• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - May 2021 Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of May 2021

@Shezbug 's Burt

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I bought Burt from a breeder. Once he was definitely weaned (which honestly felt like it took forever and a day) I was finally able to pick him up and bring him home, that was on Mother’s Day 2018.

C5EFA21F-7393-4A79-B346-4F407BB7717F.png

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
Burt, male, Blue and Gold Macaw hatched November 2017 making him approximately 3 1/2.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Burt waves with his feet, gives me his feet if I ask can I have them (our version of step up), does big wings, nods yes when offered something he wants or asked if he wants to do something like play ball or catch, go see Nan, go into another room, go outside etc, he nearly always flies to his perch when asked to- whichever one I point to, flies to me 99% of the time I ask him to, will stay put for a short time if I ask him to stay there, gives kisses by either poking his tongue out to touch you when asked or pressing his beak into you, plays big scary bird when asked which is a fast abrupt big wings accompanied by a scary sounding RAH or RAR- this is usually done at the dog or wild birds through the window.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Nuts are probably the very top of his food favorites list but freeze dried mango he really loves too, coconut water in a syringe- actually nearly anything in a syringe, chickpeas, angel hair pasta, my banana (they taste better when stolen or shared apparently) and bird bread are some of his most favorite things.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Funniest thing he’s done, omg there’s so many. I think it’s gonna be obsessively stealing and dramatically throwing or draping my underwear over himself and flying around with it. Weirdo

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
I had a really bad fall a while before getting Burt which completely changed every aspect of my life, my coping mechanisms, my abilities and who I knew myself as was all gone in a flash and everything that was simple before became quite a struggle, I have had to learn to be a new me even though I would rather the old me back lol. I gave up on everything for a while so Burt has enriched my life by simply being there- giving me every reason to be happy, living in and enjoying the moment, being thankful for what I have and who I have in my life, staying motivated and keeping some type of healthy routine, he’s also made me look at the things I can still do or have learned to do differently and be grateful for those instead of focusing on the things I can no longer do. I really need to push myself physically to keep up with everything he needs and deserves so that means I have to organize, plan and look after myself as best I can and keep trying instead of just dwelling on how everything has become the opposite of what I planned for. Burt just makes everything about life so much more worthwhile, he greets me each morning with enthusiasm and love- I need him more than he could ever need me I think.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
I’d tell most people considering this species (based solely on living with Burt) that they’re gonna need to be totally committed to providing their very best for a very long time and not always putting themselves first anymore, gotta be flexible with thinking and plans, willing to share a LOT of your space, realistic expectations about keeping a living flying power tool in their home is probably beneficial too, ready to make many compromises when need be, see the humour in anything and everything (it helps!), they’ll need to be resourceful, patient and ready for some big life changes. I’d tell them it will honestly be the best and sometimes most scary or worrisome ride of their life... they’ll never be the same after life with a B&G! I actually thought kids were a life changer till Burt moved in... My kids never once chewed up my kitchen tap:roflmao:

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Burt sometimes is so gentle, calm and quiet all day, humming nicely to himself, whispering and playing very gently and quietly, other days he’s like a hyperactive demolition expert, pinging cage bars, lifting and dropping cage play top tray, dropping or breaking every toy just so it crashes to the ground, tipping and throwing every food and water dish, flying in an erratic manor back and forth creating an indoor wind storm, alarm calling about every outside shadow and movement he detects. His activity and noise levels really can be like the differences between night and day

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Putting his head into my shirt through any opening he can find and sneakily checking pockets for treasures. Letting me know he is into something he should not be in by calling out "Get out of it!" or "Don't you do it!" right before he gets into it or does it. Making the raspberry sound with his beak and cheek pressed hard up against my cheek. Trying to check where nostrils lead to. Practicing to be a hairdresser. Being sweet and cute when he is tired, scared or really relaxed by leaning his body right in against me and rubbing his head against me while saying quietly “I love you.” Announcing “no earrings” right before removing one.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
Yelling across the car park "No, don't you do it!" to the vet after his last appointment. He never talks in front of people who do not live with him so that was really quite surprising, made everyone in the car park area chuckle while the vet came and
apologised to him.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
That would have to be a toss up between pine nuts, pecans, pistachios and macadamias. Definitely nuts!

BEB7E3E9-7CA4-47D8-B966-CC12F48FC14B.png BF459B64-C618-444D-AA37-50A462A99FE5.png

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Awww Burt, you are definitely a macaw - that's why mom loves your so much. Great choice.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes!!! :bliss: :bliss:
great interview!:heart:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Finally! :congrats5: Burt you handsome boy! Loved your interview!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww, Burt! :loveshower: :cngrt5:@Shezbug and Burt!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh this was such a wonderful interview, Burt is such a sweetie :heart: The underwear thing always creases me :rofl:

a living flying power tool
Had to chuckle at this as well :lol:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Such a sweet, special boy! :bliss:I love Burt and all his RAH!s and telling on himself. :xflove:

Congratulations, @Shezbug! You're a wonderful Mommy Munro! :heart2:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Burt! :heart: :starshower1::congrats5::starshower1:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Congratulations Burt! I loved reading the interview, tell mom to start posting more pictures :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:yah: :congrats5: I loved your interview, and Burt is so handsome!:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great interview! Burt's such a character :D

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Loved the comment to the vet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:yah: !!! Congratulations Burt!!! :loveshower:

I really enjoyed reading your interview Shez! So many funny stories and moments, Burt truly is special :heart2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I love that he tattles on himself. :rofl: He's such a silly lad. :heart: