• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for a bird with PBFD

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I am trying to find some information regarding care for an infected PBFD bird. I would love to hear how others care for birds with this virus. In the context of a pretty much featherless bird, with only scarce tiny down and pin feathers does anyone bathe their bird? If so with what?

I have bathed a cockatoo I am looking after this morning in warm water and he loved it. His feet were filthy and he let me place them in the basin to soak.

I have cleaned his caged thoroughly with F10.

If anyone has some information or advise on how to care for a bird with PBFD please post!!!

slinky-kitty

@Percy&Ivan he is a sulfur crested cockatoo. He for some reason is incredibly bonded to me. I was the first person to "stroke" him and even sat by his cage reading a book, although my parents have had him for over 5 years. I look after him when they go away. Long story short, since I got my budgies, now just Louis, I told them I couldn't look after as they were so young they would invariably become infected. He is amazing. I am finding the infection control process tiring and trully hope Louis is ok. But Scruffy is such a beautiful bird. I am amazed by his charisma and charm. And his resilience (for want of a better word)....he deserves a life. I just hope I haven't jeopardized Louis's.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What kind of advice do you want? Your situation is one that not anyone I know would risk doing. PBFD is highly contagious. The longer and more you expose yourself to it, the higher the risk that you are going to pass it on to other birds. You need to be religiously fanatic about cleaning and maintaining quarantine from your other birds.

You don't need to treat him different than any other bird. This whole situation centers around quarantine. Your other birds complicate this situation tremendously.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Slinky-kitty, there are some people on this forum with experience with PBFD, I am not one of them. One who comes to mind is @mythic55. She lost her baby AG to the disease.

As John says, you must be absolutely religious about disinfection, especially with your other birds and yourself. You need to accept that Scruffy has received a death sentence and you can do no more than make what is left of his life as comfortable as possible.

I'm terribly sorry for the situation that you, Scruffy and Louis are in.

slinky-kitty

What kind of advice do you want? Your situation is one that not anyone I know would risk doing. PBFD is highly contagious. The longer and more you expose yourself to it, the higher the risk that you are going to pass it on to other birds. You need to be religiously fanatic about cleaning and maintaining quarantine from your other birds.

You don't need to treat him different than any other bird. This whole situation centers around quarantine. Your other birds complicate this situation tremendously.
Thank you John. If I may use your first name. But your reputation proceeds you! I understand fully thank you for your input. It is a fery bucked situation. I very much respect your postings on this forum and understand your "Black/White" sense and interpretation of things. But I am asking for advice. And trying to reach out for support.

Have I maintained infection control in my own back yard? I am trying.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The truth be told my dear is that I am deathly afraid for your other birds. Protocol will get broken along the way somewhere, sometime, somehow and they will get infected.

You need to "shower" and have a complete change of clothes (including shoes) every single time to you come in contact with him and those clothes must never enter your home. They must never be mixed with your other clothes. I would even go so far as to wear those paper haz-mat/dust suits and shoe covers.

You're handling a very hot potato. Please don't get burned. If you didn't have other healthy birds this would be much more manageable.
:)

slinky-kitty

I totally understand. It has tired me out by early arvo every day. See to Louis. Then see to Scruffy. Hair net, gown, glove, shoe disposable protection. Wash clothes. Nothing to come inside from laundry. Spray and clean and quarantine as best I know how. Shower wash hair. Hubby will generally do one of Louis's change but I am not interacting as much with him. Same thing in evening.

slinky-kitty

I have him for a couple more days. But don't know if I can do this again. They are going away for a month later in the year.

slinky-kitty

@Danita I am on fb but don't use it. Long story. In terms of infection control it is exactly as @JLcribber and others have said. I realise this.

Thank you for your input. I will try to reach out to the groups on fb perhaps through hubby.

slinky-kitty

@Hankmacaw thank you. I don't know how to tell my parents that I can't look after him again. And even more worried that I'll be telling them sad news re Louis in the mean time. They do not understand the nature of PBFD. Nor do many vets. Including avian. And the disease was "discovered" probably within 200 kilometers from where I write this message. I am shocked by the lack of understanding of this disease in my area.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am unsure too of what help I can be. With PBFD generally the bird will die of secondary illnesses due to a weakened immune system and will be treated according to what illnesses they incur during life as opposed to the actual PBFD. It's like an avian AIDS. Regular vet check ups are recommended to keep an eye on the bird's health. Weight as well as food habits and demeanour is a good indicator of health changes inbetween check ups.

The circovirus which causes PBFD has been known to live up to 12 months on surfaces, the bird may not shed the virus constantly but I would assume it does. F10 is a good disinfectant by all accounts. The recommended and only approved disinfectant used by Australian Quarantine for PBFD where the disease is prevalent and first discovered is Virkon-S quite a potent chemical.

Even the most vigilant of cleaning still carries a risk of cross contamination, the trouble with the virus is you can't see it. Hopefully the barrier methods you use have prevented this.

Good luck with it.