• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can't tell if cockatiel eggs are infertile?

Gallows

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
This is my female cockatiel's first time having eggs. She's done a great job incubating and rolling them consistently, so I have a lot of hope. However, when I candle her eggs, I can't tell whether they're infertile or not.

Her first egg was laid nine days ago. She has four eggs now, and it seems like that will be all for her this time around.

In every egg, there is a white mass at the base that stays in place, resembling a normally-sied air sac. One of the eggs has a tilted air sac.

Now, here's where it gets confusing: all of the eggs have yellow middles. However, there are dark yellow/red masses toward the top of the eggs. I can't seem to make out any obvious veins. Any opinions? It would be greatly appreciated. I tried taking a picture, but my camera refused to focus no matter how hard I tried. Thanks!

Gallows

Avenue Veteran
Thank you for sharing! I'm going to grab another candler because I think my current one is too dim. Judging by the video, my eggs don't seem to have the clear, defined veins that theirs do at eight days old - if the new candler doesn't provide any new results, I'll consider them duds. Let her sit on them for a week or so more, check again, and remove them if nothing shows. I wasn't able to find that video!! It's very informative. Thanks again!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for sharing! I'm going to grab another candler because I think my current one is too dim. Judging by the video, my eggs don't seem to have the clear, defined veins that theirs do at eight days old - if the new candler doesn't provide any new results, I'll consider them duds. Let her sit on them for a week or so more, check again, and remove them if nothing shows. I wasn't able to find that video!! It's very informative. Thanks again!
Always a good idea to wait even if you've candled and haven't seen anything. There are a few other youtube videos that show people candling 'tiel eggs. Just go to youtube a do a search using the words....candle cockatiel eggs

Gallows

Avenue Veteran

Got a picture! I don’t think any of these eggs are viable though. It’s been 10 days for the oldest. Better luck next time though, right?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see any veins forming. Has mom been sitting on them? I remember candling a pair of red-bellied eggs and they just looked dark. Didn't see any veins. I had shaken the eggs because I didn't want any more babies and I did that instead of refrigerating. Left the eggs with mom and dad so she wouldn't lay again and wound up with two beautiful female red-bellied babies, Sophie & Claudé.
Even if they are infertile (and it does look like they are) leave them in for about 3 more weeks so she doesn't start laying again. If you don't want babies go out and buy some dummy eggs.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Nope I don't think that they are fertile either sorry.

Gallows

Avenue Veteran
I don't see any veins forming. Has mom been sitting on them? I remember candling a pair of red-bellied eggs and they just looked dark. Didn't see any veins. I had shaken the eggs because I didn't want any more babies and I did that instead of refrigerating. Left the eggs with mom and dad so she wouldn't lay again and wound up with two beautiful female red-bellied babies, Sophie & Claudé.
Even if they are infertile (and it does look like they are) leave them in for about 3 more weeks so she doesn't start laying again. If you don't want babies go out and buy some dummy eggs.
The mom has been sitting on them consistently. She's actually done a very good job, as has the male. And although I don't usually mate my birds (aside from the budgies), we were hoping for offspring from this female cockatiel in particular. We'll leave them in for a while longer, check again, and dispose of them from there. :) Thanks for all of the support.