• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape Parrots?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi there!

I should probably mention, I have decided to foster a bird before getting one, but that doesn't stop me from wondering, hahaha!

I noticed that there are TONS like I mean TONS of info on cockatoos, budgies, etc. but not that much on cape parrots. Does anyone have any experience with them? What I mean is like:

1. Lifespan

2. Any problems behaviorally or physically with cape parrots

3. Temperment

4. Etc.

Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There's probably little info because I think they are really hard to find- at least in the United States. There appears to be a breeder in CA but I never know if those online sites are legitimate or not. I'm not aware of anyone here having one...... ? They seem like really nice birds.

From Wiki:

Aviculture[edit]
Over one hundred P. robustus parrots are kept as cage birds, most of which are wild-caught birds[citation needed] although they do breed reasonably well in captivity. To date there have not been any successful releases of captive birds and the survival of this species is dependent on habitat conservation to maintain wild populations. Trade and export of wild-caught Cape parrots from South Africa has been made illegal by the international CITES agreement (appendix list II) and by South African law. They are rare as pets, despite low-levels of ongoing illegal collection and trade. Those that are kept have demonstrated wonderful personalities, and a talking ability that rivals their larger cousin the grey parrot. A small trade still persists in the related Grey-headed and brown-necked parrots.

Last edited: