• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Carrots

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
My budgies refuse to eat carrots. I know they are important and I have tried many ways to give it to them. Is there anything I could give them in place of carrots?

Reactions: Ali

BirdWorld

Usually, I give them a food then eat it myself, they will see me, and, realizing that it is edible, they will try it! I have introduced them to kale, cucumber, banana, apple, and strawberries like this and it works every time! Just not with carrots.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Usually, I give them a food then eat it myself, they will see me, and, realizing that it is edible, they will try it! I have introduced them to kale, cucumber, banana, apple, and strawberries like this and it works every time! Just not with carrots.
Raw brocolli is nice! It is an aquired taste though...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Carrots are good for Vitamin A but are not the only option.

Cooked sweet potato, squashes, pumpkin, red bell peppers, turnip greens (steamed), collared greens (steamed), and swiss chard (steamed) are all good sources of vitamin A. The dark leafy greens are also sources of calcium as long as they are steamed or otherwise cooked. Raw they are not as good of a source of calcium due to the oxalic acid in them.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Carrots are good for Vitamin A but are not the only option.

Cooked sweet potato, squashes, pumpkin, red bell peppers, turnip greens (steamed), collared greens (steamed), and swiss chard (steamed) are all good sources of vitamin A. The dark leafy greens are also sources of calcium as long as they are steamed or otherwise cooked. Raw they are not as good of a source of calcium due to the oxalic acid in them.
@BirdWorld told you!

clarousel

I can't get mine to eat any coloured veggies :( she refuses anything mushy or wet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can't get mine to eat any coloured veggies :( she refuses anything mushy or wet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
It can take time. I've had Ripley for almost 2 years and he just started eating any veggies in the last month.

clarousel

It can take time. I've had Ripley for almost 2 years and he just started eating any veggies in the last month.
I'll keep trying! For smaller birds is it best to offer it in small sizes? Ive tried making chop and she hates it haha

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'll keep trying! For smaller birds is it best to offer it in small sizes? Ive tried making chop and she hates it haha
it really depends on the bird, but since small, raw veggies are most like seeds, it may be worth a shot. Think of rice sized pieces :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

BirdWorld

sources of calcium as long as they are steamed or otherwise cooked. Raw they are not as good of a source of calcium due to the oxalic acid in them.
Does that mean I shouldn’t feed raw kale? Or just that it isn’t as good?

BirdWorld

My birds will only eat leafy greens if they are in strips or hanging as a whole. Picky birds! :heart: But it depends on the bird. Some love chop! Mine do not. Some ways to get them to eat veg are: sprinkle millet on the veggie to entice them to try
Eat it yourself so they can see its edible
Start eating it and pretend they can’t have any to make them jealous
Mix in into their pellets
And what do you mean they won’t eat any colored veggies? Aren’t all veggies colored?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does that mean I shouldn’t feed raw kale? Or just that it isn’t as good?
Dark leafy greens contain oxalic acid, which prevents the calcium from being absorbed by the body. It's the same reason everyone always cautions to not feed spinach.

Heat breaks the oxalic acid and Calcium bond so the body can absorb it.

So while there are many good reasons to feed dark leafy greens, one of their biggest benefits is lost when given raw.

It's fine to feed raw but much better given at least slightly cooked, especially if your bird isn't eating any pellets.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I grated carrots and put them in birdie bread. Have you tried this?

clarousel

My birds will only eat leafy greens if they are in strips or hanging as a whole. Picky birds! :heart: But it depends on the bird. Some love chop! Mine do not. Some ways to get them to eat veg are: sprinkle millet on the veggie to entice them to try
Eat it yourself so they can see its edible
Start eating it and pretend they can’t have any to make them jealous
Mix in into their pellets
And what do you mean they won’t eat any colored veggies? Aren’t all veggies colored?
I feel silly now, yes all veggies are coloured :roflmao:

She only eats green stuff. At the moment it's salad leaves and snap peas. I tried tiny chopped up carrot but nope. She won't go near bell peppers but would eat the seeds.

I've mixed it in her pellets before - she looks at it with disgust and she's off :wacky:

BirdWorld

I feel silly now, yes all veggies are coloured :roflmao:

She only eats green stuff. At the moment it's salad leaves and snap peas. I tried tiny chopped up carrot but nope. She won't go near bell peppers but would eat the seeds.

I've mixed it in her pellets before - she looks at it with disgust and she's off :wacky:
On the bright side, if there was only one color she’d eat it’s a good thing it’s green. Broccoli, kale, and cucumber are all green so she may try them. Some birds are afraid of the color red because bright colors often mean “do not eat” in nature. So it makes sense. Sometimes hanging food like a toy will work, they do chew their toys. Maybe after realizing their toy is tasty they will eat it? Worth a try at least :)