supa cute geen baby quaker birdy."
It was a mouthful.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Peanut butter!

Pic 1.jpg Pic 2.JPG Sam 3.jpg Sam 4.jpg Sam 7.jpg Sam butt.jpg Samantha 5.jpg Sammy 6.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! Sam is very cute.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5:
Sam is such a cutie:heart:

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
:Congratwav:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congratulations!

Sam...:heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
congratulations! Loved the interview! Sam is adorable and what a supa cute geen birdy!

Rolanda

:congratsbig:I LOVE the Feather Butt pic!!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sam says Thank You, he's very honored! And gives big wing hugs to everyone. :hug8::heart:

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
That yawning one :hilarious: so stinking cute!!

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award