• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape parrots drool, huh

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I always thought parrots disnt have the glands to salivate. Apparently Cape parrots and Vasa's do ??

Can any body verify this in their birds or heard of this?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can confirm that Vasas do, in fact, drool. Their saliva glands are located further back in their mouths. There have been times when I would offer Java a treat, and when he opened his mouth, I would see a bubble or film of saliva. I'm not sure about Cape Parrots but Vasas drool, some even like dogs but thankfully, Java isn't a heavy-drooler.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
It was so odd cuz i look over and drool ( i call them shoestrings) was hanging out the end of her beak. I freaked! But then, I read that Capes and Vasa's are known to drool. Can any body verify their Cape drooling to ??

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I can confirm that Vasas do, in fact, drool. Their saliva glands are located further back in their mouths. There have been times when I would offer Java a treat, and when he opened his mouth, I would see a bubble or film of saliva. I'm not sure about Cape Parrots but Vasas drool, some even like dogs but thankfully, Java isn't a heavy-drooler.
I never thought lol. It's quite unique! I was so scared she was having a serious health issue!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I always thought parrots disnt have the glands to salivate.
All birds have saliva glands. Not nearly as many as we do and like @Brittany0208 says they are quite aways back in their throats. That's why we rarely see saliva.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I always thought drool was gross! I never wanted a drooling animal, ever! But I welcome Ariel's drool lol! It's funny how things turn out..

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I always thought parrots disnt have the glands to salivate. Apparently Cape parrots and Vasa's do ??

Can any body verify this in their birds or heard of this?
Well all parrots have saliva glands...most parrots it's farther back in throat and not quite as intense as the vasa and cape. Their sensors or taste buds are not as numerous
In comparison to ours.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As mentioned, they all have saliva glands.

I've heard of cockatoos making spit wads with paper they've chewed up! ;)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
As mentioned, they all have saliva glands.

I've heard of cockatoos making spit wads with paper they've chewed up! ;)
I wouldn't be surprised, someone else told me that a while back as well about " spit wads" ...
One of the reasons parrots do that, chew paper, cloth and wood, is not all about play or keeping beak trimed, they keep the inside of beak clean as well. A matter of good health and hygiene.
Food particles can and do accumulate inside beak. This if not removed by parrot, can get bacteria. And cause problems. With some handicapped birds, they forget or are unable to clean inside of their beak. Thus routine vet visits take care of this.
I had to take sparky in once a month to keep it clean.
he wouldn't do it on his own.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I honestly think it's like glue. Monaco doesn't have visible drool often, but enough to gross me out! And the spots she cleans her beak are like concrete.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I noticed the cleaning of the inside of the beak awhile back. I use a bunch of dishtowells w/ Buddy. Wiping beaks, toweling for eyedrops, etcetera... His towels are getting pretty beat up on the edges but it seems often he'll explore the towels till he finds a thick edge or corner, then he'll use his tongue & scrape the inside of his beak w/ it. Then often he'll push that little wad of gathered food out. I just thought of it like w/ humans, ya' gotta get that piece of popcorn outta the gums... :popcorn2::wtf: