• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cats of the avian world?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I figured that since I’m seriously considering adopting a pigeon, I’d want to get this straight. Pigeons and doves are the cats of the avian world. They can take care of themselves for the most part but still enjoy affection from their humans. Here’s stuff I said to my mom to persuade her:

Pigeons are also better than parrots in the sense that they can’t scream or squawk. They can only coo. Females can barely be heard while males can’t be heard through a shut door. Also, they are highly adaptable animals meaning that they will take a couple minutes to get used to their pigeon pants/harness while parrots can take several months. Pigeons are also non-destructive because their beaks aren’t hooked so they can’t draw blood when they bite and they can’t ruin you clothes and furniture. In addition they are super cheap to keep. A large dog kennel with a couple “shelves” (which they prefer over perches is an ideal cage for them. When severing food, it’s advised to just a terra cotta dish to help file down their beaks. Their diet consists of a commercial pigeon/dove mix and as well as fruits and vegetables. Pigeons are also one of the only birds that have the suck up water, therefore they need a water dish about 1 inch deep. They are also a lot cuddlier and enjoy being pet by their “flock”. In this case, it would be the family the live with.

Not really sure what the point of this thread is but I felt like I needed to share this. If you had experience with pigeons and doves, could you verify if what I said is true? Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure what pigeons you’re thinking of getting but the ones that moved into our shed and wouldn’t leave were darn noisy with their cooing. It could actually be heard through a couple of closed doors with some distance between them.... the shed was not attached to the house either so they were quite noisy. Personally I would much rather listen to non stop parrot sounds over pigeons cooing any day lol. Each to ones own I guess.

I hope you manage to get your dream bird :)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I’m not sure what pigeons you’re thinking of getting
I like Homing pigeons, but I’m looking at Chicago Pigeon Pets Rescue (@chicagopigeonpets) • Instagram photos and videos so I might end up adopting another breed if their personality matches better.
I’m not sure what pigeons you’re thinking of getting but the ones that moved into our shed and wouldn’t leave were darn noisy with their cooing. It could actually be heard through a couple of closed doors with some distance between them.... the shed was not attached to the house either so they were quite noisy. Personally I would much rather listen to non stop parrot sounds over pigeons cooing any day lol. Each to ones own I guess.

I always thought it was odd that pigeons cooed since I live in NYC and there are hordes of pigeons here and I’ve never heard them coo. But yes, I would prefer cooing over screaming.

I hope you manage to get your dream bird :)

Thank you!! :hug8:

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
*Just saying that I’m not gonna look at pigeons for a while and I’m gonna turn towards hamsters because they won’t interrupt my school life for now.

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
What about Budgerigars (Parakeets). They aren’t loud, they aren’t very messy (but you will still have a little Daily cleaning) they aren’t very expensive $20–$50 (neither are their cages $70–$120), and to take them to the vet it is only $30–$100 depending on what is wrong. They can become very tame and learn many many words/phrases. They are also very common in pet stores so you will have no problem getting one. Also they are inexpensive to feed. They can draw blood, but only a little.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
What about Budgerigars (Parakeets). They aren’t loud, they aren’t very messy (but you will still have a little Daily cleaning) they aren’t very expensive $20–$50 (neither are their cages $70–$120), and to take them to the vet it is only $30–$100 depending on what is wrong. They can become very tame and learn many many words/phrases. They are also very common in pet stores so you will have no problem getting one. Also they are inexpensive to feed. They can draw blood, but only a little.
I can’t get any bird right now because I will be going to college in the next 5 years. I have considered them though.
So your Mom doesn’t want a bird?
Correct: actually none of my family wants a bird.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Idk I had a family of pigeons take over my balcony and they were loud, also extremely messy and in the short time they took to lay an egg and rear their chick they left everything absolutely coated in poo. @tka did too, how did you find your pigeons?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Idk I had a family of pigeons take over my balcony and they were loud, also extremely messy and in the short time they took to lay an egg and rear their chick they left everything absolutely coated in poo. @tka did too, how did you find your pigeons?
I didn't find them annoyingly noisy: the babies kind of squeal, and there was some rather persistent cooing from the adults. There were incredibly messy though - I had to scrub my entire balcony with a strong solution of F10 after the chick fledged.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I didn't find them annoyingly noisy: the babies kind of squeal, and there was some rather persistent cooing from the adults.
I agree.

I say again, I am not looking to get a pigeon right now because AA has helped me realize that I’m not in the right position to get a bird. I am looking at hamsters now as I think they are a better match as of now.