• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cat Litter

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I keep my cat boxes and my bird cage in separate rooms, but cat litter is awfully dusty. Will my bird be okay, or should I consider switching to something else like corn littler or walnut litter?

Sorry to ask so many questions lately. I want Glimmer to have the best possible life.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd consider researching alternative litter kinds. If it's that dusty, it can hardly be good for you or your cat either.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I would recommend looking for a dust free litter, like "World's Best Litter," which is made from corn surprisingly! It's also available in a clumping kind, if you like to not waste.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
We have a funny cat litter set up. We have a littler box with a bag lining it as the 'base'. Then, inside of that litter box is a second box (another litter-boxish thingy, but it's made with holes for stuff to through) and it's propped up on a couple of pieces of wood so it's maybe an inch or so off of the first box. We put pine(?used for horses) pellets in the second box (they're too big to go through the holes), and they stay in pellet form unless they are pooped/peed on, and then they just turn into sawdust and filter down to the 1st box. It's practically dust free, does't smell, and it is absolutely fine for the birds. :)
So in short, yes, I would suggest that you switch to a less-dusty method. I just wanted to share our setup with you as an idea. It's great that you are considering all of these things for Glimmer!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I also have the cat boxes in another room, and it doesn't get dusty if I don't drop the litter from above... I just let it roll in
I also use unscented litter, scented litter never helped with the smell anyway lol it's just more expensive

I've used those "yesterdays news" or something like that... it was like recycled newspaper turned into cat litter. That might be a good option if the dust is affecting your birdies

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Tidy cats lightweight free & clean unscented clumping cat litter is what my friend with two cats uses. She says it is quite good!