• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - August 2021 Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of August 2021

@flyzipper 's Oscar​

1. How did you acquire your bird?

Kijiji is the Craigslist of Canada, and I subscribe to notifications about macaws in my area, so that's where I first saw him. I made arrangements to meet Oscar, even though his owner was apprehensive and said he doesn't like men. We had a good first meeting, but before I could schedule a follow-up visit and commit, Oscar was sold to another person.

About a week after that sale, I saw another listing for a Military macaw (which are rare around here), so I asked the original owner if that was Oscar, and he confirmed that it was. The new owner was attempting to sell Oscar for double what she paid to the original owner (so, she was a "flipper").

The original owner eventually got Oscar back, and asked if I was still interested because we hit it off during our first meeting and subsequent emails about Oscar's flipping plight.

I met Oscar a few more times, and decided we liked each other well enough, so he came home with me after about a month (thanks to long wait times while acquiring a suitable cage -- which he never uses).

One more relevant item to this story is that Oscar was fully flighted when I first met him at his original home where he lived with 8 other macaws. By the time he got to me, however, he had been clipped. The original owner didn't do it, so we assume it was done by the flipper to make him more manageable.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?

Oscar is approximately 10 years old, and is a male Military Macaw.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

He's pretty good at the basics of being a good bird companion, but isn't especially tricky. Oscar will fly to me (most of the time) during recall training, and he has a very cute indicator that he wants something (lifting his foot in whatever direction it is). He's also a very good foot-first stepper-upper. We're working on things like taking liquids from a syringe, voluntarily getting into his travel crate, and allowing a cooperative nail trim, but those are all works in progress.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

He's a very picky eater, so we're still working out what his favourites are. It seems like his absolute favourite is my conure's ZuPreem pellets. It's an evening ritual that Oscar will land on Marvin's perch, and eat all the ZuPreem while he watches me make dinner and clean up in the kitchen (reminds me of the way people mindlessly munch on popcorn during a movie). Of course, he doesn't appear to be a fan of the same pellets when they're in his bowl.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Oscar has a fairly serious demeanor, so I can't think of much funny business. Perhaps his fondness for having my thumb in his beak and gently "wrestling" with it, brings a smile to my face.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

From the start, Oscar has done a great job communicating what he wants, so I suppose the enrichment for me is that he allows me to practice listening skills and being present.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

The same thing I'd tell people who are considering any species -- get to know the individual. Military macaws are big birds, but I think most birds require 90% of the same care regardless of their size. That said, any big bird requires bigger space, bigger pocketbook, and generates a bigger mess.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

He's generally fairly content to stay around his own play area, but he's fully flighted, so he goes where he wants. Short flights to another stand, or to the back of my chair while I'm at my desk are common. In our larger upstairs area, he likes being as high as possible, so he flies from my side to the highest supporting beams. Beyond flying, he also likes destroying wooden toys.

Oscar has a big voice, but is usually only loud in the morning until he gets his breakfast.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

"I'm so normal it's peculiar", is a quote I heard once (from Rick Astley?), and that applies pretty well to Oscar. He does like women though, so I suppose a quirk might be that he gets especially animated when he sees a woman walking outside, when we're looking out a window. He'll even fly over to watch a YouTube video if he hears a woman's voice coming from my computer.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

"Hello Oscar", is the majority of what he says, but it's often in the context of getting what he wants. Offer a favourite treat... "hello Oscar!", take him to an open/screened window to watch and listen to the outside world... "hello Oscar!".
He's also good at demanding, "quiet!", when Jericho is making more noise than Oscar likes.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

All the pistachios!

Downstairs hangout
PXL_20210702_221147501 (Large).jpg

Upstairs hangout
PXL_20210616_234259707 (Large).jpg

Being handsome
R0000288_DxO2048.jpg

Being angelic
PXL_20210522_200834078 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay, Oscar! Such a handsome lad!! :xflove:

Congratulations to you and your parrot @flyzipper!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5:

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Congratulations what a beautiful setup for your parrots. The picture of Oscar with the sun beam on him is gorgeous.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

:omg::faint:Look at that space...Looks like you live in a church. Wow, the ambiance & great to stretch the wings of your angel!

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Such a majestic bird, what a lovely home Oscar found himself in

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5: Oscar

Oscar is a gorgous bird mate and lucky to have all that space and lucky to have someone such as yourself to look after him.
I do recall a video you posting of him flying to you however i cant remember seeing your other feathered family.
Not asking you to post here of course it wouldnt be right stealing Oscars thunder.
How about a thread with pics of all your birds on ?

If you do a thread with your feathered family please tag me in so i dont miss it.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratultions Oscar!! :loveshower: I really enjoyed reading your interview Steve, getting to know Oscar a little more :) I hope he gets some pistachios to celebrate his new title! :rolleyes:

I was also wondering about your home. I have seen your videos but thought you took the birds on days out there. If you live there, how do you manage the noise with people entering? I´m very curious.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Looks like you live in a church.
I was also wondering about your home... how do you manage the noise with people entering?
It's no longer functioning as a church, and I'm fortunate to have this space to myself -- shared with Oscar, Jericho and Marvin, of course.

This could be a thread on its own (and probably will at some point), but I bought it specifically for the birds because it's such a great space for them. It was purchased in late 2019, and the plan was to renovate before moving in, but Covid changed the timing. We moved here in March 2020, when Covid lockdowns began, and it's been our full-time residence ever since. One friend jokes that I'm "glamping" because it currently lacks a few amenities that a typical home would offer.

Living here and contemplating the space day-to-day has modified my original thinking about some uses, but currently the plan is to live upstairs, and have the lower level converted into 2 other units (one residential apartment for a life-long friend, and the other to open a small business for myself).

TL;DR - I'm hoping we end up with a nice live/work setup.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I loved learning more about Oscar and I’m so glad he ended up with you :)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Congratulations! You and Oscar deserved it! What a marvelous space he has to roam free! Very lucky birdy is right to have landed with you! Awesome interview! I’m just glad the woman was able to get him back from the flippers.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oscar is a lucky bird! Congrats. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:cngrt5: You pretty, pretty birdie !!

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Congratulations @flyzipper !
Oscar is simply a stunning bird and so lucky to have you! I hope you give him lots of pistachios for winning AA's Celebirdy award. ;)

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Congratulations! :starshower1: loved to read your interview. The him saying "quiet" part gave me a smile :lol:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations to Oscar and you.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Congratulations! I liked learning about Oscar!

Status
Not open for further replies.