• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - May 2020 - Monaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hearye:
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of May 2020

@Monaco
Monaco​

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I found her listed on rescueme.com, and started a conversation with her original owner. I'm not sure why she chose me for Monaco, but I drove to get her about a month later. That was just over 6 months ago.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
Monaco is a 20 year old female (moluccan grand) eclectus.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Her best tricks are usually at my expense. She's an excellent trainer of humans.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Grapes, mango, corn, peas, potatoes, safflower seeds, bird bread, but especially people junk food. She's lightning fast if there's food close enough to be stolen.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
She's got excellent comedic timing. She laughs at things with precision and it never fails to make me laugh too. She also does this aggressive kissing sometimes, lifts a foot, leans and swans her neck and then kisses her foot as she yanks her head back... think that Italian gesture of disgust, sort of. I think it's her way of flipping me off. Good thing it makes me laugh!

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
Let me count the ways... I eat better. My chickens eat better! I have a new relationship with newspaper that I never knew was possible. I have been altering the garden with her in mind. I have been altering the house for her to go places on her own (she's still not flighted yet.) My life has been tied to other creatures, but never quite like this. Thinking about her wellbeing from any and every aspect has changed so much for me. It's opened a window onto my complex ptsd and how to navigate it better. I relate differently to everything now. It's a privilege to be trusted by such an intelligent and vulnerable being, and it's making me into a different person.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
I would ask them to be aware of their unique dietary needs, and to consider very carefully if they are willing to modify their lifestyle (frequently and at a moments notice) to meet every need of this species, especially the females. The volume and pitch of the screams can physically hurt you!

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
She's very laid back most of the time. Her screams can peel paint, as they say, from the walls. I can feel them in my bones, but I'm not sure what's being peeled off of them. It's not for the faint. It's been a struggle to interest her in toys and foraging, but she's certainly more active now than six months ago.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
She keeps secrets! Works on her vocabulary in private, and at the perfect decibel to never be recorded. The foot kissing, the perfect timing of laughter and contextual phrases are charming. The awful quirk is screeching while I cook. It never fails that if I can't leave the kitchen I will suffer the bone throbbing consequences.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
I am still hearing new (to me) phrases that she learned in her first home, and it's a real treat when she finds something of mine interesting enough to repeat (although I do wish I sounded less like a cartoon character huffing helium.) I'm still shocked every time she says or does things in context, and the moments she chooses seem very heartfelt...truly, exceptional timing! She talks to the dogs, which is very sweet. I guess the best is when she is concerned about someone and says, "you okay? Feel better?" or, "there you go, is that better?"

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Still a mystery. She's very good at keeping her secrets! I thought cashews would be "it" , then almonds, even the caitec cookies are refused sometimes.

IMG_20191122_084445.jpg IMG_20200319_222358177.jpg IMG_20200227_154956573.jpg IMG_20200207_201704255.jpg IMG_20200115_203433009.jpg IMG_20191229_185218272.jpg

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww congrats!!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Beautiful lady! Congrats!!!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
You guys are so sweet! I bet the interview would have been very different if she hadn't been so sweet lately! Little red firecracker sometimes...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :yah: I loved reading more about Monaco!! :loveshower:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:heart: Congratulations Kelli! I loved hearing the story, and you describe those louuuuud screams really well - I almost felt I could feel those screams from here... LOL. She is such a beautiful princess - love the messy beak pic!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Monaco treated me to her version of an alarm clock today. It's one of those secret things she does when she thinks no one is listening. Some day I will capture her actual monologues for you guys. She goes quiet, of course, as soon as she knows I'm awake. I think she triangulates and times them based on where I have left a recording device.

You guys are so awesome. I'm confident the relationship I enjoy with her is shaped in no small way by the experience and help from all of you!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Yayayyay!!!! Congrats!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award