• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Care for a 35 day old cockatiel ?

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Hey
Glad to have found your thread. I am following the papaya cream after your suggestion. But while following your thread i thought his crop was emptying after the papaya cream....then wy else did you take him to the vet and why did you think you are going to lose him. I am standing in your shoes now. Just trying my best to keep him healthy. I have experience raising IRN but not cockatiel.
Take care...hooe illusion is doing well...
I did not purchase this bird, I volunteered to save it since I thought being a nursing student would help... I took him to the vet because I clearly have no experience raising birds and because when I weighed him he was 50 grams that meant 30 grams lighter than what cockatiel growth charts suggest for a month old. I'm glad I took him to the avian clinic tbh, he was diagnosed as malnourished.

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
I have a 6 month old cockatiel that still does this, not hungry or thirsty, just loud.
So I'm used to used to it, definitely a bit surprised at how loud the baby can be though, I feel like the sound echoes through my head minutes after feeding
i had a 6 month cockatiel who also still did it but only when i trained him. he kinda grew out of it after a while. I’m glad he did, it was a strange yell!

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
i had a 6 month cockatiel who also still did it but only when i trained him. he kinda grew out of it after a while. I’m glad he did, it was a strange yell!
Mine does it when he sees another human, he was parent raised so little to no human interaction. He did not allow me to touch him or transfer him into his outside cage for about a month, but he still screeches even when I give him attention or millet non stop

aysh

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aysha
I did not purchase this bird, I volunteered to save it since I thought being a nursing student would help... I took him to the vet because I clearly have no experience raising birds and because when I weighed him he was 50 grams that meant 30 grams lighter than what cockatiel growth charts suggest for a month old. I'm glad I took him to the avian clinic tbh, he was diagnosed as malnourished.
Thank u for ur reply. My KIWI is 70grams now. So i dont think i need to worry about weight???or shd i?? He is 23 days old..... and 72 grms in weight. However other than the crop emptying slowly there is no other issue i believe that too bcz i was feeding him a lot. Have strted feeding papaya and formula blended. 5CC. More papaya than the formula. Hope i see some difference. But about the crop bra idk....i put it on him ystrdy. Dnt even kno if its fitted well since i was worried i would end up suffocating him. Lets hope all goes well...

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I got him back today, as of 20-40 minutes to be exact, he is looking much larger and is weighed at 70grams. He is being fed 6 times a day so that means from 4 am to 12 am, it's going to be tough but I'll have to endure it, for 2 weeks atleast until I can begin weaning, he is 7 weeks old tomorrow or friday but I'm taking it way slower. And will go for revisions every 5-7 days.
How exciting! I've forgotten how much 'fun' that was... Pretty tiring. You should be able to go a little longer for the overnight lull to achieve an empty crop for the morning 1st feed... right? I think Zara had some comments on that earlier.
So pretty!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I never knew that cockatiels screamed like that...
It´s a baby thing :) When you hear folks saying ¨cocktiel dinosaur noise¨, this is what they are refering to :lol:

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
Mine does it when he sees another human, he was parent raised so little to no human interaction. He did not allow me to touch him or transfer him into his outside cage for about a month, but he still screeches even when I give him attention or millet non stop
i used to give him millet too because i thought he was hungry at the time but he would NOT stop, he’d even do it while he had millet in his mouth XD

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Does his crop look empty to you guys? When I palp it it feels like there's little contents in it, I can feel his neck or throat, there's no tension when doing the palpation as there would be with a full crop... It's his last feeding of the day in 1 hour 12 am so I'm not sure.
It does not feel completely flat agaist the chest to be more exact, to my bad luck I went to the clinic minutes after they had fed it so I don't even know what an empty crop feels or looks like.
IMG_20210311_224925.jpg IMG_20210311_224928.jpg IMG_20210311_224921.jpg

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It looks flat like it’s empty but the bottom of it looks like it’s going past the abdomen, maybe it’s a bit overstretched? It’s hard to tell from pictures though. If you shift around his feathers you might be able to see the formula, but if not an empty crop should be super moveable and feels like loose skin (as they get older the skin thickens, though). When it’s full you’ll feel the formula in there.
Don’t make him go too long without eating, that causes malnourishment (and these little guys grow so fast they need those calories). If the crop is going past the keel bone, you can make a crop bra for him. Sorry for the late reply, I hope you figured him out okay. You’re doing great!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes that seems ok, if this was an hour before a feed.

Remember though, if there is still a little formula in there and the chick is screaming away for food, then feed him a little early, so maybe a half hour earlier than when you were going to feed.

