• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Caught me by surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, I had no idea it kicked in that quickly. In that case, I'm sure he was definitely feeling better. I'm hoping that his prosthetic will help distribute the weight so he isn't in so much pain between prescriptions. He also has a feather cyst on the same wing with the damaged feather that Dr. Dixon showed me and it's about three inches long of matted feathers that he said are probably contributing to the pain. That could be a reason why he's reluctant to fly. I briefly read about feather cysts and the only resolution I found was to have it surgically removed, but I absolutely do not want to put him under unless it's completely necessary. Just knowing that that cyst is there makes me worry, especially since I know his meds won't last forever.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I can only repeat as I have done so many times - that the analgesics they use for anesthesia today are very safe and the Dr.s are much better trained and informed. Both of my birds have been under anesthesia and tranquilizers many, many times without them ever having a negative experience.

It is not right, IMO, to allow anything to have chronic pain if there is something that can be done about it. Java should be on pain killers for the rest of his life. Quality above quantity ever time.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can only repeat as I have done so many times - that the analgesics they use for anesthesia today are very safe and the Dr.s are much better trained and informed. Both of my birds have been under anesthesia and tranquilizers many, many times without them ever having a negative experience.

It is not right, IMO, to allow anything to have chronic pain if there is something that can be done about it. Java should be on pain killers for the rest of his life. Quality above quantity ever time.

Is surgery a guarantee to get rid of the cyst or could it potentially grow back over time? If Dr. Dixon feels confident in doing the surgery, then I would do it if it meant that Java wasn't in any pain. Would that also mean he wouldn't be able to fly? The cyst is in the space where those flight feathers are missing, so I'm assuming those are the feathers that are clustered together.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You may want to read this (and look at the pictures). I'm sure you don't want Java's cysts to get so bad.

Feather Cysts / Feather Lump | Beauty of Birds

It may grow back over time, but he would befine for quite awhile and maybe forever.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to read this (and look at the pictures). I'm sure you don't want Java's cysts to get so bad.

Feather Cysts / Feather Lump | Beauty of Birds

It may grow back over time, but he would befine for quite awhile and maybe forever.

Those poor birds.
I'm not sure how long Java has had his cyst since I never saw it before, and even Dr. Dixon had to dig for it, but from the looks of it, it looks like it's been there for a while. That would explain why he hates whenever I mess with that wing. When I talk to Dr. Dixon again, I'll ask if he feels the cyst needs to be removed, and if he thinks so, then I'll get Java prepped to have it done. The last thing I ever want is for him to be in pain. He's gone through so much in his short life already, I want it to be smooth-sailing from here on out.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They put Nerd under several time and he always came out of it fine. They did warn me there was a risk and the first time I worried like a mother hen at work but he did great so never worried about it as much again. The last time the vet saw him he was too weak for anything so they gave him oxygen for a while and some meds as a guess to what might be wrong but he was also 31 at least at that point. The oxygen did perk him up for a bit but he went back downhill again but it and pain meds can really bring a bird that is feeling bad right back up to good again very quickly. I've had kidney stones off and on for years and pain will really tear any critter down very quickly. No pain, life is suddenly good again.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They put Nerd under several time and he always came out of it fine. They did warn me there was a risk and the first time I worried like a mother hen at work but he did great so never worried about it as much again. The last time the vet saw him he was too weak for anything so they gave him oxygen for a while and some meds as a guess to what might be wrong but he was also 31 at least at that point. The oxygen did perk him up for a bit but he went back downhill again but it and pain meds can really bring a bird that is feeling bad right back up to good again very quickly. I've had kidney stones off and on for years and pain will really tear any critter down very quickly. No pain, life is suddenly good again.
I will consider surgery if it means Java won't be in any pain. I just worry that something could go wrong, especially since he's so flighty. I know how delicate birds are, and I'm still coming to terms with today's medicine in putting a bird under safely. I just never thought he'd be facing surgery so soon.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well it's a case of will the possible improvement in his quality of life be worth the risk. Java appears to be a very strong bird considering his issues so I'd talk it over with the vet and get a honest opinion of how risky it may be vs improved quality of life. If it's a pretty sure bet he'll be a lot happier and low risk of injury or death I spose its worth the risk but your his mom and you know him best so get all the info you can and make a choice. They saw a mass in Nerd they were concerned about. They wanted us to drive to Seattle which is like 600 miles round trip and have a very expensive MRI. He was over 20 and very happy and active, plus really didn't have the money. We talked it over and decided between us and the vet to just watch it see if it changes, it never did and he was around another 10 years or so. They decided it was a old injury or cyst and wasn't affecting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.