• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cats

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I was just wondering if anyone out there has cats along with their cockatiel or other birds. From the little I know about cats, it doesn't seem like you can house both of them in peace, but maybe someone else has a different experience

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a cat, and he is not allowed anywhere near my birds. The fids have their own rooms, which he cannot enter, and when I go into them I close the hallway door so that he can't sneak in. If I didn't have separate rooms, I wouldn't feel remotely comfortable keeping both species. Honestly, it still makes me nervous.

Jackson is an incredibly sweet-natured, loving senior cat without a mean bone in his body, and he is a bird killer. A predator is a predator is a predator, and the risk is just too high for me to ever even consider allowing them into the same space.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
:)I don't believe a cat and a bird should ever be left together unsupervised. That being said, I know my pets. I live with a three-legged cat and I've had her and my cockatiel in the same room supervised. I don't allow her to be out with my budgies though.

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I I've heard some people say the cat isn't as aggressive with a bird if you get one when it's a kitten and allow it to grow up with the bird, but it still feels risky to me especially with a small bird. I love cats, but I don't want to risk my bird

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've heard some people say the cat isn't as aggressive with a bird if you get one when it's a kitten and allow it to grow up with the bird, but it still feels risky to me
Yes, that is because it is still highly risky. The cat being a kitten makes no difference.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Cats especially with small birds like a cocktatiel, just can't be ever trusted.
I had a cat for about 16 years. She grew up with my birds (macaw, zon, goffin too).
With my two larger birds I never saw that instinct kick in, but my smaller goffin flapping sure turned it on.

Separation is a must, and even that is never fail proof.
And she was a kitten I tested before making the decision.
Another kitten I took back and exchanged for her.
Every cat will be different.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have 3 cats and 4 birds. It isn't easy, and I never take for granted that my cats are natural predators.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Over time I have desensitized my cats, but like I said, I still wouldn't trust them. I have those heavy cages on wheels for my birds because cats can't knock them over and my spare bedroom is the bird room.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have a cat and a dog as well. I have a husky which are known for having high prey drives. He's actually perfectly fine with indoor cats, even loves playing with my cat (sometimes.... if he gets annoyed, he ends up kicking the cat cause the cat is biting at his feet and legs!) but gets upset with outdoor cats and I'm sure wants to chase them.

Neither one is allowed in the bird room. (dog has barged in a few times while birds were caged... door now remains locked if no one is in there so door can't as easily be pushed open)

My previous cat though *loved* sneaking into the bird room.... she was a pretty miserable hunter and never harmed the birds. I remember once she was sitting next to two birds in a cage, staring outside at a bird on the fence, and was calling out to the outside bird... :dead: although she could be "trusted" (she had been with the birds, unsupervised, several times!), I never fully trusted her because she was, after all, still a cat. Even being playful, their nails and saliva are still deadly to birds.