The other thing to be aware of is that when the bird is out of the brooder, and feeding time is coming up soon, they will likely start crying for food because they see you and know you bring food. If you left them alone in the brooder, they would be more likely to stay quiet or sleep until that feed.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Yes that seems ok, if this was an hour before a feed.

Remember though, if there is still a little formula in there and the chick is screaming away for food, then feed him a little early, so maybe a half hour earlier than when you were going to feed.

The other thing to be aware of is that when the bird is out of the brooder, and feeding time is coming up soon, they will likely start crying for food because they see you and know you bring food. If you left them alone in the brooder, they would be more likely to stay quiet or sleep until that feed.
Hi, everything was okay after that. I would say better than okay since his crop has been emptying fast. His weight is now up to 75g and is getting fed 6-7 cc.
Until today morning, he did not want to take the formula at all. I weigh him before and after feeding, and his 75g were brought up to 78g so he only ate half of what he usually does, could he be starting to wean ? Or just in a “mood”

today he is about 52 days, so just a little over 7 weeks...

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hi, everything was okay after that. I would say better than okay since his crop has been emptying fast. His weight is now up to 75g and is getting fed 6-7 cc.
Until today morning, he did not want to take the formula at all. I weigh him before and after feeding, and his 75g were brought up to 78g so he only ate half of what he usually does, could he be starting to wean ? Or just in a “mood”

today he is about 52 days, so just a little over 7 weeks...
When Phoenix stopped wanting formula before weaning I started going longer between feedings. I'm not sure when you can give Tiels solid food

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
When Phoenix stopped wanting formula before weaning I started going longer between feedings. I'm not sure when you can give Tiels solid food
He ate maybe 4 cc in 2 feedings, its been 14 hours, he is fledging though, he flew across my bed...

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
As I typed the last reply he started screaming for food, I didn't weigh him before the feeding as I was in a rush trying to make the food, he ate a lot, he is good at telling me when to stop, but since it's been 14+ hours he ate about 12 cc and his weigh went up to 88g

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If he's flying it may be a good time to start feeding him some soaked pellets(so they're more like formula). When they start flying they start eating less formula, Phoenix almost full-on stopped wanting formula once he started flying. I don't think he ever wanted it once he started flying either but I still offered it just in case, he ate a little bit for awhile but soon he was just spitting it all out because he only wanted real food... I just looked it up, it says cockatiels are usually fully weaned at the age of 10 weeks, so I think now would be a good time to start offering pellets (or whatever you are going to wean him onto) sorry I don't know much about tiels

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
If he's flying it may be a good time to start feeding him some soaked pellets(so they're more like formula). When they start flying they start eating less formula, Phoenix almost full-on stopped wanting formula once he started flying. I don't think he ever wanted it once he started flying either but I still offered it just in case, he ate a little bit for awhile but soon he was just spitting it all out because he only wanted real food... I just looked it up, it says cockatiels are usually fully weaned at the age of 10 weeks, so I think now would be a good time to start offering pellets (or whatever you are going to wean him onto) sorry I don't know much about tiels
I give chop, pellets (nutribird) and seed, but my current tiel picks only the seeds and very little chop, so maybe I'll try that

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
He's not really flying as he's being kept in a diy brooder tub, I don't know if I'm slowing him down by keeping him like that, but my room is quite cold so I don't take him out of the tub unless I'm feeding or crop checking him.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
He's not really flying as he's being kept in a diy brooder tub, I don't know if I'm slowing him down by keeping him like that, but my room is quite cold so I don't take him out of the tub unless I'm feeding or crop checking him.
Is he fully feathered yet? He should be okay out of the room for a while if he is, just make sure he doesn't get too cold (he'll start looking puffed up if he is getting cold). When Phoenix had almost all his feathers (he basically just needed his tail to grow out at this point) I started putting him in a travel-sized cage with some toys to play with for a couple hours a day, my room was about 75 degrees at the time but if you just watch your tiel he should be okay

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Is he fully feathered yet? He should be okay out of the room for a while if he is, just make sure he doesn't get too cold (he'll start looking puffed up if he is getting cold). When Phoenix had almost all his feathers (he basically just needed his tail to grow out at this point) I started putting him in a travel-sized cage with some toys to play with for a couple hours a day, my room was about 75 degrees at the time but if you just watch your tiel he should be okay
Yes fully feathered, I waited one more hour before his second to last feeding and he seemed interested in formula again, also his crop was pretty much empty after those 12 cc