• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Advice

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Hi everyone, so I’m watching my friend’s lovebird and I just need some advice. From what I’ve seen seen, they’re not taking very good care of him. He is kept outside—in the heat of the Arizona summer, where it can get up to 120°—isn’t tamed, not many toys (at least he doesn’t really know how to play with them), etc. They’ve told me to work with him and try to tame him while I’m watching him, but in the span of a week that they’re on vacation I won’t be able to. I can tell he’s deathly afraid of humans, I’ll be hanging out in the room his cage is in and look over to check on him, and he’ll immediately dart away into a little coconut nesting box—not my favorite perch option, but at least it gives him shade and shelter when he’s outside at their house.

I really don’t know what to do—I fear that there really isn’t that much I can do. He’s taken care of by my friend’s younger sister, and while she seems very responsible, I don’t agree with someone as young as her taking care of a bird. They claim that the reason he’s outside is because he’s “too loud”—although in my experience, his chirps aren’t really that loud. I plan on telling them that there really won’t be any chance of taming him if he’s kept outside, but I believe that’s probably their parents’ decision, and as a minor, I can’t do much about that.

He really is a sweet bird, though. I let him come out of his cage and put on a video of lovebirds for him and he was so happy—flying around, chirping, just, well, being a bird. I’m hoping that maybe if I tell them they need to keep him inside they might listen, as they know that I know a lot about birds.

Does anybody have any other ideas I can try to convince them to take better care of him?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s a sad read. It must be hard for you seeing that bird.

To start, tell your friend to forget ¨taming¨in a week. The chances of that happening are so slim, almost nil. So there is no point in allowing her to think it´s a possibility, as when you don´t achieve this, they will be discouraged from believing that it is possible over a longer period of time.

Explain to them that they shouldn´t have a lone lovebird outside. Lovebirds need company. So they should consider a second bird to live with the first, which will create more noise and a slimmer chance of ever ¨taming¨ (as they like to call it) him OR bring the bird inside and include him in the family. Obviously the second option is the best. To leave a bird outside in the sun, a shelter must be provided so they can always choose between sun or shade, as well as a bird bath to regulate their own temperature.

I´m assuming this bird lives in a large aviary? If not, he needs one if they plan on leaving him outside so that he and his new buddy can fly around and also large enough to put large natural perches in to mimick trees and provide bird safe foliage to provide shade and foraging opportunities.

I hope you are able to improve this little guys life, good luck ❤

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
No, he does not live in an aviary. They keep him in a cage (I didn’t get the dimensions, but as a guess I’d say it’s probably around 21 x 12 x 12 inches, way too small for a lovebird who spends all of his time in there) on the porch in their backyard. Its somewhat shaded, but still, even in the shade, Arizona summers are HOT. They told me he had a friend, but she passed away. They were talking about getting him another friend, but I thought that may not be a good idea as it would just double the amount of noise, and probably discourage them even more of the idea of bringing him into the house.

Yeah, I could tell that maybe since I have a cockatiel myself who’s tame they were hoping I would be able to “tame” him. Sure, give me half a year—probably more—and I might be able to, but it depends on the bird. It took me two months for Clover to finally get used to me, step up, allow me to give her head scritches, etc. But she wasn’t afraid of humans, just not used to being bonded with them. For him, it would take much longer to get him to stop biting and not be so afraid of people. I’m going to try to at least lower his fear of people, but for now I’m just letting him get some well needed exercise by flying in my room.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All you can do is lay down the facts and hope they take steps to better this birds life.

Tell them,
-The minimum cage size for an indoors bird is 18x18x18. That is basically a sleep cage. A nice little cage for a lovie is 18x18x30 or bigger - the bigger the better.
-An outdoor bird needs a good size aviary. About the size of a car and a good 2 metres tall filled with branches and foliage and most importantly a friend.
These are basic needs for a small bird. On top of that the bird needs a good healthy diet.

I understand this family are your friends but maybe sit down and discuss the future of this little bird because to leave him living like that, they would be better off rehoming him.
Just be careful how you word it as to not offend them. There´s no shame in them finding a new home for this bird, as long as his life betters, then that is all that matters.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah, I agree. I was trying to think of a way of telling them without offending them. I’m thinking of telling them that being inside is best for the bird, and he’ll be much happier with a larger cage. I’ll also encourage their idea of getting him a friend. I don’t know where they were keeping him when he was inside their house, but I’ll suggest ideas that might work for them and limit the amount of noise they hear, perhaps the younger sister’s room, where she can take care of him and also let him out to hang out outside of his cage. If they say they won’t be able to do any of this, I’ll suggest the idea of rehoming him.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it. I want to make sure this little guy can get the best life possible, whether that be inside their house with them or rehomed with somebody else.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was trying to think of a way of telling them without offending them.
In life, this is an art form.

Those are some great ideas.

Also tell them about foraging. If they know a certain time of day when he gets a bit more vocal, they can offer some foraging activities beforehand.
Foraging; An easy How-to | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I have 6 lovies and when we have conference calls we need as close to silence as possible, and we manage it largely down to foraging. (but also having good size cages and plenty of flight time). Also worth noting, I´m not Mary Poppins and sometimes my birds do get noisy and there´s nothing I can do about it.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah, that’s a great idea! I’ve tried putting some obvious treats in some of Clover’s unused toys to encourage him to forage. I’ll suggest to them to do that as well, and maybe get him some foraging toys.

