• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Care for a 35 day old cockatiel ?

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Also, are you positive there’s no avian vets in your area? I didn’t think I had any in my town, but I went around calling places and it turned out one of the veterinarians that worked at a non-exotic vet clinic actually had a huge background with avian vet-med
I found another one on a bird website, vet students with avian specialization. Better than nothing, less than 20 min away. I just don't know how I should proceed about handing him over or if they even have that service available. I'm sure it will have better chances of survival with someone experienced.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I found another one on a bird website, vet students with avian specialization. Better than nothing, less than 20 min away. I just don't know how I should proceed about handing him over or if they even have that service available. I'm sure it will have better chances of survival with someone experienced.
I honestly doubt they’ll be able to raise the bird for you, it takes a lot of time, but you could always ask. But I think you’re doing good! If it’s only 20 minutes away you should definitely get a checkup to ease your mind, especially with all the crop issues your little guy was having. Although they are still students, you may want someone who’s experienced in crop swabbing and such

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
I honestly doubt they’ll be able to raise the bird for you, it takes a lot of time, but you could always ask. But I think you’re doing good! If it’s only 20 minutes away you should definitely get a checkup to ease your mind, especially with all the crop issues your little guy was having. Although they are still students, you may want someone who’s experienced in crop swabbing and such
I took him to the avian vet, surprisinlgy they were busy. They had such humane approach to the baby bird, they did confirm eveything I said here and the baby tiel will be staying there for a few days until he can get more stable. It will cost me more than I planned but at least I know I did everything to save it.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I took him to the avian vet, surprisinlgy they were busy. They had such humane approach to the baby bird, they did confirm eveything I said here and the baby tiel will be staying there for a few days until he can get more stable. It will cost me more than I planned but at least I know I did everything to save it.
That’s really good to hear. I’m glad he’s getting the care he needs. I’m sure he appreciates it! :heart:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Have you heard how the little guy is doing?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I thought YOU WERE DOING GREAT as a new parent, especially for not having hand-feeding experience... And Britnicorns advice has been invaluable!
I LOVED the videos! Played them several times, until my cockatoo got crabby at the begging. SHE wanted to be fed!
I wish you a long and happy bird raising experience! Present and future [hint, hint]... ;)

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
I thought YOU WERE DOING GREAT as a new parent, especially for not having hand-feeding experience... And Britnicorns advice has been invaluable!
I LOVED the videos! Played them several times, until my cockatoo got crabby at the begging. SHE wanted to be fed!
I wish you a long and happy bird raising experience! Present and future [hint, hint]... ;)
Thank you so much, but I definitely did not know what I was doing, I was freaking scared when emptying his crop via massage, I did not even know you had to feed in a certain angle to prevent aspiration, I think he aspirated at some point, (you know when someone goes weak and faints?) he did that once. He is okay now I've recived a few videos from the clinic, he is doing better now but not gaining weight, they've made the formula a thicker consistency now, and will clean his feathers soon. It's a pretty penny but I rather pay than to have that in my conscience.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Here he is today I decided to name him illusion as my cockatiel is named glamour (wandavision reference)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Here he is today I decided to name him illusion as my cockatiel is named glamour (wandavision reference)
Oh my gosh what a cute baby raptor you have :roflmao: :heart: He honestly looks really good to me, and I love the name!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
oh my goodness you have a lot of courage going into this pretty blind! i would not have the faith in myself to do that! you were doing awesome!! you did the right thing for that little guy. i also love the name!! i just finished watching wandavision myself. :)

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
oh my goodness you have a lot of courage going into this pretty blind! i would not have the faith in myself to do that! you were doing awesome!! you did the right thing for that little guy. i also love the name!! i just finished watching wandavision myself. :)
I'm not doing anything actually, not anymore. He is at the avian clinic and I receive daily updates on how he's doing

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
You were doing FINE....
Not really, he was looking really weak in between feedings. Even more after I massaged his crop empty as I was feeding him double of what he needed before I got a gram scale, so his crop was over stretched and not emptying even if the contents were pretty warm as they came out.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Will he stay very long at the vets?
I got him back today, as of 20-40 minutes to be exact, he is looking much larger and is weighed at 70grams. He is being fed 6 times a day so that means from 4 am to 12 am, it's going to be tough but I'll have to endure it, for 2 weeks atleast until I can begin weaning, he is 7 weeks old tomorrow or friday but I'm taking it way slower. And will go for revisions every 5-7 days.

Gigibirds

Aww what a sweetie! I never knew that cockatiels screamed like that... I'm glad that he's doing so well, though! :)

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Aww what a sweetie! I never knew that cockatiels screamed like that... I'm glad that he's doing so well, though! :)
I have a 6 month old cockatiel that still does this, not hungry or thirsty, just loud.
So I'm used to used to it, definitely a bit surprised at how loud the baby can be though, I feel like the sound echoes through my head minutes after feeding

aysh

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aysha
I got him back today, as of 20-40 minutes to be exact, he is looking much larger and is weighed at 70grams. He is being fed 6 times a day so that means from 4 am to 12 am, it's going to be tough but I'll have to endure it, for 2 weeks atleast until I can begin weaning, he is 7 weeks old tomorrow or friday but I'm taking it way slower. And will go for revisions every 5-7 days.
Hey
Glad to have found your thread. I am following the papaya cream after your suggestion. But while following your thread i thought his crop was emptying after the papaya cream....then wy else did you take him to the vet and why did you think you are going to lose him. I am standing in your shoes now. Just trying my best to keep him healthy. I have experience raising IRN but not cockatiel.
Take care...hooe illusion is doing well...