• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caught on (and off) the wing. The birds in my life.

Begone2

Meeting neighbors
I am fortunate to live in a 1st floor apartment with a balcony that overlooks the River Clyde estuary, with the Argyll hills beyond. Initially I enclosed it by stringing some fine wire mesh to allow my Illiger macaw to stretch his wings and get some natural UV light (always under supervision). Last year, I decided to use the space for some smaller birds that could live out there permanently. Being close to the sea, it can get a bit blowy and exposed, especially in winter, so I built a glazed shelter at one end, using a special perspex that allows full spectrum UV light to pass through (thru).

Initially I got some kakarikis, and three lineolated parakeets. The kaks were amazingly agile in the air. Those of you who keep linnies will know that they fly more like large bumble bees. I also included some diamond doves, and a pair of small quail to clean up the spilled seed. They all got along pretty well, except that the alpha male kakariki would keep order by dominating my macaw and limiting where he went, when he was out. The macaw was terrified of this much smaller bird, although they now tolerate each other. I took a chance and acquired a pair of Crimson Rosellas. They had been kept in a small cage, and were most happy to have a large space to fly around in, and a decent diet (they had been fed all the wrong food in their previous home). Finally I introduced some Bourkes parakeets. Had I known what sweet little birds they are, with such a charming tinkling twitter, I would probably have started out with them in the first place.

Experience taught me a few things. The linnies squabbled violently and noisily amongst themselves (I think they were three sisters from the same nest), and caused some major disturbances in the flock, upsetting and spooking the others. I found a more suitable home for them, where I understand they are doing well. Some of the kakarikis were bullies and would fight for space and territory. These were mainly older birds. I identified the culprits, and again found a new home for them. The remaining three are now living in perfect harmony. The Rosellas, although big and sometimes clumsy, were peaceful enough and surprisingly didn't cause any problems, but they were very noisy first thing in the morning. I like to live in harmony with my own flock (my neighbours), so out of consideration for them, the Rosellas were moved on. I don't want to get evicted from this rather pleasant location!

I enjoy attempting to capture their beauty, and I hope you like the shots.

Attachments

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Wow, those pictures are great. How long have you wait patiently to catch the right moment? I imagine it takes quite time but it is worth the effort. The result is stunning.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful pics! Thanks for taking the time to share them!!!

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
What beautiful pictures! I love ones that show off wings in their full glory. There's just something so satisfying in seeing the feathers move. Do you mind if I use your pictures for sketching reference? I need to practice wings and those perspectives are truly gorgeous ;)