• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for my 16 year old Tortie

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I've been administering sub Q fluids to my Girl every other day.

She has had a history with UTIs in the past. She at 3 years old had bladder stones surgically removed. At 12, she went to NC State for the radio iodine procedure for hyperthyroidism.

Fast forward to April. Thinking she had a UTI the morning I was leaving for FL, I had some antibiotics on hand. We gave them to her, she appeared to be over this. A vet visit a few weeks ago we got more meds. Weightloss happened, quite alot, with decreased appetite, so back we went. Still waiting on urine culture.

Blood work and Sr. Panel run. Kidneys are in early stages of the normal senior feline decline. Slight anemia and a heart murmur.

Whoa is me! Since giving her fluids, she gets only .75 ml every other day. She is eating again, small little meals and lots of treats.

Prayers for my Abby Girl. It just stinks when our pets get old. Kitten picture and adult picture 4 years ago and a few weeks ago.

DSCF0004.jpg FB_IMG_1561374741771.jpg 20190506_193543.jpg

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww look at that sweetie! I went through something similar with a cat two years ago, she was my Soul Cat, like my soul mate in a cat. It's so incredibly hard but I try to think of what a great life I gave them. I always say I'm not getting another because I can't handle the pain, but I always do! :heart::heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Aww look at that sweetie! I went through something similar with a cat two years ago, she was my Soul Cat, like my soul mate in a cat. It's so incredibly hard but I try to think of what a great life I gave them. I always say I'm not getting another because I can't handle the pain, but I always do! :heart::heart:
I know, it stinks. She's doing okay. As long as they want to eat, pee etc. It is the quality with any of mine.

I still have my Nitto, he's over 15 and okay. My Mom's cat will come to me if something happens to her. She's 91, and he's 4. :) I tell her she's living to be 100 so he can stay with her!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Awww, sweet girl!! :fairy: My tortie girl, Spook, turned 16 in June!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Abby is a pretty girl! :hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Awww, sweet girl!! :fairy: My tortie girl, Spook, turned 16 in June!
thank you, and that's cool you have a Tortie too and the same age almost. Abby was 16 in April. We adopted her June 2003. She was a 6 week old little thing :) always very sweet.

Abby is a pretty girl! :hug8:
thank you, she's a very sweet Girl.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
such a pretty girl

:sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Abby you are just too cute! What a inquisitive facial expression. I recently lost my 16 year old cat with a similar medical history. She stopped eating and drinking so i was hospice nurse again.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Abby you are just too cute! What a inquisitive facial expression. I recently lost my 16 year old cat with a similar medical history. She stopped eating and drinking so i was hospice nurse again.
Trust me, I am doing the fluids as instructed. I have never done this before! They handed me the bag and the line, needle, etc wasn't assembled. I called a vet tech Friend and went to where she works to get her to put it together lol!

I will so whatever it takes for my animals as long as the quality of life is still there. ;)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
She is beautiful. I hope she gets better soon

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will say a payer tonite that your furry baby wil pull through.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She still looks so young! I'm glad you're able to help her so much!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She still looks so young! I'm glad you're able to help her so much!
It's what we do for our babes! They didn't ask to be born, they didn't ask to be adopted. It's our job and our pleasure to take care of them all their lives with whatever it takes sometimes extra special care is necessary.

I am not one to play god with my pets. As long as life seems of quality, they can eat, drink water and they seem content that is the goal.

She's active and seems quite content. If she gains a few pounds back, and I think she has, that will make me happy.

:)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I still have Royal Canin GI high calorie food leftover from my cat I lost. She had IBD, likely more, and we fought for about 2 years with it. I lost her January of last year and I just can't bring myself to get rid of that food!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I still have Royal Canin GI high calorie food leftover from my cat I lost. She had IBD, likely more, and we fought for about 2 years with it. I lost her January of last year and I just can't bring myself to get rid of that food!
Well that is so sad. I know sometimes parting with their things. Jenny, our U2 we lost last June, I balled throwing her cage perches out. I did keep her last toy. It's hanging in my bedroom. It's a large Puff Chandra made for her. It's pretty, pink, white and green. :)