• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Car travel with a Linnie?

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
My parents are 6 hours from me, and my GCC did well in the car.... Although he has thrown up the last two times coming home from the vet.... Not sure if he was just upset or car sick, though.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
My parents are 6 hours from me, and my GCC did well in the car.... Although he has thrown up the last two times coming home from the vet.... Not sure if he was just upset or car sick, though.
Poor guy! Hopefully, it was due to stress from the vet visit and won't be repeated a third time; otherwise, that drive to your parents' home may become rather miserable for him. (I wonder if there's an herbal supplement safe for birds that could quell nausea due to car rides? I know that Ginger Mint by Animal Essentials can settle the stomach but don't know if it's safe for birds--or if it even works on queasiness due to motion.)

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
I traveled a 24hr drive with my Linnie. She HATED it oh boy... the only time she was quiet was when she was eating. I could not have music, she would try to be louder. She calmed down more when I had the cage mostly covered and she could only see ahead. Of course, the drive was split up and stopped multiple times to let her calm down and I end up wearing headphones.

When I picked up my 2nd Linnie, she was much calm. I could only have soft music play.

Now car rides when they are both together it's like no birds there, not even a peep. This is my experience.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I traveled a 24hr drive with my Linnie. She HATED it oh boy... the only time she was quiet was when she was eating. I could not have music, she would try to be louder. She calmed down more when I had the cage mostly covered and she could only see ahead. Of course, the drive was split up and stopped multiple times to let her calm down and I end up wearing headphones.

When I picked up my 2nd Linnie, she was much calm. I could only have soft music play.

Now car rides when they are both together it's like no birds there, not even a peep. This is my experience.
From the last several responses, I've come to understand that Linnies should be paired up for a number of reasons. Clearly, they do much better if they have a friend on whom to rely--especially during travel. It's great info., considering that my husband and I wouldn't handle near-constant vocalizing for even a 2.5-hour drive.

Lulu66

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caroline
I travel with my 3 linnies in a well padded travel box in which I installed a perch, I give them plenty veggies for the trip so they do not get dehydrated and talk to them so they don't feel forgotten. The car trip is 8 hours long and all goes well, eventhough I was very worried the first time. Upon arrival they rediscover their "country cage" and are all happy to be on vacation. As long as they are with us they are happy as we are to be with them!

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I travel with my 3 linnies in a well padded travel box in which I installed a perch, I give them plenty veggies for the trip so they do not get dehydrated and talk to them so they don't feel forgotten. The car trip is 8 hours long and all goes well, eventhough I was very worried the first time. Upon arrival they rediscover their "country cage" and are all happy to be on vacation. As long as they are with us they are happy as we are to be with them!
I'm glad to know this info., as well, since Linnies are on my bird wish list, too. :D