• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Care for a 35 day old cockatiel ?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Yes fully feathered, I waited one more hour before his second to last feeding and he seemed interested in formula again, also his crop was pretty much empty after those 12 cc
Sounds good to hear. You could probably start hanging out with him more, but have him rest for at least an hour or two after a feeding to avoid knocking a full crop

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Sounds good to hear. You could probably start hanging out with him more, but have him rest for at least an hour or two after a feeding to avoid knocking a full crop
How old was phoenix when weaned ? Do budgies wean faster ? I offered crushed pellets which he did take but I'm not sure he ate any since his crop was still empty.
He did not take more than 2 cc for the first and second feeding, he did take 10+ cc at the third one wich was 12 hours after the last feeding, I'm not sure why though, his crop is empty first thing in the morning...

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
How old was phoenix when weaned ? Do budgies wean faster ? I offered crushed pellets which he did take but I'm not sure he ate any since his crop was still empty.
He did not take more than 2 cc for the first and second feeding, he did take 10+ cc at the third one wich was 12 hours after the last feeding, I'm not sure why though, his crop is empty first thing in the morning...
Yes budgies wean faster, they also grow way faster. Phoenix is officially weaned as of Monday(has gone a whole week without formula) but he started denying formula when he was around 5-6weeks old (He's almost 8 weeks now).
How often are you feeding him the formula?
When Phoenix started weaning(I let him start on his own, he wanted to wean), I fed him formula 5 times a day (every four hours, this was when I had him start sleeping for 8 hours at night, I stopped feeding him formula at 10pm and woke up at 6am to feed him) then after a couple of days I started 4 times a day(about every 5-6hours) because he was wanting more real food instead of formula(I think it was around this time I had him start sleeping in the little travel-sized cage too, then after a couple more days 3 times a day (every 8 hours), and very quickly after this he was denying formula altogether, but I still started offering it twice a day(for only 3 days), then once a day(for only one day), just so he doesn't feel like I was starving him and to avoid him regressing back to formula.
Just be sure to offer plenty of solid food. You don't want to limit him during this time. Also, when he starts really flying he will lose some weight and that's okay, just be sure its not a sudden drop in weight, and also watch for any sign of lethargy or anything off about him.

I moved Phoenix to his normal-sized cage once he started flying around the room, but I put a soft nonpilling fleece blanket at the bottom in case he fell down.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Yes budgies wean faster, they also grow way faster. Phoenix is officially weaned as of Monday(has gone a whole week without formula) but he started denying formula when he was around 5-6weeks old (He's almost 8 weeks now).
How often are you feeding him the formula?
When Phoenix started weaning(I let him start on his own, he wanted to wean), I fed him formula 5 times a day (every four hours, this was when I had him start sleeping for 8 hours at night, I stopped feeding him formula at 10pm and woke up at 6am to feed him) then after a couple of days I started 4 times a day(about every 5-6hours) because he was wanting more real food instead of formula(I think it was around this time I had him start sleeping in the little travel-sized cage too, then after a couple more days 3 times a day (every 8 hours), and very quickly after this he was denying formula altogether, but I still started offering it twice a day(for only 3 days), then once a day(for only one day), just so he doesn't feel like I was starving him and to avoid him regressing back to formula.
Just be sure to offer plenty of solid food. You don't want to limit him during this time. Also, when he starts really flying he will lose some weight and that's okay, just be sure its not a sudden drop in weight, and also watch for any sign of lethargy or anything off about him.

I moved Phoenix to his normal-sized cage once he started flying around the room, but I put a soft nonpilling fleece blanket at the bottom in case he fell down.
I offer 5-7mL every 4 hours which he took for the past week he's been back with me, until yesterday. His crop has not slowed down, the contrary I would say.

He is 55 days today, so 8 weeks tomorrow. His last feed is at 12 am and then at 9 am or atleat that used to be his schedule, every 4 hours, 5-6 feedings a day.

As of right now is taking the 12pm, 4pm and 12 am,

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I offer 5-7mL every 4 hours which he took for the past week he's been back with me, until yesterday. His crop has not slowed down, the contrary I would say.

He is 55 days today, so 8 weeks tomorrow. His last feed is at 12 am and then at 9 am or atleat that used to be his schedule, every 4 hours, 5-6 feedings a day.

As of right now is taking the 12pm, 4pm and 12 am,
I would take out one of those feedings and replace it with the pellets you are giving him, it sounds like your tiel is ready to start weaning
I forgot Phoenix and your baby are the same age :roflmao: :heart: did you name him yet?

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
I would take out one of those feedings and replace it with the pellets you are giving him, it sounds like your tiel is ready to start weaning
I forgot Phoenix and your baby are the same age :roflmao: :heart: did you name him yet?
He is straight up refusing formula as of now, he ate less than 1cc, I even made some rice with chop and he picks at it but does not eat any. Also with the crushed pellets and seed... His weight is 80-81g as of right now, if it goes lower I'll have to take him to the clinic again

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How are you feeding formula? Spoon or syringe?
Have you tried offering mashed veggies or soaked pellets instead of seed? Some young birds struggle to hull the seed.
Your bird looks very young. Remember the average tiel weans at 10-12 weeks.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
How are you feeding formula? Spoon or syringe?
Have you tried offering mashed veggies or soaked pellets instead of seed? Some young birds struggle to hull the seed.
Your bird looks very young. Remember the average tiel weans at 10-12 weeks.
I do the spoon method, I offer in his normal schedule but he only eats 1-2cc on the morning feeding and nothing until the noon feeding. He is 8 weeks old today. I use a food thermometer and always feed 39-41 celcius.
Could it be because he is fledgling ? He has flown across my bed and excercises his wings, he even perches.
I don't know how long this lasts though.

And yes, I tried cooked chop with a bit of brown rice, he did chew on it but dropped it back out. Was less interested in it than the seeds.

Last edited:

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
He is now 9 weeks old, shows interest for seeds and chop, chews on it and takes of the husk/shell but does not eat it. I've offered seed for about a weeks but does not want it.

Is now 80-83 grams, eats 10-12cc per feeding 3 times a day crop is EMPTY at every feeding and goes down in 3-4 hours maybe less.

He is fully winged and has flown a few feet. When can I take him out of the brooder? or introduce him to the other tiel ?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You can definitely take him out of the brooder if he’s got all of his feathers! Do you have a travel cage you can put him into for a few days while he learns the basics of a cage?(like how to climb up the bars and catch himself if he falls) if not you can just put a nonpilling fleece blanket at the bottom of the cage you have with perches at the bottom of the cage (only an inch or two high). I hear cockatiels are accident prone, so maybe leave the blanket in there for awhile :rofl:

What temperature has the brooder been at? If it’s more than a few degrees higher than room temperature I’d start slowly turning the temperature of the brooder down before moving him... you don’t want to make him chilled. I’d start with 2 degrees per day until you’re down to room temperature, then when you move him to the cage be sure to watch him so he doesn’t get cold. If the crop is emptying too fast that could be because he is still in the brooder, high temps make the food flow through faster

After a quick google search(so not sure how accurate the information is) it looks like tiels don’t wean until 8-12 weeks. I wouldn’t worry about him not being interested yet. He’ll start to eventually! It’s great that he takes the hull off though, are you sure he’s not eating it? What type of seeds are you feeding him? Maybe you should try soaked pellets and some boiled/mashed veggies?

I’m so glad to hear he’s doing so good. You’re doing such a good job!!

(I also know that I’m not an expert at all, this was just all the advice I had gotten for Phoenix)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is now 80-83 grams, eats 10-12cc per feeding
Try not giving over 10CC per feed. 10% of his weight is 8-8.3CC of food, and a little extra is ok. 12 Is a lot.
Be sure you are offering adult foods. Have pellets and seed available all the time, and offer some soaked warm pellets or mashed veggies right after formula feeds.
Warm the room up and move him into a cage if he is fully feathered and flying.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Try not giving over 10CC per feed. 10% of his weight is 8-8.3CC of food, and a little extra is ok. 12 Is a lot.
Be sure you are offering adult foods. Have pellets and seed available all the time, and offer some soaked warm pellets or mashed veggies right after formula feeds.
The brooder sits at 28-30 celcius while my room is at 24. Will that be okay ?

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Hi, another question. How thick should the formula be now? I've seen some YouTube videos that recommend making it thicker almost like a paste or mashed potato consistency. Is this okay?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Each formula has it´s own instrustions, but at this age it´s usually 1 part powder to 1.5-2 parts water. If you notice it is too dry or thick, add a drop of water.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Any updates?:)
13 weeks now. Not weaning, not losing weight.
He does peel and crack seeds, but does not eat any, I've put him with my other tiel so he can learn by sight, but it's not worked so far... I check his crop after feeding both tiels but his is always empty.

He does eat his formula on his own though which I've thickened up so he can easily eat it himself

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
13 weeks now. Not weaning, not losing weight.
He does peel and crack seeds, but does not eat any, I've put him with my other tiel so he can learn by sight, but it's not worked so far... I check his crop after feeding both tiels but his is always empty.

He does eat his formula on his own though which I've thickened up so he can easily eat it himself
It's okay, he'll learn when he's ready. I'm so glad to hear he's doing good!