• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - April 2020 - Jeff & Mabel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hearye:
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy's for the month of April 2020

@Khizz
Jeff & Mabel!

1. How did you acquire your bird?

I had wanted birds for a long time, but was pretty much stuck in "research" mode, until my husband talked me into it! I looked at rehoming, but couldn't find any in my area. In the end, I gave up. However, my husband didn't and passed on the name of a breeder in our area. I turn up and discover the breeder was a former student of mine! What a small world!

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?

Cockatiels
3 years old

:tieln: Jeff: male

:tiel2: Mabel: female

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

Not really! They aren't tame or hand trained, which is fine with me :)

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

Millet, millet and more millet! Mabel particularly loves dandelions (just as yellow as she is!), and they both really like sprouts. Broccoli is also a big hit.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

They do have their moments! Recently Jeff has started "sneezing". Whenever I sneeze, he lets out a tiny noise that sounds like a small sneeze...(clearly fake, tiels don't sneeze like us!) I feel like he is mocking me?!

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

In countless ways! A thing me and my husband both constantly say, is that with birds in the house, there is always vibrancy and life. It's never lonely, or quiet. When I go away, my husband spends more time with the birds, as he says being with them makes him feel closer to me :heart: I also feel more of a purpose, even on days when I'm down, or feeling listless and lost. When you look into a tiel's lil' orange-cheeked face, I dare you to not crack a smile!

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

Just because they are known for being laid-back and social, doesn't mean they will be. Don't come into tiel ownership expecting an easy bird, which will love you and be your shoulder buddy. Sometimes a tiel is loud, shy, volatile, antisocial...the list goes on. As long as your bird has space, enrichment, your love, and good health, then you can be satisfied. Let your bird lead the way!

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Jeff: Is less "active" in terms of playing and so on, but he does spend ALL day singing at the moment. In the mornings his shrieks can really hurt your ears!

Mabel: Is really active, she loves playing and zooming around the room. She is also capable of getting really shrill and loud, especially in the morning. In the beginning I used to think he morning screams were Jeff's!

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

Jeff: I can't get by without mentioning his CREST! His super curly crest goes into flirt mode, then he is just so incredibly charming! He is kind of like the lead singer of a boy band, handsome but not the sharpest tool in the shed :rofl: Honestly, he cannot for the life of him figure out how to get back inside his cage until Mabel has done it first :rolleyes:

Mabel: Has an inherently cheeky expression, and loves chucking foot toys around for her human slave to pick up. She is also a HUGE show off, big wings, flappy wings, preen preen preen...then when the camera comes out, she poses! She is also incredibly nosy and curious, she will always check something new out first.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

N/A

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

Millet is life!!! But not millet that has been accidentally misted by the water bottle, noooooooo. Wet millet? Don't even mention it! Eurgh! :wtf:

IMG_20200311_090547.jpg IMG_20200315_161922_219.jpg IMG_20200128_191546_902.jpg FB_IMG_1580716006991.jpg IMG_20200203_093614.jpg IMG_20200318_133233.jpg IMG_20200322_112216.jpg

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:yah: Congratulations Mabel and Jeff!! (And @Khizz ;) ) :starshower1:

Wonderful choices for celebirdy, certainly favourties here on AA! :loveshower:

Brilliant photos, especially the one of Mabel hanging stretching her wings! :swoon:

When I go away, my husband spends more time with the birds, as he says being with them makes him feel closer to me :heart:
That´s sooo sweet! :cloud9:

He is kind of like the lead singer of a boy band, handsome but not the sharpest tool in the shed :rofl:
:coffeescreen:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:yah: Congratulations Mabel and Jeff!! (And @Khizz ;) ) :starshower1:

Wonderful choices for celebirdy, certainly favourties here on AA! :loveshower:

Brilliant photos, especially the one of Mabel hanging stretching her wings! :swoon:

That´s sooo sweet! :cloud9:

:coffeescreen:
Thank you! I've been calling them celebirdies since @Macawnutz contacted me about it :laughin: Honestly though, Jeff's been kinda cool about his new found fame, but Mabel has just let fame go straight to her crest:

(Click here for link)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
:yah:

Congrats Jeff and Mabel (and you!)
I always love reading about them :heart:...and looking at adorable pics of them and their crests! Your hubby sounds adorable too btw!!

And Mabel’s photobomb:lol: Its ok time let it go to your heads guys.. you ARE super famous celebirdies now!!!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!

Beautiful photos and I love the description of Jeff as a lead singer in a boyband!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice choice!! The pictures are awesome! Love the interview. And I love the names of your duo. Mabel and Jeff, so freaking cute.

:wewin: :yah:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

I love the curly crest and it is awesome that your hubby feels connected to you through them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5: They are beautiful tiels!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:yah: Such a wonderful choice!!

@Khizz, Jeff and Mabel. :congrats5: on your new found fame..... you know some of us already knew you were all rock stars :heart:

I secretly think it has to be Jeff's magnificent crest that made you all famous :D

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
JeFf! :worthy: we are not worthy of the crest! :hybaby:

Oh, Mabel, yours is so impressively thick and yellow! :marlenesmile:

:congrats5:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Awww, congrats @Khizz and Jeff & Mabel! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about and seeing their adorable pictures!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:congrats5:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:toyou: :wow::congrats5: I love Mabel's coloring! They're beautiful birds!

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! Buddy loved singing back to Jeff's songs on your videos. Had the Amazon eye pinning & everything! Mabel is so pretty in the feather coat of sunshine. I really adore the upside down open wing picture! Thank you for your write up it was informative & funny.

:hug9:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe! Yay! They are such cute little rock stars! :strhng: :swoon: :strhng:

Status
Not open for further replies.