• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cedar Wrap

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I want to get some cedar wraps for baking fish, will the aroma from the cedar
hurt Valentine?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hmmm.....I never thought of that but I have baked fish on cedsr in the stove with no issues I'm aware of

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know cedar is not bird safe and the smell from it is an irritant to birds as well as it definitely repels insects which I assume is from some kind of toxicity factors from its oils/scent but this wrapping fish in cedar to cook is something I am not familiar with at all.

A quick google of cedar wood and bird safety will bring up many hits that all say it is dangerous and it can kill them- here is the exact wording from the first hit I got " Cedar bedding and cedar oil are known to irritate birds' delicate respiratory systems, and at high doses, can actually kill them. "

I am not sure how much natural oil and scent is released from the wrapping and cooking of fish in cedar but after knowing it was used as coat hangers, in closets and also for building materials as its scent killed off insects therefore protecting the structure I personally would be hesitant to use it.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thats good info, not one to take a chance I will use aluminum foil to wrap the fish