• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for a bird with PBFD

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry you are in this tough situation. Poor little bird.

:sadhug2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I misunderstood a bit. I thought this was going to be a long term thing as in the bird was living with you now.

On a short term basis like a month you can handle it. Simply because you have to.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry you are having to go through this ...please try to give as much information to your parents (I believe that ownes the fid ) on this disease they need to know what to do ...sending hugs :hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do budgies get PBFD? I thought I read that they are virtually immune and are known carriers for the disease? Now I realized I may be very wrong so please dont take this info and slacken your diligence.

I would speak with other Aussies.

I am on a few Australian based parrot groups online and many have outdoor aviaries. And they do not seem to care if a PBFD cockatoo comes near their flocks. I am not sure as to why this is.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Budgies are indeed affected by PBFD of exposed. The more prevalent disease with budgies here is Avian Gastric Yeast.

I am unsure of why those with avaries wouldn't be too concerned I know I like to keep mine away from wild ones who visit as much as possible.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
@Bokkapooh yes budgies do get it unfortunately.

Insofar as isolation of avairies from natives, perhaps it is because to isolate appropriately is in general too difficult. I put Louis on the washing line to get sun and with the huge number of native cockatoos, galahs, lorrikeets, rosellas etc flying around there is always the risk of contamination.

I always supervise so no birds land on cage or line but I can see how virtually impossible it would be to isolate your outdoor avairy from wild birds in Australia.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no advice for you but am sorry about Scruffy.

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Woof! Good luck. I REALLY hope you don't contaminate your other birdied. 10/10 would not look after a bird with PBFD. Not even if my own mother asked me to on her deathbed.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor scruffy. I'm so sorry for him. If you don't care for him when they're away, who will? When a bird has this, won't they get worse if stressed?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need to "shower" and have a complete change of clothes (including shoes) every single time to you come in contact with him and those clothes must never enter your home. They must never be mixed with your other clothes. I would even go so far as to wear those paper haz-mat/dust suits and shoe covers.
:)
Okay, so you know I'm a HUGE worry wart.

Am I risking my parrots lives by taking them to the vet for well bird visits?

I've yet to see them in haz mat suits there. Just sitting in the waiting room could be fatal?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Okay, so you know I'm a HUGE worry wart.

Am I risking my parrots lives by taking them to the vet for well bird visits?

I've yet to see them in haz mat suits there. Just sitting in the waiting room could be fatal?

A professional vet practice is supposed to have protocols like any medical facility to prevent infection and have other safeguards in place. They would also recognize what they are dealing with and implement any steps needed.

Do they actually do this stuff? That would be where having a relationship with your vet would come in so you would know. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would guess that it's like going to your eye doctor. If you have no complaints, no active infection, little chance of exposure the exam room gets a basic wipe-down: the phoropter, everything you come into direct contact with gets a wipe with an alcohol pad and onto the next. If you have an active infection, the staff hazmat team comes out. Everything in the exam room is sterilized, the front desk, waiting areas, any frames you might have touched and their neighbors, phones and bathroom are sterilized. Go to a good doctor that you trust, and they will minimize the chances off cross infection.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The vet I see does appropriate disinfecting, I see them do it inbetween appointments whilst I am waiting.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would hope that anyone bringing a sick bird to the vets has informed them that they are sick.

And they get immediately brought into a screening room.

I tend to ask if I can be put in a room immediately after I come in. Safer for my birds that way and I tell them where they have poopedif they have pooped outside the carriers.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Poor scruffy. I'm so sorry for him. If you don't care for him when they're away, who will? When a bird has this, won't they get worse if stressed?

Thank you for your kind words. There aren't any other viable options at present. Scruffy goes home today. I presume stress would definitely make him worse.

Re worrying about the vet, I think pretty much all vets would engage in the required sanitation/sterilization requirements. But as someone else said, asking for a room immediately is a good idea as they should sterilize the room between visits. I would also wipe down their cage with an appropriate disinfectant when you return home.

It is no secret that hospitals for humans are breeding grounds for infection despite the very best efforts at minimising cross contamination. Particularly for MRSA, VRE and hospital aquired pneumonia. So it is wise to be vigilant and ask your vet outright is it safe for your bird to be out of cage in the room. For if things arent properly cleaned there is always a risk. Just be sensible and practical about it and I'm sure all will be ok. Don't overly worry about it.:)

The other most important thing is that you should also wash your hands properly after going somewhere like a vet. It has been indicated that (in different environments than the vet such as aviaties etc) humans actually cause more cross contamination between birds than the birds themselves. Whenever you have touched a surface that a potentially infected bird or their owner has, such as a door knob, there is always this risk of contamination.

:omg:

Last edited: