• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape Parrots: A Species Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found the video to be very informative.

It's true that noise tolerance is very subjective. Personally I CANNOT tolerate Mabel's Calls. I find them deafening and abrasive. They make me cringe because it is very LOUD and painful to listen to. I love my hearing protectors. They permit Mabel and I to co-exist in harmony.:)

I don't understand how those with Macaws don't have hearing protectors.

It is all subjective.:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I love the article.:)
The video however is disturbing to me.

Really?? :huh: Why??
I am sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I don't want to detract from your great article.
But, here is what bothers me.
There are six parrots at least, in a cage the size of Kismet's. You can see them being aggressive with one another, because to me it is time for them to be separated. Look at the nicks in the head and wings, from aggression. There are no toys. There are two wires just dangling...it appears this used to be a swing that no longer has the perch, perhaps? The thing that is a swing looks like a death trap waiting to happen. The chain is too close to the perch part for any of them to fit on, and if they did attempt it, it looks like it could twist and ensnare a leg or neck.The wire the cage is made from is also questionable...to me it looks like galvanized wire.

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

I am sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I don't want to detract from your great article.
But, here is what bothers me.
There are six parrots at least, in a cage the size of Kismet's. You can see them being aggressive with one another, because to me it is time for them to be separated. Look at the nicks in the head and wings, from aggression. There are no toys. There are two wires just dangling...it appears this used to be a swing that no longer has the perch, perhaps? The thing that is a swing looks like a death trap waiting to happen. The chain is too close to the perch part for any of them to fit on, and if they did attempt it, it looks like it could twist and ensnare a leg or neck.The wire the cage is made from is also questionable...to me it looks like galvanized wire.
Totally valid points! I too am bothered by the wires hanging that seem to having a missing swing perch.

BUT I will say that I think that this is a temporary cage... a breeding cage definitely not meant to hold all six of them for any extended period of time-- at least I hope. That would be the norm for most breeders.

I also think that they aren't exactly being aggressive with each other personally but that's just my interpretation. Remember that there are four babies in there who are probably very clumsy and accident-prone, which might account for any perceived "nicks."

Also keep in mind that 95% of breeders all used galvanized cages and have for many years with no ill effects. As you know I am a big proponent of stainless steel but, galvanized cages seem to be working for the vast majority of breeders with far more birds and far more experience than I have.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
That's why I find the differences in individuals' tolerances for certain parrot vocalizations SO interesting. (And frustrating! I would definitely have an Aratinga conure if it weren't for my boyfriend's intolerance for the sound.) Even at a low volume, that Cape sound would bother me. My conure can scream right in my ear and, aside from making me temporarily deaf, it doesn't phase me.

Anyway, someday I'm sure I'll spend some time around a Cape in person and I can develop a more informed opinion. The one I saw briefly was smaller than I'd expected (except for that beak!).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

I also think that they aren't exactly being aggressive with each other personally but that's just my interpretation. Remember that there are four babies in there who are probably very clumsy and accident-prone, which might account for any perceived "nicks."

Watch it again. It appears it's mostly the male, he is attacking the female next to him..imo. I think he does it at least twice.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Watch it again. It appears it's mostly the male, he is attacking the female next to him..imo. I think he does it at least twice.
I know which part you're talking about -- I think Ray pointed it out on the original thread on which I posted this video. I will repeat my comment to him... I am fairly certain that if that male were being aggressive and wanted to attack the baby, he could do a LOT more damage than that. To me, that seems more like playful pestering and bothering-- an "I'm bored!!" sort of thing-- than an attack. Or, he might be saying to the baby, "Get away from the big scary video camera over there!"

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Which brings us back to, you cannot make assumptions of what you see in a 2 minute video, right?:lol::hug8:A few toys would be nice though...

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Which brings us back to, you cannot make assumptions of what you see in a 2 minute video, right?:lol::hug8:A few toys would be nice though...
Agreed :) Who knows... you could be right about the behavior. I have very little experience with male Capes and don't know their body language and mannerisms. That's just my guess :) Lola makes swipes like that at my hands all the time when I type but she's just trying to get in on the "fun" and see what all the fuss about these lettered keys is about :) She's not even the least bit aggressive when she does it though... she just wants to know what's going on!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
We have two male Lovebirds and are looking at adopting a male Brown Headed Parrot, but I just can't seem to curb my craving for a Cape, but thinking with my head rather than my heart is challenging but necessary. as the lifespan of a Cape is something I would need to consider.:heart:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
We have two male Lovebirds and are looking at adopting a male Brown Headed Parrot, but I just can't seem to curb my craving for a Cape, but thinking with my head rather than my heart is challenging but necessary. as the lifespan of a Cape is something I would need to consider.:heart:
It is to consider. But if you know in your heart that you will want one down the line to the point of making it happen, then best to do it right away.
I wanted everyone of the species I have, and there was no curbing the want of a Cape. ;)
I delayed getting mine by a few years because of considerations made with the head, but once everything was ok, the heart won :)

