• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - December 2022 - Marzipan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Loved your interview. And I love his name. In fact both boys have very appropriate names

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of December 2022

@Sparkles99 's Marzipan​

1. How did you acquire your bird?

Marzipan was a rehomed bird from Kijiji (online classifieds). He came with his friend Pistachio. Here is one of my first photos of him, when I didn't even know he was a he!

View attachment 418435

Here they are a short while afterwards, sizing me up.

View attachment 418437

This is one of my favourite photos of him. It's my avatar photo, of when they first moved in to their new flight cage. You can see that hope has dawned in Marzipan's expression.

View attachment 418438

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?

My bird's name is Marzipan. He's a male budgie. He is a minimum of 3 years old. He just had his two year anniversary on November 27! :cheer: He's a blue recessive pied budgie.

He's excited to have been chosen as a celebirdy & was ready for his close up!

View attachment 418447

But even the budgerazzi can find it hard to capture such a personality on camera...

View attachment 418448

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

Yes, Marzipan uses his beak to climb, much more so than my other budgies. Here's a photo of him doing so. Seconds later, he was on the higher fork of the perch. I believe this is more common in larger parrot species, but he does it like a pro!

View attachment 418436

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

He loves seeds. He is an as yet unreformed seed junkie. I see him leave other food. :shakehead:

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Marzipan has a very keen sense of justice. When someone was 'helping' me on the phone & refusing to rectify an error their company had made, he led the budgies yelling at the man & successfully silenced him.

The man tried unsuccessfully to talk over them. Bad move. An angry flock of outraged budgies is hard to contend with. I was so proud; I felt like one of the flock. To this day they weigh in on conversations. :laugh:

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

Marzipan arrived at a very dark time in my life. He gave me hope & wings to fly. I owe my budgies more than I can ever repay them. Thanks to him & Pistachio, there will always be a spot in my home & in my heart for a rescue budgie.

Avian Avenue also helped, for which I humbly thank this forum & its members. :heart:

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

Budgies are the best! They adapt well to captivity & have a huge personality in a tiny frame. I'd also warn them that there is constant chatter. I absolutely love it, but it might annoy some people.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Marzipan is very busy. He's always doing something or expressing his opinion. The noise level is loud, but not enough to damage hearing. It is constant, though. If there's light, he's active & chattering.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

Marzipan likes looking people in the eye. He'll fly to the front of his flight cage when you're walking past & eyeball you from a couple of inches away. I always feel both flattered & like I'm being evaluated. Hopefully I pass muster!

He also likes playing with shiny things & beads. Here are some earlier photos of him engaging in this preferred passtime.

View attachment 418439 View attachment 418440 View attachment 418441

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

Marzipan speaks fluent budgie &, though I don't, his meaning is successfully conveyed in his tone, volume & body language.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

Millet. Marzipan would do much for millet. He's convinced a diet of 100% millet is what's recommended for budgies. :roflmao: His self confidence is great, because Pistachio will often join him. They will eat from other people's hands too, if I say it's okay.

View attachment 418442 View attachment 418443 View attachment 418445
Congratulations!!!! What Marzipan is seriously a STAR Mr. Posey Mcposington

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hurray, Marzipan!!!! Such a handsome budgie :dreamyeyes:Congratulations to you and your servant, @Sparkles99!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :starshower1: I really enjoyed reading more about Marzipan, he´s absolutely adorable! :swoon:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:congrats3:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month