• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cautions on Probiotics for Parrots

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I guess everyone knows now Chippers little body lost the fight with yeast. Just about all treatments were used but he did not respond. He had 2 good weeks after the flagyl and then could not keep any food down. Not a day goes by that he is not missed. I got another bird for his cage mate but she has lost weight and seems sad sometimes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I guess everyone knows now Chippers little body lost the fight with yeast. Just about all treatments were used but he did not respond. He had 2 good weeks after the flagyl and then could not keep any food down. Not a day goes by that he is not missed. I got another bird for his cage mate but she has lost weight and seems sad sometimes.
:hug8:

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
What about species specific probiotics. Echos new vet has created species specific probiotics for greencheek conures, teils, and budgies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That sounds good to me. Its too late for my budgie now. Are these probiotics available on line?

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I gave human grade probiotic once a week unless their droppings are watery or they are stressed, then I will give them once or twice a day depends on their condition. So far my experience with probiotic have been great. I think moderation is the key?

2macshan

Strolling the yard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an area I have a lot of expertise in as I formulate/manufature many of the top human probiotics(and some pet) that many of you probably take :p
I have to agree and disagree to some extent on some of the points you brought up and I would like to share my expert opinion on the matter:

Be aware liquid probiotics contain glucose as a diluent.

YES! I can't say this enough. Also, if it is liquid, ALL OF the lactobacillus, pediococcus, and bifidobacterium(the only ones you want) are DEAD.

Be careful when you are giving your bird daily doses of probiotics because this will not give the naturally occurring bugs a chance to form.
I respectfully disagree. Naturally occurring bugs find the bird by way of their parents regurgitating, or other bird's poop. If your bird was hand fed or you are very clean, your bird was improperly colonized. The bird equivalent of a C-section baby (like me), probiotics assist beneficial and natural bacteria to grow. they do NOT actually take over a digestive system(well spore formers do- stay away) but rather they "set the stage" and make the environment right for their natural flora cousins to grow while getting rid of bad microbes.

If you are feeding your bird yogurt be aware some yogurts have less good bacteria than others. Many of the yogurts are pasteurized which means the process kills the bacteria. Look for yogurt with live culture.
Dairy is very difficult for bird to digest and many recommend not feeding it so- No comment.

If you think your are purchasing avian specific probiotics think again because the natural flora for a particular species are different. Example an African Grey has different GI flora than a Conure. Very true... But they are leaps and bounds more similar than to say a human, or a cat. Avian specific should include mostly Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Pediococcus as they are safe and will pass through like a clean up crew.

One of the best choice for a probiotic is from the refrigerator section of a health food store (human grade) I disagree as this being a quality to choose a bird probiotic on. Many of these contain Mg stearate, MCC, inulin... as by far the main ingredient causing bloat and digestive upset in birds.

Many products that are sold for pets and high price and low quality. That includes probiotics YES!!!! It took me a LOOOOOOOONG time to find a bird probiotic I like. I get so mad reading these labels and what they are selling to caring pet owners. millions per serving, mis labeled species, spore formers, all filler, are you kidding me? Did they sweep it of the floor?

If you are feeding a product that says "avian specific probiotics" know that it can be contaminated with psittascene diseases. Best to go for the human grade probiotic - with advice on dosage from your vet. I am very sorry but this is 100% completely false unless you are purchasing 2nd hand through someones home or chicken farm.

I am very open to questions/ comments! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Perhaps your avian vet is more qualified to answer this question.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Remember how avian vets remind us human parronts to NOT feed our birdies from our own lips/mouth/tongue because the gut bacteria is very different for the human as compared to the parrot? With this being correct, HOW is it more healthy to use human probiotics on our parrots?

If my avian vet says give Benebac avian, I give it. If she doesn't, I don't. If I see a difference in the droppings of a bird, I pay attention to it and treat it if I need to do so, but always with the direction of my CAV.

2macshan

Strolling the yard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Equa holistics bird probiotic. So far it is the best I have found. I have tried BeneBac and read the AviBios label(umm No) and not been impressed. Lady Jane is right. Your vet knows your bird and I do not, I would listen to them. I do however know probiotics better than most vets do, just as they know animal diagnosis/treatment MUCH better than I.
One thing to keep in mind is that besides L. acidophilus- most probiotics to not originate from humans bust rather are plant, soil, of dairy isolated. They are just like hiring a bunch of bouncers for the night- cleaning up and getting rid of the riff raff only to go home in the morning.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I use Equa holistics bird probiotic. So far it is the best I have found. I have tried BeneBac and read the AviBios label(umm No) and not been impressed. Lady Jane is right. Your vet knows your bird and I do not, I would listen to them. I do however know probiotics better than most vets do, just as they know animal diagnosis/treatment MUCH better than I.
One thing to keep in mind is that besides L. acidophilus- most probiotics to not originate from humans bust rather are plant, soil, of dairy isolated. They are just like hiring a bunch of bouncers for the night- cleaning up and getting rid of the riff raff only to go home in the morning.
I purchased this equaholostic probiotic from Amazon and it seems to be causing my greenwing macaw to vomit a little. He has been sick, but only vomits a few hours after this probiotic. Any ideas @2macshan ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I purchased this equaholostic probiotic from Amazon and it seems to be causing my greenwing macaw to vomit a little. He has been sick, but only vomits a few hours after this probiotic. Any ideas @2macshan ?
Has you bird seen a vet? If vomiting, I really think a vet check is needed. Probiotics shouldn't make him vomit unless he's somehow allergic to it. And probiotics won't cure an infection if that's what he has- which is often the cause of vomiting. I hope he's okay.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

2macshan

Strolling the yard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The probiotics could not act quickly enough to make him vomit. I'm wondering if something else is going on? Have you heard from the vet?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
After receiving excellent reviews, I just started using; Avi-culture, The Finest, Live, Avian-Specific Probiotic

EDITED TO ADD: I like the Holistic Bird site and have read their pages but aren't they very dated?
After receiving excellent reviews, I just started using; Avi-culture, The Finest, Live, Avian-Specific Probiotic

EDITED TO ADD: I like the Holistic Bird site and have read their pages but aren't they very dated?
I have just ordered from this link before even thinking. I am very worried about my parakeet. She has a growth under her wing that got infected. The vet prescribed antibiotics for her for three weeks. She is not chirping today, so I feel they she doesn't feel great. I know antibiotics should be used with probiotics so I quickly ordered these. Is this site a reputable site?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I have just ordered from this link before even thinking. I am very worried about my parakeet. She has a growth under her wing that got infected. The vet prescribed antibiotics for her for three weeks. She is not chirping today, so I feel they she doesn't feel great. I know antibiotics should be used with probiotics so I quickly ordered these. Is this site a reputable site?
It's really questionable about whether or not they work as they're supposed to anyways. Have you called your vet?