• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cardio, Respiratory and Circulatory Diseases

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm starting this thread so we on AA can have full discussion of these diseases. How they begin, how to reduce the risk for your bird(s), the symptoms to watch for and the cures and palliative care available.

In recognition of Holiday's loss of Zoe we will start with Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Disease. There have already been at least three people who have paid attention to the cause of Zoe's death and are making changes in the care of their birds.

RESPIRATORY DISEASE IN SOUTH AMERICAN SPECIES ESPECIALLY MACAWS AND CONURES
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome
Although good ventilation is necessary for any type of bird, it is especially critical for South American species. Blue and Gold Macaws, as well as Sun Conures seem especially sensitive to airborne irritants. They may develop a progressive respiratory disease known as "pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome” if housed in a poorly ventilated room, especially if kept with birds that produce a great deal of powder: Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds or African Grey Parrots.

This powder is produced by specialized "powder down feathers" and is a white waxy substance composed of keratin. Powder down forms a water proof barrier for contour feathers. It is spread through the feathers when the bird grooms. The down is composed of very fine particulate matter which becomes airborne easily and spreads via air currents and air ducts throughout the environment.

The powder down can also cause irritation to people with respiratory problems and allergies. People with allergies may be able to tolerate these birds, but they should be aware of this before acquiring one of these dusty species.

In the early stages of pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome, the bird may appear normal, but wheeze when excited. As the condition progresses, dyspnea (difficulty in breathing), a cough, and a bluish tinge to the facial skin (cyanosis) develops. Hypoxia or under oxygenation of tissues often leads to an increase in the number of circulating red blood cells (RBC) termed Polycythemia. This increases the viscosity of the blood so that it does not flow normally. Subsequent immuno- suppression may lead to Aspergillosis, a deadly respiratory fungal disease.

Clinical symptoms, blood work, and high resolution digital radiographs may support the diagnosis, but a lung biopsy is necessary for confirmation.

In order to prevent this, South American Species should be housed in well ventilated rooms without Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, or African Grey Parrots. In addition, an air cleaner with a HEPA filter is highly recommended.

Unfortunately, this pulmonary disease is often advanced when the owner first notice the problem get it diagnosed by a trained avian veterinarian familiar with this syndrome. Certain drugs may provide temporary relief, but there is no cure for this syndrome." http://www.thebirdclinic.com/uploadedfiles/pulhyper2009.pdf

Everyone who is keeping macaws, Amazons or conures with dusty birds should review their methods of cleaning the air and keeping their New World birds safe. Holiday was running two air-cleaners and still Zoe got sick.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so glad that you've started this thread. I was going to place my new baby macaw's cage next to my CAG's cage, but now I'm thinking I should do otherwise. The only way I can accommodate his new cage is to move the cages around and put his cage on the opposite wall. They'll still be in the same room, but not next to each other. Do you think that will be suffice?

I have a HEPA filter, but I don't keep it on 24/7. I most certainly will once my macaw comes home.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't think that you bird can only develop PHD (Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Disease) from the dust of other dusty birds. Smoke, Volatile Organic Compounds (Paint fumes, perfume, strong cleaning chemical fumes.....), excess exposure to dust and pollens, plus many others can all compromise your birds lungs and air-sacs.

Respiratory emergencies
Difficulty breathing is a common complaint in birds presented for emergency or critical care. After administering oxygen or establishing an airway and adequate ventilation, a thorough evaluation of the animals respiratory tract must be performed to determine the cause of the problem. Character of respiration may be helpful in making a diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Primary pulmonary disease (pneumonia, pulmonary congestion or hemorrhage), upper airway obstruction and abdominal disease that interferes with the filling of air sacs may all present as respiratory distress.

Pulmonary disease may result from a variety of causes including heart disease, fungal, bacterial, viral and parasitic pneumonia or pneumonitis, and airborne toxins. Symptomatic treatment should include oxygen, antibiotics, and other supportive therapy such as diuretics. The use of bronchodialators and corticosteroid are controversial. Nebulization of medication and or humidification will benefit some patients.

Upper airway obstructions are common avian emergencies. Inhaled foreign bodies (e.g., millet seeds inhaled by cockatiels), fungal and bacterial granuloma at the syrinx and glottal papillomas may result in near total to total obstruction. These patients present with a history of acute onset of dyspnea, often with no previous sign of disease. Initial evaluation of respiration may show open mouth breathing, inspiratory and/or expiratory stridor, very often with a musical squeak-like respiratory sounds originating at the glottis or syrinx combined with cyanosis are suggestive of upper airway obstruction. The cyanosis and signs of distress may become evident with any stress or restraint. The decision of what point to intercede and intubate the air sac should be based on whether the patient can tolerate diagnostic and therapeutic care without becoming cyanosis. If cyanosis with or without restraint, intubation should be considered. Common Avian Emergencies | Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital "

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Now I'm coming to the realization that my baby Jardine's, Bogart, most likely died from this. His cage was right next to Maalik's cage.

I've made the decision to place my baby Macaw's cage in my living room. And I'm going to leave my little Jardine's cage there as well.

My birds are free flighted in the same room. SO glad that we're moving forward with building a sunroom/aviary the first of the year.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ML thank you for starting this thread.

I would like to add;

This syndrome is a sensitivity that a bird may have. You won't know if your bird has this sensitivity until unrepairable damage has been done. Old World and New World birds should not be housed together. I would like to mention that Sun Conures as well as the Macaw Family are sensitive to airborn irritants. An air filter or the opposite wall in a room will not keep the powder down allergen away from a bird that is hyper sensitive to it.

As was earlier posted **** In order to prevent this, South American Species should be housed in well ventilated rooms without Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds or African Grey Parrots. Unfortunately, this pulmonary disease is often advanced when the owner first notices the problem and gets it diagnosed by a trained avian veterinarian familiar with this syndrome. Certain drugs may provide temporary relief, but there is no cure for this syndrome. http://www.thebirdclinic.com/uploadedfiles/pulhyper2009.pdf

Macaw “Asthma” | BluePearl Veterinary Partners

macaw asthma.jpg

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad that you've started this thread. I was going to place my new baby macaw's cage next to my CAG's cage, but now I'm thinking I should do otherwise. The only way I can accommodate his new cage is to move the cages around and put his cage on the opposite wall. They'll still be in the same room, but not next to each other. Do you think that will be suffice?

I have a HEPA filter, but I don't keep it on 24/7. I most certainly will once my macaw comes home.
Don't forget that your Amazon and conures are at risk too. Although not as sensitive to bird dust as macaws, Amazons and conures have been diagnosed with PHD too.

If you can put your dusty and non-dusty birds in separate rooms with forcing the direction of the airflow away from no-dusty birds would be best. Of course,c you would need to run your air-cleaner 24/7 close to the dusty birds cage and possibly get another one to put in the non-dusty bird room.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mike has just been told we are going to be taking cages apart and moving things around here. :hehe: This is a great and very informative thread!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

My opinion; NO, they need separate rooms.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for this topic. Wouldn't dusty birds also be vulnerable to having the same diseases too? Perhaps if living conditions where the cleaning and hygiene was not maintained or living among too many other dusty birds also?

Last edited:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very informative thread, ML.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Now I'm coming to the realization that my baby Jardine's, Bogart, most likely died from this. His cage was right next to Maalik's cage.

I've made the decision to place my baby Macaw's cage in my living room. And I'm going to leave my little Jardine's cage there as well.

My birds are free flighted in the same room. SO glad that we're moving forward with building a sunroom/aviary the first of the year.
Looking at your flock - it may be easier and more effective to put Malik and Ziggy in the living room and then you would have the New World and Old World birds separated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mike has just been told we are going to be taking cages apart and moving things around here. :hehe: This is a great and very informative thread!
Good for you and Mike - I've been concerned about your Amazons.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
OMG. I'm so stressed right now. My pineapple GCC is right next to Maalik's cage. The other conures and Amazon are across the room. Not sure how to remedy this. I can more my pineapple across the room next to the Amazon's cage, but again they're all in the same room.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Looking at your flock - it may be easier and more effective to put Malik and Ziggy in the living room and then you would have the New World and Old World birds separated.
That's a possibility, except for the problem of out of cage time. They wouldn't be able to fly around unless I brought them into the main bird room during their out of cage time.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Give Malik and Ziggy a shower before taking them in to fly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks for this topic. Wouldn't dusty birds also be vulnerable to having the same diseases too? Perhaps if living conditions where the cleaning and hygiene was not maintained or living among too many other dusty birds also?
I don't know for sure, but I do know that it isn't good for any bird to live in less than pretty darned clean conditions. Outside - in the wild - is pretty clean.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My avian vet told me there are clear signs of a bird thats allergic or sensitive to an airborne irritant. Likes sneezing. Random sneezing is normal and healthy. But if you notice a loud frequent (several times per day) sneeze and wet nares, your bird needs to be separated from the dusty ones.

This is always a concern I bring up to my Avian Vet whenever I've taken Mera in. I always ask how her heart and breathing sound and always voice I have cockatoos and I am concerned.

But I will hopefully be adding a stronger air purifier or two or three in the near future as the health of Mera, my cockatoos and my human family are very important to me.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Saemma0235 said:
Yes, they are susceptible. Clean air is important for everyone.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good for you and Mike - I've been concerned about your Amazons.
Yes, the zon girls are in a room with Sterling and Kali.
We have decided to make the bird room the African Grey room.
Now with Kali, she is Old World, I am sure there may be dust but I truly never have any on me when I hold her. My living room is large and I am going to move her there across the room from the zon girls. Thoughts?

We have air purifiers in our LR, bird room and bedroom.