• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - March 2019 - Mango!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hearye:
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of February 2019,

@cab124
Mango

This is wonderful!!! Mango says that she is humbled and honored!!! THANK YOU!

1. How did you acquire your bird?

After losing my white-capped pionus of 21+ years suddenly in Movenber of 2017, I began visiting a pet store near work the following March just to see the birds that they had. At the time, they had some budgies and a very timid green check conure. I would stop in to visit the conure on my lunch hour over a period of several months, though I did not intend to adopt her. After a while, I began to feel very sorry for the conure because she was being housed in a very small, dark, isolated encousure. I waited, hoping someone would adopt her, but because she was so timid and afraid, no one seemed to be interested. I eventually could not stand to see her living such a lonely life anymore and reluctantly adopted her myself on May 1, 2018. She is the only other bird I have ever lived with other than my pionus.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?

I tried to get this information from the pet store, but all they could tell me was that she was a very young green cheek conure. I think that she is a Pineapple GCC, but I am not certain about that!!! I don't know her breeder, hatch date, exact age or sex. I am still not able to handle her, so she has not yet been to a vet. When I eventually take her to a vet, I intend to get her sexed. She has two bands, one on each leg, which band manufacturers have told me may indicate that she was intended to be a breeder bird who was not hand-fed, explaining her fear of people. They told me that it would be extremely challenging to tame her, but I have been trying very hard!!!

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

When I first brought her home, she was petrified with fear and would not interact with me. But, with the help, ecouragement and wisdom of the wonderful people in this forum (which I am EXTREMELY grateful for), she has made a ton a progress and now takes seeds from my hands and allows me to approach her very closely. I would have to say that her best "trick" so far is that she will now step onto my hand for a short period of time in order to take a seed. That may not be much for a hand-raised bird, but for a timid, untame bird like Mango, it is a HUGE step of trust.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

Unfortunately, she is completely addicted to sunflower seeds. She LOVES them. At this point, however, I only use them as treats. Her primary food is Avi-Cakes, Nutri-Berries, and pieces of fresh-cut apple.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Each evening, after dinner, Mango likes to climb up on top of her cage and run her beak across the bars so that it makes a fast clank, clank, clank, clank sound. The first time that she did this, it made me laugh. When she saw me laughing, she started doing it all the more. Now, she expects me to laugh when she does this and really likes the attention she gets when she does it.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

I must admit that I really miss having a bird that will sit on my shoulder, accept scritches, and greet me when I get home from work. But having Mango around has been a great experience. Watching her slowly learn to trust me, and knowing that she has a friend now instead of living as a frightened, lonely pet store bird makes me very happy. And, who knows, maybe someday Mango will open up and allow some scritches!!

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

My experience is probably not the norm because Mango is most likely not a hand-raised bird. But after spending 9 months with her, I can see that she is a smart, emotional, inquisitive little bird who is learning to trust me. If that is any indication, then green cheek conures seem like great little birds. Because I have not yet been able to handle Mango, I can't speak to the nippiness that green cheeks are notorious for.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Mango is active during much of the day, and also sleeps quite a bit during the day. She is mostly pretty quiet, but has episodes, especially early in the day, where she can make lots of noise. She has a very loud voice when she is fired up! She also makes some very beautiful calls and vocalizations that I really enjoy hearing, especially after the lights go out at the end of the day. She has a call that she uses to scold me when I do something that she does not like. She also has a very funny mumble that she uses when she is getting into mischief or preparing to take a bath.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

Mango does a very funny dance that I have always referred to as her "go-away" dance. She does this when she wants me to leave her alone. It is very funny to watch. I also think that it is funny that she almost always takes a bath in her water dish when she hears the shower in the bathroom running.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

Mango has not yet uttered a single word that I have heard.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

Without a doubt, sunflower seeds. She is completely addicted.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:congrats5:

I really enjoyed reading your answers, Mango sounds like a little sweetie pie.

I’m so glad you found each other!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats!!! We really enjoyed reading about you and Mango!!

:Congratwav:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I loved reading about Mango.

I'm proud of what you've accomplished.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

I am so happy Mango is a celebirdy now! I was so happy when you decided to rescue her (or him) from that dark and lonely cage at the pet store. I always enjoy reading up on your progress. Mango is lucky to have you and I hope one day she'll return the favor and allow some scritches or shoulder time

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Mango is a cutie and lucky to have you. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:yourock: cheekie friend!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats to Mango the Magnificent!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:congrats3:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats to you and Mango. She is a very lucky bird to have been found by you. Post some new photos when you get a chance.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:starshower1::starshower1: Congrats Mango!!! :starshower1::starshower1:

Really enjoyed reading about her. Who knows.... maybe she will accept skritches in the future. You've made wonderful progress with her already!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Love this interview. Mango sounds like an absolute sweetheart, and you're amazing for giving her a loving home. :swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.