• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Carrots

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
On the bright side, if there was only one color she’d eat it’s a good thing it’s green. Broccoli, kale, and cucumber are all green so she may try them. Some birds are afraid of the color red because bright colors often mean “do not eat” in nature. So it makes sense. Sometimes hanging food like a toy will work, they do chew their toys. Maybe after realizing their toy is tasty they will eat it? Worth a try at least :)
That makes sense!

The only thing with the veggies is that I have to clear it before I go to work and it's never enough time for her to properly eat it!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I used to take a cleaned carrot with green top still on and put it in the cage like a perch. The budgies would stand on it and eventually chewed the carrot. You would be surprised at how much carrot a little beak could chew! Orange and red veggies are necessary in the diet. Birds will get vitamin A deficiency.

clarousel

I used to take a cleaned carrot with green top still on and put it in the cage like a perch. The budgies would stand on it and eventually chewed the carrot. You would be surprised at how much carrot a little beak could chew! Orange and red veggies are necessary in the diet. Birds will get vitamin A deficiency.
Silly question but how did you attach it to the cage?

BirdWorld

Didn’t you have to replace the carrot often before it got chewed much to prevent it going bad? How would that work?

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have found that my budgie prefers his veg (eats more of it) dehydrated and mixed in with his seed and pellets. He likes fresh green stuff but everything else I have more success with if it is cooked if need and chopped really small and dried.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I left the carrot in the cage for a couple hours only. It worked fine. The carrot was cut to fit between the cage bars. That is how it worked.

clarousel

I left the carrot in the cage for a couple hours only. It worked fine. The carrot was cut to fit between the cage bars. That is how it worked.
Gonna try that tmr! Won't it soften over time though?

It's super humid here...but I'll see how it goes!

Reactions: Ali

clarousel

I left her with sprouted quinoa and mung beans, a leaf of parsley (ended up with the pellets) and her pellets/seeds while I went to eat my dinner. Came back with a sugar snap to this mess but she's finally eating the actual sprout rather than the skin and tail :roflmao:

20200706_201437.jpg
Guess it shows time and patience does work!