• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caterpillars!

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
@Zara

I think they are teddy bear caterpillars or something? I can hold the,, and although they are sort of pokey, they don't have like needle sharp barbs or poison or something. Pictures! Because I didn't have a glass jar that was easy to reach into and wide enough, I used the bottom half of a limeade jug and a lid that I made out of a Cheerios cereal box. In spring, I had Eastern Tent Caterpillars. Also, notice all the leaves in there? THAT is how much 2 caterpillars eat in a day. And as I've had them, I can actually FEEL them getting heavier. PS ignore all the random stuff in the background.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are very cute!
Do they not walk a lot? How active are they? Would a critter carrier not be a good option for housing?
How long do you keep them for? or do you release the butterfly?
Sorry, lots of questions, I´ve never conversed with anyone in my life that had caterpillars (can you tell?! :lol: )

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Mostly they just walk to where the food is. :lol: This container is like 4"x4" and 6" tall, and it's a fine size. They couldn't escape from a critter carrier, either. That would totally work. I keep them until theybecome a butterfly(remember they can also become moths), and then release them because I have no idea how you feed moths/butterflies.I don't mind questions!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They like eating weeds. But I think they may need to overwinter outside. I agree with Bee, they are wooly bears & become beautiful moths. I'd investigate whether or not they can handle indoor heating.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@Zara

I think they are teddy bear caterpillars or something? I can hold the,, and although they are sort of pokey, they don't have like needle sharp barbs or poison or something. Pictures! Because I didn't have a glass jar that was easy to reach into and wide enough, I used the bottom half of a limeade jug and a lid that I made out of a Cheerios cereal box. In spring, I had Eastern Tent Caterpillars. Also, notice all the leaves in there? THAT is how much 2 caterpillars eat in a day. And as I've had them, I can actually FEEL them getting heavier. PS ignore all the random stuff in the background.

View attachment 358544 View attachment 358545 View attachment 358546
WOOLEY BEARS!!! Love those guys... I carry a special holder while driving in my car so can collect and bring home as many as possible... There are several different varieties... enjoy... Pat.

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
Wooly bears are neat. My gram always said there was some way to tell if we were going to have a short or long winter based on how much brown they have. The shocker is we always have a long winter no matter what the woolybears look like;)

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
They are very cute!
Do they not walk a lot? How active are they? Would a critter carrier not be a good option for housing?
How long do you keep them for? or do you release the butterfly?
Sorry, lots of questions, I´ve never conversed with anyone in my life that had caterpillars (can you tell?! :lol: )
Uh oh. Now this idea is stuck in my head. At some point I may have to upgrade them to a critter carrier, because you gave my that idea.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Uh oh. Now this idea is stuck in my head. At some point I may have to upgrade them to a critter carrier, because you gave my that idea.
GOOD... I love the Wooly Bears... So much train of thought as to amount of brown vs light color... depends on the variety tho... have fun.... I brought home a couple of the XLGE variety, but they never propagated in my yard! ... Pat. Late night... back in the morning... Pat.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wooly Bears! :loveshower: I don't actually know what those are, but I was feeling left out. :o: They're very cute though.

At first I was worried Wooly Bears might be another name for what I knew as "Wooly Worms" or "asps" down here. It's what we called the flannel moth caterpillar & but can they sting! Glad these are not the same!! :whw:

Last edited: