• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for my 16 year old Tortie

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm glad she's looking better Claire.

I went to see my parents at the cemetery yesterday and visited the pet area. We looked at all the graves and there were so many 16 year old cats but we did see one that lived to be 19! It was so sweet what people put on the graves like "Duke, he was a really good boy." There were pictures and tons of flowers. We love our animal companions.
We absolutely do love them. I believe that they make our lives whole and teach us to be better People. They are good for the soul!

And thank you, I really thought the end was near, but that wasn't the case yet!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We absolutely do love them. I believe that they make our lives whole and teach us to be better People. They are good for the soul!

And thank you, I really thought the end was near, but that wasn't the case yet!
I couldn't agree more that sharing our lives with animals makes us better. Give your old gal a hug from me.
:hug2::hug4:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I couldn't agree more that sharing our lives with animals makes us better. Give your old gal a hug from me.
:hug2::hug4:
Oh thank you! :hug8:She's a sweet Girl for sure.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well @suileeka the Stella and Chewy freeze dried turkey was a hit! Easy to crumble, moistens up perfectly. She just had a nice afternoon meal of that, moistened and ate some dry Fromm Game Bird. I like feeling a heavier belly when I pick her up.

Feeling very happy and optimistic that we are headed for complete healing!!

:bounce8::cantwait:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Fantastic news, Claire!!! I'm so glad she likes her new treats. My cats will mug each other for the Stella & Chewy food!

She is looking really good in your latest photo. It looks like the sparkle is back in her eyes.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That’s great news!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
An update on Abby. We are feeling better. She's eating quite quite well. In between treats, she is eating Fromm kibble a grain free duck that she really likes. I also got a bag of dehydrated Stella and Chewy Salmon and Cod.

Her belly is getting full, she's starting gain some weight. Eyes are bright and she seems very happy and active.

Only have sub Q fluids once in this past week. 20190806_213816.jpg
Aside from her extra caretaking , my sight challenged dog and my Mom who had to have a blood transfusion Sunday night I'm one tired Person!

20190806_213759.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
An update on Abby. We are feeling better. She's eating quite quite well. In between treats, she is eating Fromm kibble a grain free duck that she really likes. I also got a bag of dehydrated Stella and Chewy Salmon and Cod.

Her belly is getting full, she's starting gain some weight. Eyes are bright and she seems very happy and active.

Only have sub Q fluids once in this past week. View attachment 311832
Aside from her extra caretaking , my sight challenged dog and my Mom who had to have a blood transfusion Sunday night I'm one tired Person!

View attachment 311833
Bless all of your hearts! Glad to see your kittie doing so well... extra God's Blessing for your Mom!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Bless all of your hearts! Glad to see your kittie doing so well... extra God's Blessing for your Mom!
Thank you. My Mom needed 2 units, anemia and high BP. She's home and feeling better.

Not bad for 91, she's one tough Lady.

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Yes, she texts, emails she's as sharp as anyone I know. Truly blessed and amazing!
That's a fact-I have met her and she is really a special lady:heart::heart::heart: SO glad that your Kitty is doing so much better:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm not sure how I missed this thread!! Well so I am just now caught up and read it all. I am so glad your kitty is doing so much better. We have an older kitty as well, took him to the vet like 6+ months ago cause he was loosing weight etc. Vet told us it's probably some kind of intestinal cancer or something. So we came home and just tried to make him comfortable. So long story short, my dad researched for hours on end about his symptoms etc and discovered that pancreatic enzymes help him tremendously. He calculated the dosage according to his weight and we put the powder from the meds in shredded cheese. He has gained weight, his eyes are bright and not dull anymore. He is not suffering like he was. So as long as he eats his cheese balls and his quality of life is good then he's okay. Praying for your girl, I know how special kitties are and they are my world!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm not sure how I missed this thread!! Well so I am just now caught up and read it all. I am so glad your kitty is doing so much better. We have an older kitty as well, took him to the vet like 6+ months ago cause he was loosing weight etc. Vet told us it's probably some kind of intestinal cancer or something. So we came home and just tried to make him comfortable. So long story short, my dad researched for hours on end about his symptoms etc and discovered that pancreatic enzymes help him tremendously. He calculated the dosage according to his weight and we put the powder from the meds in shredded cheese. He has gained weight, his eyes are bright and not dull anymore. He is not suffering like he was. So as long as he eats his cheese balls and his quality of life is good then he's okay. Praying for your girl, I know how special kitties are and they are my world!
That's good to know about the enzymes. Our issue is more old age, wearing kidneys and the infection that really made her feel bad.

She's still very skinny, but wanting to eat all the time. May have to look into some herbal remedies or probiotics.

Eating, calories and still hungry, skinny I am stumped.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Updated picture today. We are almost 4 weeks since medication. Still wanting to eat all the time. Small snacks, loves dry food, cat treats and freeze dried Stella and Chewy. Today's new flavor was Duck and Goose.

20190821_173301.jpg

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
She looks spunkier and looks like she feels better! (AA is working again for me, knock on wood lol).

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She looks spunkier and looks like she feels better! (AA is working again for me, knock on wood lol).
She's acting fine, wanting to eat as soon as she hears me in the kitchen lol

A night and day difference she is getting heavier now!