• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cat mind-altering parasite widespread in Australia - study

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Cat mind-altering parasite widespread in Australia: study

I've heard about this parasite before, as far as I know the research with it is still lagging to a degree. There's lots of wild speculation but no real statistics to back them up. It's definitely intriguing though... I love see more research in it. The implications that in may play a part car crashes is really troubling...

A little sidenote, I know this study focuses on Australia, but given cats popularity worldwide this parasite is pretty much everywhere. I've certainly read about it being in other places

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness. I have never heard of this. I would have to agree with the Doctor, this just can't be there affecting nothing.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Oh my goodness. I have never heard of this. I would have to agree with the Doctor, this just can't be there affecting nothing.
Yeah exactly. But how much is it really affecting is so up in the air. I believe it's been around for a long time. I think I've known about for at least 10 years. And I'm sure it's been around much longer than that. I believe it's the main reason pregnant women aren't supposed to change cat litter. It's very frustrating that it's been around for so long but it feels like we only scratching the surface with research

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If this is the same as toxoplamosis (guessing it is given how close the name is) then it has been around and known for more than 20 years...... When I was first pregnant I was warned about it because I had cats. Scary and interesting stuff.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Leads me to believe if you have mousers, cats the kill and eat these varmints. That's how I believe they get infected.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If this is the same as toxoplamosis (guessing it is given how close the name is) then it has been around and known for more than 20 years...... When I was first pregnant I was warned about it because I had cats. Scary and interesting stuff.
Toxoplasmosis is the disease caused by the parasite. So yes, it is referring to the same thing.