Parrots are just naturally noisy, Ive never met a parrot that isn’t, but some are louder than others. Even the smallest budgies can make lots of noise, but with the right care and stimulation, you can definitely limit that noise. We also give Clover toys to limit the noise she makes when my mom is on a call, as Clover loves to hang out next to my mom while she’s working and I’m at school. That’s a really good idea to suggest to them!

I’m planning on writing a few “tips” on the back of the instruction care paper they gave me. Tips like how they can make sprouts, which I’ve offered him during his visit and he seems to love, how to get him to forage and play with his toys, how to get him comfortable with people, and most importantly, finding a place inside where his cage will go. I’m really hoping they’ll take these into consideration so he can have the best life possible.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great! :)
Maybe you and your friend can DIY some activities too. It is fun and it will help them. Foraging doesn´t have to be super expensive.

Parrots are just naturally noisy
The irony is my first bird was silent most of the time. Still is really. Every now and then he lets out his signature ¨PiPew!¨ and then is quiet.
But yea you are totally right about managing the noise level.

Remember to explain to them to give the bird the activity/toy before the noise starts, if they do it after then he will associate making noise with receiving something fun.

I’m planning on writing a few “tips” on the back of the instruction care paper they gave me. Tips like how they can make sprouts, which I’ve offered him during his visit and he seems to love, how to get him to forage and play with his toys, how to get him comfortable with people, and most importantly, finding a place inside where his cage will go. I’m really hoping they’ll take these into consideration so he can have the best life possible.
That´s awesome! I really hope they make some of the changes you recommend. It has to start with housing first though, otherwise nothing will change.
Here´s my fave link for sprouting info: Some general info on sprouting .. thought it might be helpful | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Of course! I also agree that the housing part is most important, he won’t care about playing with foraging toys if he’s too worried about staying cool and sheltered from the noises outside.

Thank you for your helpful advice. I’m hoping they’ll take this into consideration :pinksmile:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Hey I’m in AZ too, because of the feral population a lot of people feel okay keeping their lovebirds outside. I disagree with the practice, but I do understand parents make the rules. One thing they need to be aware of is hawks. They can easily yank a lovebird out of a cage like that. My sister briefly had a lovebird and my mom put him outside for some “fresh air” (aka quiet) when she heard him screaming in a way she’d not heard before, we went outside together and each on their own pillar surrounding the cage were four huge hawks. His chirping attracted them and he was caged, unable to flee or hide. We got lucky, but the takeaway is: if you put (captive) prey outdoors in the desert, expect predators to find them. The parents may be motivated to prevent their kids from having to witness this gory reality.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Does anybody have any other ideas I can try to convince them to take better care of him?
Any bird that gets left outside and I find out about it. It just disappears. I couldn't care less about the POS owner.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I really don’t know what to do—I fear that there really isn’t that much I can do. He’s taken care of by my friend’s younger sister, and while she seems very responsible, I don’t agree with someone as young as her taking care of a bird. They claim that the reason he’s outside is because he’s “too loud”—although in my experience, his chirps aren’t really that loud. I plan on telling them that there really won’t be any chance of taming him if he’s kept outside, but I believe that’s probably their parents’ decision, and as a minor, I can’t do much about that.
This person has absolutely no capacity to look after this bird. It's doomed. You now have possession of this bird. (possession is 9/10's of the law. They would not stand a chance of getting it back if you wanted to keep it) Tell them it died/got killed/escaped and "save its life". It's absolutely no different than if they left it outside and it was killed/stolen/escaped/died. They probably wouldn't even notice right away.

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Lovebirds are so called because of how strongly they bond, so this poor little birdie has to be depressed, hence not touching his toys. Let me guess, they feed him all seeds and dirty water? If not willing to improve his life they should seriously consider rehoming (maybe to you!) as this poor thing is just existing and not living.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
If you’re planning on telling them that the bird died/escaped/whatever and you can’t keep him for any reason, I would be more than happy to take him in.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Sarah Rose Maybe your friends family would be happy rehoming the bird with someone who has experience with the species and has other lovebirds there for the bird to interact with (Maggie).......?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
;) I even have a solo PFL, I’ll be honest this thread has made me feel a bit guilty about her being on her own and bonded with me as her “mate” they really do seem so much happier in pairs. Granted bonding is never guaranteed but at least he’d be an inside bird with toys and friends and free flight :)

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
He’s going home tonight. I can’t do that, I’ll recommend that they rehome him if they’re not able to give him correct care. I’d love to take him— but that’s their own decision of whether he’s rehomed or not. I’m writing them a note talking about correct care, I plan on suggesting rehoming if they won’t do any of the care tips I’m suggesting. He’s actually on a pelleted diet, I don’t know about his water though.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’m writing them a note talking about correct care, I plan on suggesting rehoming if they won’t do any of the care tips I’m suggesting.

A very good idea :)
I hope they make some changes, whatever those changes be.
Let them know that you know someone in the area that has rescued numerous lovebirds and would take in this little guy should they want to rehome him ;)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
He’s going home tonight. I can’t do that, I’ll recommend that they rehome him if they’re not able to give him correct care.
I completely respect that. I love the idea of care tips and recommendations! I hope that they are receptive to your advice and that they are willing to do the right thing by him, whatever that may be.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you! He’s gone home now. I gave them a paper explaining that it’s best to bring him inside. I have a feeling they’re going to take him to a vet, they thought he might be sick because he had been acting strange before I took care of him. If they don’t do any of my recommendations, they’ll probably listen to a vet about keeping him inside and improving his care.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Good news: he’s now inside! I’m really happy, she seems to have taken my advice and brought him in. He even has a friend now! Apparently they were cuddling together! Thank you everybody for the advice, it seems to have definitely payed off!