• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CBD OIL

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Has anyone ever used CBD oil for hormones? What are the risks and is it effective for amazon parrots?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The risk is there is little regulation about CBD oil in general - both in product and in labeling. So you'd want a brand that is independently tested - CannaSafe is a good lab.

The other risk is we don't know the safe levels for parrots, so it would be a shot in the dark.

That being said, I did try some CBD with a Quaker parrot (one drop per day of a 100mg per bottle solution over 3 weeks) and did not see any noticable difference in his aggression.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Dr. tried CBD on my parrot for pain. We gave it to her for 3 months (arthritis) and the pain she was in was terrible. Went back to Celebrex and Gabapentin and her pain was well controlled.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I've been trying CBD oil for Chico's arthritis. One drop of 400mg but I didn't really notice any difference so I stopped. Chico is also extremely hormonal right now - again, I haven't noticed it lessen with the oil, although I did stop for maybe 6+ months and have only just started it again for him maybe 2 weeks ago. My vet suggested CBD oil for Ollie who has PDD/AG since it is meant to have some good results for autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis and Alzheimer's. So right now I am also giving Ollie one drop when he'll take it. I'm giving it in the evening, as the vet said it can have a relaxing effect. Both Chico and Ollie are Amazons. I attended a webinar a few years ago where Dr Todd Driggers recommended it for arthritis which is why I started giving it to Chico.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dr. Driggers is my vet and he sure missed the mark with the CBD oil - but that is the only thing he ever, ever missed the 21 years he was my vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One thing to note too is that even in people, CBD has wildly different results. I used to take it before I was pregnant/breastfeeding (stopped for baby's sake) for anxiety and can get by with .5 ml of 250mg bottle, while other friends need double that to get results, and some don't find it helps at all. So I wouldn't discount it completely, but there is a lot more to be learned for sure!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Someone also told me that oil made from Cannabis sativa was the more effective oil - she said this one was helpful with her dog's arthritis, whereas others didn't help at all. So I ordered it, but heck it is strong! I got what I thought was 4% but it was 1500mg! I diluted it with flax oil to match my 400mg/4% but still, not sure about giving it to the birds. This vet here told me that CBD oil effects young people and old differently. That in old people (ie. with dementia or some other autoimmune disease) it goes where it is needed. And yes, apparently you have to find your own level, and that is hard to do in a parrot when you are afraid of overdosing. I think Dr Driggers said use the lowest percentage you can get eg 3 or 4%. 4% is the lowest I can get in the UK.

BorisVance

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
BorisVance
CBD helps a lot, but not everyone will recommend it. I guess they are not yet sure what is the best way to use it. I have used the oil with my pets and honestly I am not that sure that it works, but If the effect is similar to the effect on me It is great. I really love using CBD, but I can only use it while vaping, I hate pills and ointments. It is maybe a little bit unusual, but it is better vaping that then something else. I did not know about the dosages and I will have to ask my vet about it. I hope he knows what is a good dosage.

Last edited: