• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Car sick conure (relocation planned, please help!)

PicosBeak

Moving in
Good afternoon!
I’m not sure if this is the incorrect place to post this and if it is I apologize and will move it as appropriate.
I have a 1.5 year old green cheek conure who gets car sick within minutes of being in a moving car. When he was very young it was not an issue, but he was not in a car often. Over the past 6 months, however, it has been terrible and seems to be getting worse and starts earlier. He vomits regardless of car speed, location in the car and wether or not he can see out of his travel cage. We have also tried to give him different perches, different carriers and giving him ginger to chew on, but unfortunately nothing helps. He has a clean bill of heath from an avian vet. And after consulting 2 different vets about the issue we were told that it is not common that birds get car sick and the only possible remedy would be to drive him more frequently on short trips so that he hopefully gets more used to it. one vet suggested that it is more likely a behavioral issue than actual motion sickness. The problem is that he looks so miserable as soon as the car starts moving that I feel bad for subjecting him to it more than necessary. Additionally, we are planning to relocate at the beginning of June and the trip will be over 12 hours (willing you stop at hotels along the way to give the bird breaks). Please, any advice is appreciated. I am so concerned about putting my baby through all this stress and even more concerned about dehydration. 12 hours of vomiting seems like an absolute nightmare for all of us.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Does this bird fly? This seems to be more prevalent in birds that never fledged and do not know how to fly. Tika gets sick as a dog too. My research tells me that it’s because they did not develop critical neural pathways that flight provides at a critical early stage of life.

What has helped somewhat is not feeding (at least very little) before trips. Getting them to eat some form of ginger also helps settle the system some.

I block all side views (and the back if necessary) and only let them look forward. Stuff whizzing by on the sides seems the worst.

It’s not a cure but it helps.

PicosBeak

Moving in
Does this bird fly? This seems to be more prevalent in birds that never fledged and do not know how to fly. Tika gets sick as a dog too. My research tells me that it’s because they did not develop critical neural pathways that flight provides at a critical early stage of life.

What has helped somewhat is not feeding (at least very little) before trips. Getting them to eat some form of ginger also helps settle the system some.

I block all side views (and the back if necessary) and only let them look forward. Stuff whizzing by on the sides seems the worst.

It’s not a cure but it helps.
Thanks so much for the advice. I’ve heard that about birds that aren’t fledged too, but Pico is fully flighted. He fly’s very well too so it’s so confusing that being in the car does this too him. I have tried the ginger before and it did not seem to help, but I’ll continue used it on the off chance that it will make him feel a little bit better.