• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Ceddy's not right

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
and I'm stressing, trying to remain calm until our vet appointment in 2 hours.

She's had some diarrhoea on and off (i.e. 1 or 2 diarrhoea poops, back to normal for a day or so, then back to 1 or 2 diarrhoea poops)- and this morning, when I got up, she hadn't done her usual morning poop, then it took her about 3 to 4 attempts before success (looks normal to me but I put it in a sterilised plastic container - as best I could - to take with me). She won't come out of her cage and is just sleeping. Just now she's had a bit to eat and preened a little, now she's sleeping again.

It's currently just over 73°F in here and 80% humidity, is that OK? I'm reluctant to stick her in a hospital cage at this stage because I know it would stress her out. It'll be bad enough stress to get her into her carrier to take her to the vet later.

Please send good vibes that my little girl isn't seriously sick :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
sending good thoughts Astrid :hug8:
Later you may want to look into a dehumidifier. Aspergillosis thrives in high humidity. Our bird room gets up to 70% in the summer and the vet said keep it at 50% so we do...
oh and please don't be scared, I'm not suggesting it is aspergillosis. :)
Hope she feels better quickly and poops are normal.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
sending good thoughts your way :hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please stay calm, you are doing great! Nice to see you could get a vet appointment right away. If the vet gives you medications, have him show you the easiest way to give them.

I agree the humidity should be reduced to 50%.

gary

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
not Ceddy!!! many many prayers and positive thoughts coming her way:hug8::hug8::hug8:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Thanks Saroj :hug8:
Well, this week has been unusually humid. I'll keep watching that. At the moment she's eaten a little again but she still won't come out.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Wishing Ceddy the best. So very glad you were able to get a vet appointment. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sending prayers and healing energy your way, please let us know what the vet says

:hug8::hug8:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Thanks all :hug8:
Please stay calm, you are doing great! Nice to see you could get a vet appointment right away. If the vet gives you medications, have him show you the easiest way to give them.

I agree the humidity should be reduced to 50%.

gary
Thanks Gary!

I'll look into it. I have a portable air con that also dehumidifies - but that would reduce the temperature and it doesn't have a setting do 'just' dehumidify.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
My prayers are with you and Ceddy. Sweet baby. She will be all right. :hug8:

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
Best of Luck!! I wish I had some expert medical advice for you. My prayers is the best I can do. I hope he gets better soon.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I will keep Ceddy in my thoughts and prayers!:hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:heart: Ceddy!!! Positive thoughts coming your way!!! :hug8:

I hope all will be okay Astrid :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Saying prayers for Ceddy that all turns out well. :hug5:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Definitely saying some prayers for Ceddy, and keeping both of you in my thoughts! I hope she is feeling better soon

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Thank you all, it is sooo comforting to know I'm not alone when needed :hug8:

We're back from the avian vet, and Ceddy's OK for now.

Definitely something 'off' in her poops (diarrhoea and some gas) but after checking them (both the morning sample and the fresh one she dropped for him :) ) and examining her the vet feels she's in good condition and it's not an emergency situation and that hopefully probiotics will to the trick.

Since she's used to taking foods and liquids from a syringe I'm to give 1ml diluted probiotics 2x daily (he gave me measured powder to make up 1 liter to be kept in the fridge)

I'm to phone him early next week how she's going. If she hasn't improved by early next week he'll go into more thorough checks (blood work, stool cultures etc) but at this point he seems really confident it won't be necessary. He also feels that a hospital cage is not necessary at this point since it likely would stress her out more than it would do her good.

And either he or his off sider will be around at least every 12 hours, possibly more often, over the weekend to take care of the birds in hospital and to check phone messages in case of emergencies and I can leave a message should Ceddy unexpectedly go downhill.

Ceddy's been reasonably good for him. Didn't wanna step up and when he released her from the towel she FLEW up to the window frame twice (only the second time she's ever flown :rolleyes:) but she didn't struggle during the exam and didn't bite him :D

Right now she's not happy with me because I had to towel her into the carrier but after some coaxing she has taken the probiotics and she's just now come out of the cage for the first time today and is climbing around :dance4:

WHEW! Let's hope the probiotics do the trick.

sophiamarini

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sophia
Astrid I am only just seeing this, I am so sorry Ceddy isn't well, but am happy to read your last update. I hope she makes a quick recovery. That must have been scary for you, I would freak if my guys were sick! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.