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia

It is to consider. But if you know in your heart that you will want one down the line to the point of making it happen, then best to do it right away.
I wanted everyone of the species I have, and there was no curbing the want of a Cape. ;)
I delayed getting mine by a few years because of considerations made with the head, but once everything was ok, the heart won :)
Hello Natacha,

I have been following you on your Pois Blog, Just Poifect (which I recently joined). I'm the member that posted about Barb in Guelph under Soltia Aviary and waiting for her B.H. couple to nest. I'm glad to finally connect with you, as I have connected with other Ontarians on this site (Peter in Milton and Laura in Guelph). I really admire you for your houseful of Pois that you have accumulated over the years (you do need to add a Brown Head though, to settle the flock. That's all, right? Oh no, also a Jardine. That would complete the species).

I can really relate to your relationship with Piper, as I have the same with my two Lutinos and my previous Pied. I am flabbergasted by the journey that occured with Pixel and the stars that came together to reunite you too. You have made tremendous progress with her, given her past. I love your YouTube video with her getting her neck rubbed. Petey is a challenge, but I admire your perseverance with him and also your resignation that he may only be the "boy's" best friend. This risk is what initially scared me off from considering getting a larger parrot than the Lovebirds. And Lea, WOW, that would be my dream. You express my sentiments exactly when you say that if this is what I have my heart set on, I should go for it now, but I don't think I am as brave as you are. Is it true that the female Pois are moodier than the male Pois?

Which breeder did you get Lea from? In case I decide to get a second Pois. I am getting a Brown Head from Barb if Spaz and Taz conceive a male. She said she has a 24x22 HQ playtop cage she may be able to sell me. The cage is another issue that I am struggling with, as quality seems to be questionable in many of the name brand cages. Parrotdise Perch is one place I've been referred to. I prefer to purchase from a store, rather than online because I have heard horror stories about shipping damage. I have also heard about JALPets in Markham. Any suggestions?

I have been told about other breeders such Parrot Farm and Wandering Wings for Pois, in the GTA area, for possibly Capes. Have you heard of these? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
:hmmm:
Sylvia S.
a.k.a. - Lovebird Lady

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Hello Natacha,

I have been following you on your Pois Blog, Just Poifect (which I recently joined). I'm the member that posted about Barb in Guelph under Soltia Aviary and waiting for her B.H. couple to nest. I'm glad to finally connect with you, as I have connected with other Ontarians on this site (Peter in Milton and Laura in Guelph). I really admire you for your houseful of Pois that you have accumulated over the years (you do need to add a Brown Head though, to settle the flock. That's all, right? Oh no, also a Jardine. That would complete the species).

I can really relate to your relationship with Piper, as I have the same with my two Lutinos and my previous Pied. I am flabbergasted by the journey that occured with Pixel and the stars that came together to reunite you too. You have made tremendous progress with her, given her past. I love your YouTube video with her getting her neck rubbed. Petey is a challenge, but I admire your perseverance with him and also your resignation that he may only be the "boy's" best friend. This risk is what initially scared me off from considering getting a larger parrot than the Lovebirds. And Lea, WOW, that would be my dream. You express my sentiments exactly when you say that if this is what I have my heart set on, I should go for it now, but I don't think I am as brave as you are. Is it true that the female Pois are moodier than the male Pois?

Which breeder did you get Lea from? In case I decide to get a second Pois. I am getting a Brown Head from Barb if Spaz and Taz conceive a male. She said she has a 24x22 HQ playtop cage she may be able to sell me. The cage is another issue that I am struggling with, as quality seems to be questionable in many of the name brand cages. Parrotdise Perch is one place I've been referred to. I prefer to purchase from a store, rather than online because I have heard horror stories about shipping damage. I have also heard about JALPets in Markham. Any suggestions?

I have been told about other breeders such Parrot Farm and Wandering Wings for Pois, in the GTA area, for possibly Capes. Have you heard of these? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
:hmmm:
Sylvia S.
a.k.a. - Lovebird Lady
To keep this thread about Capes, I'll send you a PM ;)

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Thanks Natacha, I received your PM. Very informative. My parents live in the Montreal area so I will research Capes there. I cannot yet reply to PMs or post them as I am only at post #14 or maybe #15 with this one, but I have added you as a friend.;)

Sylvia

LuvMyRB2

Walking the driveway
Sorry to bump an older thread, but just wanted to thank Coco for posting this--it's terrific and really informative. I'm so looking forward to getting my little Cape guy or girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.