• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cat Recipes

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Post your favorite recipes and treats here.

kimmie99

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kim Gibson
See there aren't any recipes here! I'll post what I feed my cats as they don't get commercial food at all and the reason behind that. My vet was the one that actually recommended we feed raw chicken to our cats. One of my cats, Kovu was having some stool issues - pudding consistency and they STUNK like something horrid!. At first the vet suspected IBS but after scoping him he couldn't find anything. Not until several stool samples later when we found out it was Coccidia (common in cats). He suggested raw chicken to which I turned my nose and asked "what about Salmonella?" and he said their digestive tracks are too short so food isn't in there long enough for that. Ok I figured I'd give it a try. One of my other cats was allergic to grains, so I was already feeding a MEAT ONLY canned food. Well after day 1 of raw chicken Kovu's poos became the standard Tootsie Roll again. Never thought I'd be so happy about cat stools! :rofl: Then 1 day later there was NO MORE STINK! I can tell if they have commercial food now as their stools STINK! Raw doesn't!

So I scoured the internet and found Feline Future (which doesn't exist anymore - owner had to file bankruptcy and then restarted a new company tcfeline.com)

The recipe I use is from there but looks like it has changed just a smidge:

700g (1-1/2 lbs.) raw ground muscle meat
200g (1 cup) raw ground heart* (I can't get enough chicken hearts so I just use Mega Taurine instead)
100g (1/2 cup) raw pureed liver*
236ml (1/2 cup) water
2 raw egg yolks
2 Tbsp. edible bone meal (since I grind the bone with the meat I can leave out the bone meal)
1/2 tsp. iodized “Half Salt” or “Light Salt” (used to use kelp)
2000 mg Salmon oil
2000 mg Taurine
400 IU Vitamin E

(*ideally from the same species of animals as the muscle meat)
Yields ~10 days of food or 20 x 1/4 cup portions
You don’t need to add Vitamin A, B, or D, because these are naturally occurring in both the raw egg yolk and raw liver.
Do not add whole egg, but only the egg yolk. Egg white contains the enzyme Avidin which will make the essential B Vitamin Biotin unavailable to your cat.
Instead of Kelp, we add “Half Salt” or “Light Salt” to this recipe, which is readily available at your grocery store. It is a mixture of iodized sodium chloride and potassium chloride. It is easy to overdose iodine when using kelp on a small scale as in the do-it-yourself recipe.
Add 1 can of salmon, sardines, or mackerel packed in water as a source of Omega 3 fatty acids, instead of 4000mg Salmon Oil or an Omega 3 fish oil, if you wish.
Although heart meat contain Taurine, it is reccomended to add Taurine to assure optimal levels of this essential amino acid in this recipe.

Using this recipe while not necessarily cheap, has cut down a LOT of my vet bills because it boosts their immune systems up so that they don't get sick. Also if you don't grind the meat but cut into small chunks where they have to tear at it, it's that tearing of the tissue that cleans their teeth (like dental floss).

LyleMoody

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lyle Moody
i would love to go with the recipe and going to give it a try to taste my pets . hopefully they will enjoy it most

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
i would love to go with the recipe and going to give it a try to taste my pets . hopefully they will enjoy it most
Some come over to it quick and some turn their nose at it. Don't give up if they don't go for it at first! Actually you could try just some raw chicken to start (cut up in tiny pieces or grind it - yourself). NEVER buy already ground chicken at the store as you don't know their methods and since we'd COOK said chicken, feeding raw is different.

Kittens take to it easier and for them I double grind it or use a smaller grinder size.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Six chicken thighs with bone in. One-half cup of chicken broth. One pound of chicken livers. One pound of chicken hearts. Combine in casorole, NO salt, pepper, seasonings. Seven minutes on 100% power, twelve minutes on 50% power. Cool till you can handle the thighs to remove the meat, but leave meat in chunks; throw away bones (or give to parrots for the marrow). Cut cooked livers in half. Mix all solids together in the broth. Heat to 85 degress F and serve on a platter.

This is Thanksgiving dinner for my cats. They absolutely adore it.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Karen Pryor//Jackie Mash 03//Sieben & Jackie // Nasty Nic
http://shanlung.live...com/137954.html

I thought I add a bit more on my kitties with me now.

An Ivan about 20 years old and scruffy looking and an horrid Abbysinian Sieben, named after the companion of Druss of the Legend. Unlike that rutting Sieben, my Sieben will not do any rutting even if he got tons of energy

Above will be the mash I been giving to them. Except the animal protein component of the cooked mash is

200 gms of dried anchovies or called ikan bilis locally
250++ gms of chicken gizzards chop up
250++ gms of chicken liver chop up
500 gms of mince meat
400++ gms of salmon skin and flesh, discarded from human grade sashimi preparation as they do not fit the esthetics.

From facebook Feb 13

Just shot Ivan as well. With Sieben. Ivan who was able to pluck birds flying 6 feet up. Now Ivan can barely jump up to that printer on top of chair. He used to wake me in morning by leaping from top of 8 feet high cupboard to land on bed just inches from my face. I got terrified what if he misjudge? I was ugly enough as it was without him making it worse. He would continue to do that leap until I got out of bed. Now he stick his cold cold nose to my nose or stick a claw up my nose. He could barely get up the bed and no way he could leap up that cupboard now.

In additon to the mash, this is what I give to the kitties.

Extracted from my Facebook on Mar 14 2014

I was reading that chicken gizzards and liver got more taurine then minced pork. And read that kitties got recipe that have raw gizzard and liver . Then when I saw in supermarket that gizzard and liver about half the price of salmon bits and skin, I decided kitty should have that. I bought gizzard and liver and cut that to tiny pieces, filling 4 baggies of 100 grams and a fifth baggie of 70 grams that I decided to use as see fit. I bought 100 grams of wheat grass. Took 200 grams of salmon bits and skin and cut that into smaller pieces to make 4 baggies of (100 grams gizzard/liver and 50 grams salmon bits and skin) . Added 25 grams of wheat grass chopped into small pieces. and added 90 grams of wet kitty food. Each baggie of (100+50+25+90) or 265 grams will be the additions for each group of 4 days for kitty together with the kitty mash(that total 200-300 grams /day). One thing good for kitty is that they need not worry I help myself to the gizzard and liver the way I help myself to their salmon bits and skin (discards from the aesthetic making of human grade salmon sashimi) and found that to be better than what I bought for myself. That 4 baggies will be in the freezer with one thawed and used every 4 days.

This was done as I thought the kitties needed this to ommp up the kitty mash. I was delighted one day from morbid puerile curiosity giving the kitty just the kiitty mash to find they chomp that pure kitty mash all up.

So I decided each 265++ gm baggie of addition to kitty mash be good for 8 days instead of 4 days. I compensate by adding an egg each day to their mash & addition

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
After making disparaging remarks on poor Ivan

Just shot Ivan as well. With Sieben. Ivan who was able to pluck birds flying 6 feet up. Now Ivan can barely jump up to that printer on top of chair. He used to wake me in morning by leaping from top of 8 feet high cupboard to land on bed just inches from my face. I got terrified what if he misjudge? I was ugly enough as it was without him making it worse. He would continue to do that leap until I got out of bed. Now he stick his cold cold nose to my nose or stick a claw up my nose. He could barely get up the bed and no way he could leap up that cupboard now.

Let us remember Ivan is 20 years old now, and I taking poetic license with my words too.

I just found some photos of Ivan taken in mid 2011 when to amuse himself, he loved to leap from the top of cupboard to the bed. He did that often enough for my wife to shoot some photos.
He could leap right up to top of cupboard from floor and 3 year old Abby Sieben need to make intermediate jump to chair prior to leaping to top of cupboard.

Then Ivan did that less and less and no more in 2013 and 2014. When I was 30 years old or so, I could move up the mountains and down the mountains very fast laughing at 25-30 kilo backpack.

Now you hear no end of excuses from me over the creaking of my knees and ankles and my moaning and wheezing away.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I did not know people cooked for cats. And those recipes seem pretty gross to be honest :lol:

Thankfully, all my pets right now eat food that I find appetizing. Fresh greens, fruits, and herbs. All super yummy. Ground heard? Salmon oil? That just sounds like it would be stinky and icky :p

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
I did not know people cooked for cats. And those recipes seem pretty gross to be honest :lol:

Thankfully, all my pets right now eat food that I find appetizing. Fresh greens, fruits, and herbs. All super yummy. Ground heard? Salmon oil? That just sounds like it would be stinky and icky :p
Chey!

And neither did you know some crazy people take their grey out on bike rides sitting shotgun at the handle bars!

What is wrong about chewy chopped up raw chicken gizzard?
And yummy drippy raw chicken liver!
I am thinking of adding brains and lungs and pancreas as well.
Scots loved them in haggis and see how big they grow. And let us all remember Hitler is a vegetarian and Dalai Lama loves good juicy steaks!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Chey!

And neither did you know some crazy people take their grey out on bike rides sitting shotgun at the handle bars!

What is wrong about chewy chopped up raw chicken gizzard?
And yummy drippy raw chicken liver!
I am thinking of adding brains and lungs and pancreas as well.
Scots loved them in haggis and see how big they grow. And let us all remember Hitler is a vegetarian and Dalai Lama loves good juicy steaks!
I love eating meat - I just hate being the one to prepare it :hehe:

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Might amuse folks here (for those that had not known) how the cooking for kitties started.
And how the earlier ommph for the mash was like before I got to know of chicken gizzard and liver and hearts.
and currently lamp or beef or pork mince added to the ommph of the mash

I cook for kitties. That started with me cooking for Tinkerbell my parrot as I did not trust kibbles for parrots as they were loaded with ickky additives to remain in box with no refridgeration.

Then that distrust extend to kitty kibbles. Then one day when I chucked away the mash my parrot Riamfada left over at end of the day into my garden, to my amazement, 3 tiny kitties my wife rescued from a municipal dump rushed to eat that despite kibbles left out for them.

Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabou
shanlung: Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabout 2

(extracted from above)
That Tinkerbell Mash Batch 9 was made recently, with lots of baggies in the freezer.

I told you that I discard the mash Riamfada did not eat at the end of the day to the kitchen midden for wild birdies to forage about.

One day, I decided to give that discarded mash to the 3 little kitties. To see them fighting each other to gobble that up even when kitty kibbles were in another bowl next to them.

You know I have deep disquiet over kibbles that come out of a box. That extend also to kitties. So I decided to do a trial batch of kitty mash with Tinkerbell Mash as its foundation. I took out 3 baggies of Batch 9 from the freezer and defrosted them.

They weighed 840 grams. I kneaded 200 grams of minced beef into that lot as kitties needed taurine which can only be found in animal protein.

The 3 kitties loved the kitty mash. To both our surprise, the diarrhea that the 3 tiny kitties were having went away the next day giving us beautiful solid kitty turds. Must be our imagination, they seemed to grow so visibly. We only have a few weeks to go and I wanted to give them a better head start in the short time we got left.

Dommie also love that kitty mash, and it went quickly. Even though I topped that kitty mash with discarded Riamfada's mash at end of the day.

I then decided to cook a batch of special kitty mash as that first kitty mash went so quickly. The rest of Batch 9 will be for Riamfada.

Since then, I continued to cook for my 2 kitties Ivan (18 years old rescue from Hongkong and with us since then) and Sieben our Abby.

Extracted from recent postings I did in Facebook
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last well documented kitty mash here
Karen Pryor//Jackie Mash 03//Sieben & Jackie // Nasty Nic
shanlung: Karen Pryor//Jackie Mash 03//Sieben & Jackie // Nasty Nic

In a Nat Geo documentary on wild bears feasting on salmon, when there were loads of salmon, the bears got more particular and ate only the salmon skins and eggs discarding the flesh. And recently I saw in supermarket salmon skin with bits of flesh attached were being sold at half the price of salmon fillet. I love the salmon skin (I add to my porridge and noodles and COOKED) and found kitties love raw salmon skin too. Which got me adding it to their mash. Kittie mash by the way need not have raw salmon skin or mince meat added. Those were already cooked into the mash. 2nd last batch of mash had 200 gms of dried anchovies, 750 grams of pork mince in them. Last batch of mash had 200 grams of dried anchovies, 250 grams of pork mince, 750 gms of salmon skin cooked into it. On days when I too lazy to add more stuff, kitties happily eat the kittie mash anyway. Adding wet kittie food was a habit from the past that persisted on. From time to time, I add wheat grass and other greens to the mash. I spoil the kitties silly as I am trying to fatten them to the point I can slow cook and braise the kitties - once I can find a good recipe to slow cook kitties

The salmon/pork/wet kitty food are daily addition with regular kitty mash added to 200 to 300 grams daily. Deliberately fluctuated to torment kitties with nothing regular to be faced with feast and famine at my choosing. I also think periodic clearing of their digestion tracts good and healthy as if in wild, they never will have regular meals and I try to replicate that. I think enough photos of Sieben and Ivan for you all to judge their health and scream at SPCA to lock me up for cruelty to kitties

Documenting the additions that go into the total of 200 to 300 grams of mash for the 2 kitties, prepared every 4 days, hold into freezer with a baggie thawed again for the day.
100 grams of raw salmon bits and skin , 40++ grams of raw pork mince, 100 grams of wet kitty food combined with salmon and mince to 227 gms
Then 130 grams mash added and well mixed by kneading to 400 grams and divided into 4 baqggies, one used for the day and other 3 into freezer
typical baggie of regular kitty mash of 385 gms
4 baggies of 100 gm salmon/mince/wet kitty food/mash - which then be topped up with kitty mash to daily 200 to 300 grams fed to the horrid beasties

[/QUOTE]

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
See there aren't any recipes here! I'll post what I feed my cats as they don't get commercial food at all and the reason behind that. My vet was the one that actually recommended we feed raw chicken to our cats. One of my cats, Kovu was having some stool issues - pudding consistency and they STUNK like something horrid!. At first the vet suspected IBS but after scoping him he couldn't find anything. Not until several stool samples later when we found out it was Coccidia (common in cats). He suggested raw chicken to which I turned my nose and asked "what about Salmonella?" and he said their digestive tracks are too short so food isn't in there long enough for that. Ok I figured I'd give it a try. One of my other cats was allergic to grains, so I was already feeding a MEAT ONLY canned food. Well after day 1 of raw chicken Kovu's poos became the standard Tootsie Roll again. Never thought I'd be so happy about cat stools! :rofl: Then 1 day later there was NO MORE STINK! I can tell if they have commercial food now as their stools STINK! Raw doesn't!

So I scoured the internet and found Feline Future (which doesn't exist anymore - owner had to file bankruptcy and then restarted a new company tcfeline.com)

The recipe I use is from there but looks like it has changed just a smidge:

700g (1-1/2 lbs.) raw ground muscle meat
200g (1 cup) raw ground heart* (I can't get enough chicken hearts so I just use Mega Taurine instead)
100g (1/2 cup) raw pureed liver*
236ml (1/2 cup) water
2 raw egg yolks
2 Tbsp. edible bone meal (since I grind the bone with the meat I can leave out the bone meal)
1/2 tsp. iodized “Half Salt” or “Light Salt” (used to use kelp)
2000 mg Salmon oil
2000 mg Taurine
400 IU Vitamin E

(*ideally from the same species of animals as the muscle meat)
Yields ~10 days of food or 20 x 1/4 cup portions
You don’t need to add Vitamin A, B, or D, because these are naturally occurring in both the raw egg yolk and raw liver.
Do not add whole egg, but only the egg yolk. Egg white contains the enzyme Avidin which will make the essential B Vitamin Biotin unavailable to your cat.
Instead of Kelp, we add “Half Salt” or “Light Salt” to this recipe, which is readily available at your grocery store. It is a mixture of iodized sodium chloride and potassium chloride. It is easy to overdose iodine when using kelp on a small scale as in the do-it-yourself recipe.
Add 1 can of salmon, sardines, or mackerel packed in water as a source of Omega 3 fatty acids, instead of 4000mg Salmon Oil or an Omega 3 fish oil, if you wish.
Although heart meat contain Taurine, it is reccomended to add Taurine to assure optimal levels of this essential amino acid in this recipe.

Using this recipe while not necessarily cheap, has cut down a LOT of my vet bills because it boosts their immune systems up so that they don't get sick. Also if you don't grind the meat but cut into small chunks where they have to tear at it, it's that tearing of the tissue that cleans their teeth (like dental floss).
This is so interesting but what a job to have to make all this. Sorry i am no longer cooking just hate the kitchen now a days , lol