• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Carport Aviary

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Hello everyone, I've been looking into all sorts of aviaries recently, from ones made specifically for parrots to DIY ones to greenhouses with screen. I was thinking about mostly frames because stainless steel wiring with good spacing isn't crazy hard to find but frames seem difficult to work with. I liked the idea of greenhouses with the glass or plastic replaced with screening or wire but I couldn't find any frames without windows, the price nearly doubles with the windows and I feel that would just be a waste if I'm getting rid of them.

I was looking around and I saw some carports and I thought that they would be the most perfect frames and roof I could find but I was wondering if a stainless steel one would be safe for birds? All I saw when I looked it up was a few chicken coops from them, no parrot aviaries. I'm no where near in the time or position to get an aviary but I'm wanting to get a better idea of what would be a safe and large aviary for birds.

I'm mostly just wondering if using a carport with safe screen/wire and a cement slab floor or something similar would work as a good (and safe) outdoor aviary?

(this is just a picture of an example car port, some are very small but some are huge)
upload_2018-4-14_20-25-2.png

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I'm no where near in the time or position to get an aviary but I'm wanting to get a better idea of what would be a safe and large aviary for birds.
Same here! But goodness knows that I love planning for an aviary! :hehe:

Although I personally have not built an aviary, in my research for my someday aviary, I did find this: Build Your Own Bird Aviary – Here's How!

I hope this helps!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Stainless steel is safe for birds, as long as you get the right gauge for your birds. However, the price of stainless is or is about to skyrocket. I've thought about a carport frame, but I'm not handy and have no desire to screw up a gate or anything else in the construction process. Believe me, I could. I also wouldn't want a completely solid roof. I suppose you could cut it with a saw and the correct blade, if you desired.

You would probably have to look into permits if you're doing a cement pad. Someone could perceive it as a permanent structure.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm mostly just wondering if using a carport with safe screen/wire and a cement slab floor or something similar would work as a good (and safe) outdoor aviary?

That is an aviary. The hardest part of any aviary is the frame. Once you have a good frame skinning it with mesh is the easy part. Stainless steel is the best thing you could possibly make it from. Rather expensive but it you've got the money. The second best alternative is an aluminum frame. Any other kind of metal will rust away. Aluminum is actually better when it comes to rust than SS.

This entire situation is dictated by whether this is going to be a 100% supervised aviary or not. If supervised then you can build it any old way basically because its supervised.

If you plan on leaving them alone "unsupervised" then it really needs to be a "proven" secure/safe design. Not just to keep the birds from getting out and safe but from critters and thieves from getting in. Humans are the worst predators.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Thank you all for the replies!

This really helps with the cost, thank you so much for this! It gives a better idea of what it would turn out to be.

You would probably have to look into permits if you're doing a cement pad. Someone could perceive it as a permanent structure.
Ah, I forgot about that, I need to think about that if I'm going to use cement. It seems to be the safest option to keep animals out, thank you for mentioning that, I hadn't even thought of it!

That is an aviary. The hardest part of any aviary is the frame. Once you have a good frame skinning it with mesh is the easy part. Stainless steel is the best thing you could possibly make it from. Rather expensive but it you've got the money. The second best alternative is an aluminum frame. Any other kind of metal will rust away. Aluminum is actually better when it comes to rust than SS.
Yes, I've had a harder time finding frames than wire or mesh. I'd definitely be willing to set aside savings to eventually construct a large and safe aviary, it just seems much more enriching than a cage or room to me. Thank you about the aluminum, I hadn't realized it wouldn't rust very easily, this will definitely stay an open option.

If you plan on leaving them alone "unsupervised" then it really needs to be a "proven" secure/safe design. Not just to keep the birds from getting out and safe but from critters and thieves from getting in. Humans are the worst predators.
This is my main worry, it will probably be an unsupervised aviary and I'm very concerned about the security against predators and people as well as safety of the structure itself. If I do decide on an unsupervised aviary I may just go with a sturdy pre-made aviary or structurally sound DIY one in the interest of the bird's safety.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. I'm not making one soon but I have nothing else to do so in the meantime I may as well figure out a good (and realistic) design idea for an aviary. This is super helpful, I love this forum so much.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is my main worry, it will probably be an unsupervised aviary and I'm very concerned about the security against predators and people as well as safety of the structure itself. If I do decide on an unsupervised aviary I may just go with a sturdy pre-made aviary or structurally sound DIY one in the interest of the bird's safety.
Go to your local zoo and look at what they provide for their large birds. You will need something on that level (security).